Nasturtium Time Again

@Raelove (17749)
Saco, Maine
I've been growing nasturtiums in pots for many years, and I can honestly say that I never tire of them. They spend several weeks producing greenery, which includes distinctive round leaves that are not unlike the sand dollars one finds on a beach in summer. Then, almost over night, there are the buds opening, revealing their bright orange, yellow, and multicolored blossoms. This year, I decided to try a climbing variety. But so far, the plants are behaving like any other regular nasturtium. I don't care, though, as I really do not have the space here for them to spread that much. One of the best things about nasturtiums is that they are among the easiest annuals to grow from seeds. The seeds are round and dimpled and quite large by seed standards, measuring roughly 1/4 inch in diameter, which makes them very easy to work with and plant. Unlike tinier seeds, you just poke a hole in the soil, drop a seed in, cover it, and that's it. Within a couple of weeks, the large first leaves appear above the soil, and the plants develop quickly after that. It's also easy to harvest nasturtium seeds when the plants fade. As the petals fall off, each flower stem reveals a large green seed that, if picked off and allowed to dry, can be planted next year. So once again, I'm enjoying the little "garden" just outside my door, and my nasturtiums that never let me down. (Photo is mine.)
I used to grow nasturtiums too. They are fun to grown and see develop.
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
Yup. Once they get going, there's no stopping them.
@Raelove ....They are a sturdy plant.
They're beautiful. I didn't realize how easy they were to grow. Can they be an indoor plant?
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
If you have a nice bright sunny window, I don't see why you couldn't grow some indoors...
@Raelove I'll look into it. I would like to liven the place up with some plants. I do have a couple that are doing unexpectedly great. Every year I buy a poinsettia for Christmas and it usually is in the trash before Easter - It's always lasted that long. However, this year it didn't die but is looking really great. I've started watering it again and it's taking off. I don't know if I'll get the red leaves, but it's fun to watch it leaf out.
You certainly have a green thumb Rachel. And those are lovely!
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks...if I can grow these, anyone can. I just poke the seeds into the soil and water them. Nature does the rest!
@Raelove I assure you mine would fail
I always have nasturtiums. They are beatiful and hardy. Did you know that leaves and flowers can be eaten? Just imagine adding some nasturtium flowers to a green salad. And if you collect seeds, you can put it in vinegar and use them as capers.
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
That's right...they are not hardy here, as our winters get very cold. So we have to enjoy them only in the summer.
@Raelove We can have them all winter here.
@mandala100 (53680)
Is it hard to grow nasturtiums?
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
Not at all. Soil, seeds and water. That's it. Among the easiest to grow.
@mandala100 (53680)
@Raelove Alright. thank you for the information.
@sishy7 (27592)
Such a beautiful plant... Thanks for sharing the picture...
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
You're welcome...one of my favorites...
@Gwynivar (13)
And they taste great!! Spicy flowers add zip to salads and vinegars and taste great in they own. The seeds can be pickled and used as capers.
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
Yes they do. Thanks!
they are t ryuly beautiful love your idea loo ks great there
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks...I love how the flowers cascade down the plants...
Those nasturtiums sure are pretty. We do not have any of the wild flowers growing up at all.
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
No wildflowers around here either, which is why most of us grow things in pots outside. Thanks...