It's nothing but damn Spam...

So I saw I had a message this morning on facebook...someone had sent me a poem asking me to forward it to all my friends. It said "with every name that this is sent to, the American Cancer Society will donate 3 cents per name to her treatment and recovery plan." Sounds cool, doesn't it? There is only one glaring problem - how will the ACS know who I sent/forwarded this to? Be pretty hard for them to donate money for each person unless they knew who it went to, which would mean they are somehow tracking personal messages sent on facebook. Oh, wait...in the middle of this long message it says I should email it, and that the ACS is tracking the emails to keep count. Once again...how would they track it? There is no link or anything...and I surely don't want to send out something to people...to their email accounts, no less...that would be 'tracked'. It's nothing but spam. And I really don't get it. How can anyone benefit from something like this? But instead of seeing this is obviously spam, people continue to forward it. Logic seems to be in short supply these days...
Such chain mails have existed forever. In former days one had to write them by hand and buy postage stamps to forward them. If one didn't do it, something horrible would befall one.
I just don't see what anyone 'gets' by doing this.
@JolietJake I don't, either. I can only speculate. Maybe it's a kind of power play? You make lots of people do what you tell them and this gives you satisfaction? Who can look into the mind of weirdos?
@MALUSE But they send it out there with no way of knowing how many people shared it...maybe they are hoping it will get shared back to them?
I hate those chain mails. I get several during the month and I NEVER share this kind of spam.
I've been getting 4-5 spam messages a month on facebook lately, kind of irritating.
@JolietJake Those messages are increasing and I am very annoyed.
Did you know that a barrister in Nigeria has a fortune waiting for you?