Want a Vacation, Put in For it a Year in Advance. Then Have it Yanked Out From Under You!

My husband usually puts in for the week of July 4th for a vacation. In order for me to get that same time off I need to submit the request a year in advance. The summer vacation slots fill up fast. Well, because I had to take 3 weeks off because of not having daycare for our granddaughter, I used up my earned time. When I got back to work I was able to get the time back. But, due to lack of clients, I had time that I had to fill each week in order to get my 37 1/2 hours. This left me with very little time. So, not wanting to leave myself without a paycheck for the week of the 4th, I had a couple of days where I didn't file the time so I could save it for that week. My supervisor told me that I couldn't do that. I had to use my time to make up for the hours missed because I am a full time employee. Not only did she say I had to use my earned time, but I should probably not take the vacation time. So, even though I really need the time off to get a much needed breather, I am going to work the week. I still need to have a meeting with the supervisor to discuss my missing time from work. I fear that they will have me go per diem and that will not be a good thing financially for us. Maybe it is time to actively look for a different job. I wish it were that easy.
Per diem is never a good thing.
I hear the per diem workers complaining all the time about not getting enough hours.
@ElusiveButterfly I am so sorry this is happening. I think vacations are good for making are important especially for those who need the time off because as you said you are about to snap like a dried twig Will be thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way. Think positively and hopefully you will feel better What is a per diem? To whatsoever refer?
@Marty1 per diem is a term used for workers who are only as needed. Some per diem workers dictate their own schedules as to when they are available. They usually are non-benefited employees.
I have never heard of not filing your work time and then using it at a later date. It sounds like time to find other work. I had to put in my vacation time a year in advance too. Then we started having mandatory Sundays and I hated that.
There was a time when I enjoyed working the weekends. Took me away from being around my exidiot! Now I enjoy having time off for fun things with my husband and family.
@ElusiveButterfly .....I so agree. And by the time I had reached this last employer I worked for before my early retirement I had already worked enough weekends to last me a lifetime. Worked the graveyard shift at one place way past the time they had specified I would get a day shift. It does get old. Especially when you have family.
@celticeagle I worked retail where I had to work evenings and weekends. That was not fun at all. I did work evening shifts where I was away at dinner time. That isn't going to happen again either. I am so done with jobs that require you to give up way too much of your personal time.
I'm so sorry. Since my career was teaching, our vacation days were in our contract every year. That sounds like a depressing mess for you.
I told my supervisor that I realized that I wouldn't get much of a paycheck. She said that I am supposed to be using my earned time for any time missed. I don't have enough time to cover my vacation time off so I can't take it. I need the time off. I am so stressed I could snap like a dry twig.
@ElusiveButterfly It's not worth feeling like you want to snap like a twig. Can you put feelers out for another job?
@DianneN I have many years in office administration. Not certain I want that again. Not certain I even have the skills required of that type of work anymore. My skills are rusty and outdated.
@Blondie2222 (22380)
Well i'm sorry you have to cancel your vacation time because you don't have enough time left to use. Hopefully that means you can take a week off some other time in the future. I took 10 days off work july 1st thru 10th and it's my first real vacation i've had in awhile. I'll be using up all my vacation time i have left then I will have to build it back up again. Hopefully you guys can still do fun things the week of the 4th when you get out of work.
We will probably go fishing if we can find a good spot. Of course we will be seeing a fireworks display too!
@Blondie2222 (22380)
@ElusiveButterfly That is cool, sounds fun.
I'm sorry you aren't able to take your vacation. It does sound like it's time for something new. I'll keep you in prayer about that as well.
Thank you Valerie. Seems like a lot is being tossed our way lately. I know that we will get through it all.
@ElusiveButterfly We always do. It always looks impossible, but somehow it always works itself out.
@FourWalls (14639)
I'm sorry. When I worked at the post office, you had to put in for vacation a year in advance, and the time off was awarded in order of seniority (meaning if someone senior to you wanted the same week you wanted, they got it and you didn't). That caused a lot of hurt feelings because people who didn't like others would deliberately bump them out of vacation time. I had that happen to me: I wanted to take Derby Week off because I lived near the track, and someone said, "Oh, you're not getting that week." Sure enough, I got bumped. It's not new or unique. It is, however, universally frustrating.
The first one to request the time gets it off at our work. However, because I haven't enough earned time to use to get a full paycheck they are requesting I not take it off. The decision to not get a full paycheck should be my own. You would think they would be happy not to have to pay a full week.
I hope it will all work out for you so you do not have to look for a different job.
Once I get over the summer I'll have enough earned time to do as I wish. However, I will probably still keep my eye out for another job. One that I don't have to work weekends would be lovely.