Have you seen the inside of a Dollar Tree?

Dallas, Texas
I'm talking about that familiar American retail store where everything in the store is a dollar. so, I would have to jokingly ask, "Can I get all this stuff in my cart for only a dollar?" Bad joke. Nobody likes to hear that. They know it all gets taxed anyway. The inside of a Dollar Tree, depending on the demographics of the area, might look spiffy and really well stocked and clean and have friendly people at the registers, but in spite of it being listed in Forbe's fortune 500 the one in Oak Cliff in Wynnewood Village shopping center looks like a mad man went in there and, well if you saw any episodes of FEAR THE WALKING DEAD , you will understand. It looks like a major flood was about to hit the area and panic stricken people went crazy inside the store and emptied out all the shelves and threw items hither and yonder all out of place to the point you might have to spend two hours looking for a pair of reading glasses or that last loaf of Brooklyn Rye for a dollar a loaf. Meantime you see people shopping there, in spite of the ugly mess. I for one, like shopping at the other Dollar Tree, located outside South Dallas, in an area known as Duncanville. That store is tidy, organized, fully stocked and the people shopping there are respectful of the store and don't ransack it like they do in Oak Cliff at Wynnewood Village. Too bad the Kroger store has to run off the shop lifters and make them all go running into the Dollar Tree!
Dollar Express stores were spun off in Dollar Tree deal
That stinks. We have 3 dollar trees within 30-45mins and all are always stocked and clean.
• Dallas, Texas
I guess they lack in management or just have too many shoplifters and pilferers there.
@lookatdesktop who knows. Hope it gets better though.
A shame there is a Dollar Tree that is such a mess. The one near our home is a neat one, thank goodness.
• Dallas, Texas
Many moons ago, Wynnewood Village was a prestigious location for the community to shop. It was fully well occupied with a great variety of local merchants and they once were a thriving place to shop and enjoy. Those days are gone forever. People started moving into the outer cities and Oak Cliff started to downgrade. The City council is working on ways to improve and bring new vitality to this area and so far new condos are being built and the local Bishop Arts District is a good start. There is much room for improvement and maybe one day Dollar Tree in Wynnewood will be once again a great place to enjoy shopping for those one dollar items.
I don't do dollar stores so I've never seen the inside of one.
• Dallas, Texas
You might like it. Have you a reason for not doing such types of retail stores? The price is always a dollar per item but then they do sometimes have two greeting cards for a dollar and there is sales tax. They have a low overhead I guess, to keep them selling everything for a dollar each.
Why don't you do dollar stores? Nothing wrong with them, and they have alot of name brand items. Way better than spending tons of money at other stores.
@Courtlynn I don't know. I'm just not a big "shopper". I'd rather just go to one or two stores and get everything instead of going to a bunch of them. Lately I've been buying pretty much everything at the grocery store (shampoo/conditioner, floor cleaner, paper towels, etc.) when I know I can get it all much cheaper at Target. I just can't be bothered with the extra trip. I'll have more time now in the summer that I'm not working. Discount stores kind of freak me out when they are all overstocked and messy. I went to a Christmas Tree Store once and one time only. People have raved about that place for years and years. They've gotten me some of my favorite things in my house from there. I was so claustrophobic and anxious in that place. No thank you.
@nanette64 (14702)
• Fairfield, Texas
Oh lordy what a mess @lookatdesktop . Do you know what I can't figure out? You would think that Dollar General and Family Dollar (having the word dollar in them) would be like the Dollar Tree. Well no. Yes they are cheaper than most places but there ain't nothin' there that's a Dollar.
• Dallas, Texas
Very misleading by name, @nanette64 . And we often get confused by the Dollar General and Family Dollar stores.
I love dollar tree best but frequenting dollar stores even if the price is more than a dollar
• Dallas, Texas
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I guarantee you there are still shop lifters at Kroger, there is no way to completely eradicate then, unless you simply just never open the door. Our Dollar Tree is very clean.
• Dallas, Texas
Kudos to you for having a nice Dollar Tree in your neck of the woods.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@lookatdesktop I think it also varies by who is working that day. Sometimes it's a little messier than others
• Dallas, Texas
@thislittlepennyearns , Yep. Some days, when the right manager is working and he manages to hire enough workers to stock the store, they can get it looking almost right, but that doesn't last long cause the general public in this area seem to have no respect for the store they shop at and it makes me want to get out fast and go to Duncanville, or Grand Prairie or Arlington to do my shopping.
@Jackalyn (6535)
• Oxford, England
I love our pound shops. The same thing and I have not bought a dustpan and brush or a brook for over £1 in a long time. Or washing up bowls or napkins or washing powder or well anything that works. I am even charging my phone with a lead bought from the £ shop. Now when they do laptops, I will be laughing.
• Dallas, Texas
Sounds like a very nice place. You would not want to buy laptops from them? really.
@Jackalyn (6535)
• Oxford, England
@lookatdesktop i would try one if they did!
There is no sales tax in Oregon so everything in Dollar Tree really is a dollar each.
• Dallas, Texas
Do they also not have a state lottery? Just guessing.
we have a 99cent store but you have to be careful as some produc e here is outdated badly and I hac some rolls that had mold on tem iggj
• Dallas, Texas
That IS bad! We have a store in Dallas that handles over stocked food and out of date donated food from other places like Kroger and Walmart. They have been in business a long time and even my wife and I go there sometimes. The thing is, you have to be careful, cause not everything they sell is fresh and sometimes bugs do get into the flour. Uggh.
@RubyHawk (21164)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I love Dollar Tree.We have one near us and it's always well stocked and spiffy. You can buy the same items there that cost much more in other stores. They buy from over stocked stores at give away prices. You can also buy books that sell for high prices at Krogers and other stores. I save money shopping there.
• Dallas, Texas
Good thing for you. I like the candy and greeting cards as well as the staples like napkins and glasses and bathroom accessories.
@RubyHawk (21164)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@lookatdesktop I go often and I'm never disappointed with the products.
• Dallas, Texas
@RubyHawk It's always good to find bargains. A penny saved, and all that.
The Dollar Tree here is just fine. Maybe a little messy but nothing drastic.
• Dallas, Texas
You live in a better area then. It all has to do with demographics. The area I live in is full of problems and namely the condition of the stores in my area of the woods suffers from having people who just don't manage things well and the customer base leaves something to be desired. It was not always this way. And there are still many well meaning clerks and customers mixed in all of this. It's just not the ideal geographic area on the planet for retail.
• Richfield, Utah
@lookatdesktop agreed, ive been to many dollar tree locations, and the ones that are in the ghetto area ones are the worst ones.
• Dallas, Texas
7/22 Tweet The Official Biography of Richard Pryor From Peoria, Illinois poverty to Hollywood affluence. From abandonment by his mother to adoration from millions of fans. From a childhood in a brothel to eight marriages (twice to the same woman) and sev
@Hate2Iron (7310)
I definitely miss the Dollar Stores of the US... we have Dollar Stores here where nothing is a dollar. After getting used to the DS for the last 5 years, wasn't at all impressed having to pay an extra quarter for everything here :(.
• Dallas, Texas
I know it. The Motts five and dime or rather, dime store and M.E. Moses dime stores were THE place to shop for kids and mothers with children. They were conveniently located in the local shopping centers back in the 1960s and 1970s, in Dallas, back in the days of my youth.But the things they sold in the dime stores were of course varied in price from under 10 cents to as high as many dollars. But the variety and types of things they had to offer was better for a small store then than the big box superstores of today. Then you could actually find the exit in under a minute.
@PatZAnthony (11948)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We have two of these near our house. One is always a mess with tons of boxes in the aisles, perhaps b/c it is near a movie theater, so they would have more customers. We don't care so much about the mess because the prices for odds and ends are just a dollar.
• Dallas, Texas
I like bargains but hate ugly stores. Bottom line is I prefer not to shop in untidy and messy stores. Conversely, the Tom Thumb in our area is so well stocked and orderly that I shop there with my wife at least every now and then, even though their prices give you sticker shock at times.
There's one that looks the way you describe here but the one we go to is really nice, in a smaller town so things are well kept. =)
• Dallas, Texas
Big cities like Dallas are full to the neck with ugly retail places. I hate the way they are but have to sometimes even deal with the dirty floors in a local CVS pharmacy near us.
@LeaPea2417 (16082)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is too bad that store had that happen. The Dollar Tree in our town is always nice and neat when I shop there, thank goodness.
• Dallas, Texas
I am hoping that perhaps, under new management sometime in the future changes will be met to make the Dollar Tree in Wynnewood Village like new again. But I won't be crossing my fingers just yet. I have no idea what direction the entire shopping center will go in the near future.
@LeaPea2417 (16082)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@lookatdesktop I hope it doesn't go out of business.
• Dallas, Texas
The Dollar Tree store near me is excellent and tidy and clean..I rarely go there though as it is a bit far..I like the store.
• Dallas, Texas
I do like the store, but hate this one's messiness. Maybe they will do a quick recovery and if they do I will be very pleased. Meantime, I would like to purchase my own Dollar Tree. They say money don't grow on trees. Oh well, just a thought.
@lookatdesktop I wish you could that would be great Anthony.
@hillhjill (4100)
my Dollar Tree is very clean and they just redid the place.. now the next town over there Dollar Tree is in very bad shape and you cant even get what you want because it is blocked with other stuff that is in the way or not stocked.. so yeah I dont go to that one.
• Dallas, Texas
It is apparent that the customers in most cases are causing some stores in certain locations to fall by the way side. Not the fault of the company nor management, just a fact that in some areas of some cities, Dallas, in particular and probably most large cities, have too much customer traffic and not enough manpower to keep them under damage control. The man who works at the Dollar Tree in Oak Cliff told me he knows that the candy aisle is constantly being hit by large volumes of customers, who buy candy in his store because it is one of the things that keeps the customers coming back for more. He took off 2 weeks for vacation and returned and had to restock the entire candy aisle. He was doing a great job. His area was looking good.