Gotta do what you gotta do

Pixabay image
Rochester, New York
My youngest nephew S is a junior and dropped out of school 2 weeks before he was due to be released for the summer. Something happened at school and S was expelled for a few days. He and his older brother have been dealing with a lot of crap that's to their estranged mother. Not only did she cheat on my brother with one of his no ex best friend's, she emptied the youngest's bank account and then forced my brother to put the house on the market to be sold. She refused to wait until the youngest was finished with school. At my aunts wake, mum started in with the whole drop out of school lecture and I told her that the wake was not the right place for that. It made S feel very uncomfortable. I stepped in and hugged him. I told him quietly that while I wasn't happy with his decision that I support him because he knows what's best for him and no one else can tell him anything different. From what I read between the lines his brother and I are the only ones who are accepting of his decision. Well S is not just sitting home doing nothing, he's working and saving money. From what I understand he's working two jobs. Time Horton's and also at a pizza place delivering pizza's. Right now though he's happy and plans to get his GED at a later date. S is dealing with a lot of emotional garbage right now thanks to his mother. I would rather see him drop out and work on helping himself heal than to sink into an even darker place where we can't reach and help him.
• Richfield, Utah
Thats sad, but I agree, you gotta do what you gotta do. My own nephew graduates with a GED next spring, but he did his online, because school just isn't for him.
• Rochester, New York
I'll have to see if the GED classes are available online here for him. Maybe that would be better for him.
That's sad. I hope it all works out for both boys. A wake is no place for comments like that.
• Rochester, New York
I know I gave my mom that lecture in the car on the way to the memorial service.
@SanyoSan (513)
• Sri Lanka
Keep on showing him you care for him
• Rochester, New York
I will always show him how much I love him. :)
@hereandthere (29634)
good to know that he's working and saving up and has plans to study later. you're a great aunt to them.
• Rochester, New York
I try to be there when I can.
@LisaSteinmetz it's always good to have an aunt, uncle, grandparent or cousin you can turn to
It's nice to hear that he is being responsible and not just hanging out with friends all of the time. It's great that kids can take their GEDs now days. My granddaughter was bored silly with school so she quit but went and got her GED.
• Rochester, New York
He was having a hard time concentrating in school so he left. He wants to work and get some funds saved up so that he will still be able to keep up with his bills.
@LisaSteinmetz ......That's smart. It is a good characteristic to be looking ahead like he is.
It sounds like he needs all of the support he can get right now so I'm glad he has you in his corner fighting for him.
• Rochester, New York
Thanks. He's got a strong support system behind him and he seems to be feeling a bit better.
@LisaSteinmetz That's so good! =)
• Preston, England
sounds like he is very lucky to have you as a safety net just now
• Rochester, New York
I try to be there for my nephews when I can.
• Preston, England
@LisaSteinmetz great that you do that
I hope your nephew can deal with all that's going on and it sounds like he's a smart boy and will be successful.
• Rochester, New York
He's a really smart guy, just dealing with a lot of garbage and trying to sort things out.
I would do the same for my nephew. It may not be what we would do but if he is working and saving money then he should be just fine. Who knows he might become a self made millionaire! Not everybody is necessarily a good match for schools