Just $199 to provide a home for the homeless

@scheng1 (24807)
Singapore
I read from the newspaper about Billion Bricks. They are a non-profit organization that has an unique product to help the homeless. The product is WeatherHYDE. It is a tent that is easy to setup, and can provide a family to sleep in. The product is made in such a way that during cold weather, it will keep the occupants warm. When it is hot, it will keep them cool. The cost of the tent, includes shipping is $199. The volunteers who identify the recipient will upload picture and information about the family.
WeatherHYDE is the world's only reversible all season family tent designed to save the lives of homeless and vulnerable living in extreme weather. weatherHYDE is a solution by billionBricks, a Singapore based non-profit organisation that uses design to sol
This is a good idea.
@scheng1 (24807)
The story behind it is very beautiful. The engineer quit his job to design this tent, and to start this non-profit organization to provide home for the homeless.
@scheng1 He must have some good funds to be able to quit his job. Good man.
@scheng1 (24807)
@TiarasOceanView No. He's just a normal person with a good heart and a simple life, and a lot of good friends. It is a non-profit organization.
That's so cool! It may not work here because it concerns about many things. But it will still be great for the campers, I guess.
@scheng1 (24807)
I think when disaster strikes, the easiest way to provide for the victims is to get a lot of these tents. The current Xinmo landslide disaster is a good example. The villagers have no home now, so having a tent is good before they get a fully-built up houses. I think this tent will help a lot of people, not just the homeless people.
@scheng1 You are right. When Sichuan earthquake happened, perhaps I could donate my tent. But I think my tent is for travel and it is not so practical for the real disaster. I donated money instead.
@scheng1 (24807)
@youless That is true. I think the tent that the army used is much better, but then the tent is not meant for the victims to stay in for months and months, and the army tent is not that easy to set up. This tent that the engineer invented is much better. The setting up is easy, and does not need to peg against something.
@vsai2008 (7657)
My goodness I looked up a bit and this WeatherHYDE is in my country as well.. Thanks a lot for sharing this :) Means a lot for me
A tent, designed by Singapore-based, non-profit organization BillionBricks, is weather-resistant and spacious, with the ability to fit a family of two adults and three children.
@scheng1 (24807)
Of course. It's designed by an oversea Indian engineer for the poor homeless ones in India.
@vsai2008 (7657)
@scheng1 And me being ignorant, didnt even know this LOL thanks for letting me know this well
@epiffanie (10413)
We have something like this here in Australia and I think they call it the swag ...
@scheng1 (24807)
Not exactly the same, because the cover for the tent is made of 2 layers. When the weather is hot, you flip it over, so that the aluminium foil faces outside, and it can reflect heat away. The interior will be cool. In winter, the tent is like the picture shown. It will trap heat, and keep the occupants warm.
A truly special man. I might star volunteering in this organization that helps people without enough money. They have a food bank. Pack backpacks with things like tooth brushes and toothpaste my case manager says they may be accepting volunteers. It is close enough to me to walk since I can't drive I would' love that.
@scheng1 (24807)
Wow, that is definitely good. I think you can check around to see if any volunteering opportunities in other charities near your house. Sometimes when they have an event, they just need volunteers for the occasion. The work can include packing goodie bag or on the actual event day to mann the booth or serve drinks or something else. I always admire those volunteers when I go for charity walks. I do not volunteer since I will bring my aged mother along. If she gets tired, we will not stay for the whole event.
This is a much-needed and brilliant idea!!!
This is a great way to help families in need.
@mandala100 (39340)
This is an interesting kind or type of tent.