Yesterday was horrendous

@Asylum (48215)
Manchester, England
My biopsy was scheduled for yesterday. The samples were due to be taken from my shoulder, but on arrival the physician mentioned that the samples were to be taken from my neck. After about 15 minutes of scanning the area he injected with several shots of anaesthetic. It was an awful sensation feeling the biopsy needle puncturing through my neck, but not painful. In all he took 4 separate samples, which seemed to take forever. I was a little shaken when I came out, but after a coffee in the hospital cafe with my brother I was feeling okay. My brother ran me home and left about one hour later. At this stage it all seemed to be in the past. I had no idea how badly bruised and tender my neck was until the anaesthetic began to wear off. I cannot touch that side of my neck and try not to turn because it is quite painful. It feels as though the neck muscles were punctured by a screwdriver, so it will take some time to subside completely. Obviously I realise that the bruising will ease in time, but right now I feel fragile and vulnerable. Most of my immediate concern is probably just n my mind, but being a human I cannot control this feeling of despair.
@dpk262006 (56599)
We hope that you forget about your pain sooner than later. It must have been very painful to puncture your neck. Each of our body part is so precious and sensitive that we don't like to be pricked at all but you had no option but to bear the pain.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
The plus side is that the sensation will gradually decrease over the coming days.
@Asylum My best advice is try to sleep as much as possible with pain killer. I know perfectly the feeling: I had Open Heart surgery and boy, the pain was incredible for quite a while even with strong pain killers. Hang in there: each passing hour will make it easier.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
@marlina I had several attempts at sleeping last night, but did not succeed until around 4 AM.
I know that really does have to suck...but at least they didn't take them from 'somewhere else'...
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
I was delighted when I was told that the samples would be taken from my shoulder, so the sudden change to the neck was horrifying. This will all be a memory in a few days, but right now it is all too real.
@Asylum I can't even imagine the discomfort...a shoulder would have been bad enough, but at least they are relatively stationary.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
@JolietJake So is my neck now because I am very wary of any movement.
The neck is sensible and fragile, I can imagine you are not well. Did they give you some pain killers? It's hard to sleep with a hurting neck.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
No and I never thought about enquiring about pain killers because I did not realise how seriously bruised it was.
@Asylum You should call them and ask if they can suggest something.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck Using the telephone would be difficult, so I shall persevere for now and hope that things improve soon.
I hope it's much better today. The thing I try to think about when pain killers wear off is that it's at it's worst and can only get better. Small comfort but there it is. Your brother sounds very supportive. I'm glad to read that.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
It was quite an ordeal for a couple of days, but it was 4 days ago and has eased off now. The area is still bruised and tender, but will continue to improve.
@Asylum I've been away from the computer due to visitors. Hoping for some normalcy soon.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
@Jeanniemaries Normality? How boring. I much prefer mayhem and insanity.
Something warm the first 24 hours and then cold after that may help ease the discomfort. No one likes the unknown but I hope the thought of how many people love you sustains you a little
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
I am just hoping that this feeling does not last too long.
@Asylum ibupropy will help
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
@BelleStarr Probably, but I have no intention of going out to acquire any. Right now I feel like going nowhere.
I missed this one sorry about that @Asylum. Yes I know the feeling, the sensation must be very strange and I am so happy your brother was there with you. You are so very brave though you probably do not think so.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
I was certainly not brave because the whole biopsy scenario horrified me, especially when I could sense the needle entering my neck.
@Asylum But to even go through with it..why I'd be a blithering heap of nerves lol
@Asylum Like the cowardly lion in Oz haha
• Preston, England
sounds a horrendous procedure
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
It was far worse once the anaesthetic wore off.
• Preston, England
@Asylum not a process I'd handle well if I had to face it - you are coping very well
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
@arthurchappell I did not expect such a lasting effect.
I hope you can find the strength to endure treatment as it is being offered to you . . .
@Asylum okay then I'll shall let you run your own course, sorry I intruded and seemed 'pushy' . . .
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
@enlightenedpsych2 I did not intend to imply anything like that.
@Asylum well then I still am sending vibrations that could assist at this time , you at least by my inclusion, not alone in this fight
@garymarsh6 (14767)
OH dear poor you. Well I am pleased you had your brother there to support you. When you are on your own you can let your imagination run wild. I really hope that the biopsies return a good result for you Barry. I am sure everyone who knows you are also wishing the same too. Some simple pain killers like Paracetamol will help.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
It seems very strange that the neck was chosen because as you know it is protected by muscles, which need to be punched through by the biopsy needle. The discomfort has mostly subsided now, but there is still a great deal of bruising.
@garymarsh6 (14767)
@Asylum They were obviously after the lymph glands Barry and those in the neck would be the best ones to go for. It is not a nice procedure but essential to get the correct diagnosis. There are worse tests so I am pleased they chose this one for you. I am so glad your brother is supporting you! I am keeping everything crossed for you!
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
@garymarsh6 I would certainly have hated a worse procedure.
@sabtraversa (13376)
Ouch. Hopefully the pain won't be there for long, biopsy sounds dreadful enough, even worse on the neck.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
The major problem is that we have muscles surrounding the neck, which bruise easily when punctured.
@sabtraversa (13376)
@Asylum Yes, it's a very sensitive area, I can't image being unable to move it.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
@sabtraversa I have not tried to move it for a while now.
It was painful,especially after the effects of anaesthetic disappeared.It was a good thing your brother kept you company then.Hope the biopsy result will be normal!
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
I cannot envisage the biopsy results being promising, but at least I shall find out exactly what is what. I have an appointment in July to discuss the results and potential prognosis.
@Asylum If only the appointment came earlier,every moment to wait for results would seem like an eternity .Hope things won't be so bad!
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
@changjiangzhibin89 It is still 8 days away and I am eager for the time to arrive.
@SonjaRae (4793)
I am so sorry to hear of this. Sounds very painful!
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
It certainly was, but I am pleased to say that it is now in the past.
@SonjaRae (4793)
@Asylum Most definitely!
It is wonderful to see you here despite what you are going through. You know what good living is
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
Mylot does help to keep my mind occupied, for which I am grateful.
@Asylum That I am sure. We owe you that much
@Asylum You are in my prayers. Sorry for what you are going through but am here if you want to talk.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
Thank you.
@Asylum Always My Friend across the pond!
@Inlemay (17162)
• South Africa
I feel so sad hearing of your uncontrollable feeling of despair - I wish I was a little closer so that I could just give you a BIG HUG. I hope they gave you some anti-inflammatory meds to help with the pain in your neck after plunging the needle and probing all around. You must be in some horrific pain especially since it was done in the neck.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
It was very bad for a few days, but finally subsided and is now only painful to touch. What I had not realised at the time is that the neck has a protective layer of muscle, which the biopsy needle punched through 4 times. It was guaranteed to be very bruised.
@TheSojourner (17290)
Oh, the being human part is the toughest part. I wrote about having the support of my sister about 8 days ago, when I was feeling especially vulnerable. I get it. All I can offer is a virtual hug and an offer to listen, if you ever need to vent.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
Yes, humanity does have its drawbacks. The major part of the discomfort has subsided now, but it is still quite tender.
@DaddyEvil (26321)
• Aurora, Missouri
I guess I was luckier in that regard than you were. The biopsies were taken from my buttocks and beneath both arms. I was sore after the anesthetic wore off, but not to the extent you seemed to be.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
That makes sense because the neck is protected by muscle, which had to be punched through.
@Srbageldog (8239)
I'm sorry, that sounds painful. I hope you feel better soon.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
It is subsiding gradually.
What can I say? Sending virtual tea and sympathy which might help just a tiny bit.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
It is one of those situations that is difficult for others to respond to.
Sometimes the biopsies are worst than treatment! I hope you have a speedy recovery and that all the test come back negative.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
There is no chance of the results being negative, but at least this part is over.