Early morning deer sighting at the Squirrel Tree

So I looked out the front window at 2:30 this morning before letting Scar out...something I normally do since I occasionally get skunks in the yard and I don't want him tangling with one...and had my second deer sighting of the year. There was a doe right out front at the Squirrel Tree. I was backlit by the hallway light I had turned on as I passed the switch and she saw me, but she didn't act real concerned about it, just looked at me through the window for a moment and then sauntered off. Of course, I don't have a photo...it's dark, and I didn't have the camera in my hands, and she didn't wait for me to go get it. But now I am wondering how many deer are actually roaming around in town unseen by people. Olney isn't huge, by any means...9,000 people...and I am a good half-mile inside the town, although the railroad tracks at the end of the yard have more of a rural feel to them than the town does, but still... That's my third deer this year after I had two young bucks show up at the end of the yard a few weeks ago. Still no possum or fox sightings in the yard, although I know they are around. Maybe I'll get lucky before the summer is over and see one of them too.
@nomus24g (23741)
no pic?
Not at 2:30 in the morning, it is still night out and she didn't wait for me to go get my camera and change the setting for night photos
@nomus24g (23741)
@JolietJake hmmm, that's true...I equated it with my time here :)
@nomus24g I froze as soon as I saw her hoping she wouldn't notice me and I could get the camera, but no luck
That can be dangerous when deer are within a city or town's limits. I hope for their sake that all of the town-dwelling deer stay near your place, it sounds like its quiet in your area and they would be safer.
They have been known to break out windows at the college and go roaming through the halls there
@JolietJake In the town close to where we used to live they would do that in the "better" neighbourhoods on the out-skirts of town. And not too many homes are large enough for a deer or two to be roaming thru, so the homes would get trashed. They would always do a cull about the time that the deer were roaming around in town.
@Juliaacv The college is right on the northwest edge of town with fields abutting it and they show up there fairly often
Your yard can already be a mini zoo, with all those different animals visiting it.
I should really put a camera outside to see what all I miss while I am sleeping
@JolietJake I agree. That is a great idea indeed. You will be surprised what animals came to visit.
Where are you?. Like you can see deer roaming freely?
I am in town, I have them show up occasionally. These two were at the end of the yard a few weeks ago.
Oh, deer! Oh deer!
I love to see deer come into our yard. However, I have seen none since our move last year. Our last home was near a wooded area and we often had deer in the back and side yard. We also had foxes, squirrels, bears, rabbits, possums, woodchucks, and on occasion a coyote.
@ilocosboy (34401)
Maybe those deers are commonly roaming at that time. Deer is endangered species in my country
@vsai2008 (7689)
You must be having gala time..have camera though, next time LOL good day :)
Yes bunches of wildlife..you are blessed to have them there JJ.
I really do need to invest in a TrailCam to put outside
@JolietJake Oh yeah that would be good.
Does Scar licks his chops over venison when seeing a deer?
I think he wants to jump on and ride...
I have a feeling many more deer than people realize, if they are careful, it's a safe place to graze and sleep.