Traveling during the solar eclipse

All this talk about the eclipse I was getting excited....until I realized that we will be on the road that day - right in the thick of it! We have a rental cabin for 5 days in Pigeon Forge. Check in is 3:00 pm....We normally leave about 12:15 or so giving us time for a couple of quick stops along the way. That's when the eclipse will be right over our area, lucky us. I have looked at all the charts and timetables and instructions online and now I am more confused than ever. I decided to go to the source, I sent an e-mail to the head meteorologist in Chattanooga and asked for his advice. Is it safe to be on the road? Do we need those special glasses? What about Ruby? Now I will just have to wait until I hear from him - if I heard back LOL!
I guess I need to check up on it, I have never really paid much attention to eclipses.
When they started talking on the news about wearing special glasses I got a little worried!
@AbbyGreenhill Well I do know you are not supposed to look directly at a solar eclipse, it can blind you.
@BelleStarr Yes we all learned that in school I think!
Yes something to consider Abby. I hope you find out. Have a lovely time when you go.
Thanks, I wish I had picked different dates LOL!
Hope your meteorologist answers your email so you can see if traveling is okay during the eclipse
We have a few options if it really worries me - can cancel, or change date to September where he has openings
Hmmm, let us know what the answer is, I am sure I have been out in one before... but that may be just what happened to me and my brain! Hhaha.
Well, since this is the first total solar eclipse seen coast to coast in 99 years, you can't use that as an excuse.
@AbbyGreenhill Dang, now I gotta find something else!
I do hope the meteorologist responds to your questions. It is important to be safe in the midst of an eclipse. Would be really cool to see it.
I decided not to wait - I cancelled the reservations and made new ones for a different start date at a different cabin - one we stayed at previously and loved.
@LeaPea2417 (20463)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I hope the weather man responds to you with advice. I read in my local newspaper, that day will be a holiday for the school kids and there will be a place in town where all can go to properly observe it. Yes, the schools start here at the beginning of August, that is why there is a holiday. When I was a kid, the schools started after Labor Day in September.
Schools here start first week in August also. I am from the North and our schools start after Labor Day and they get out late June . According to the charts I saw tghe best place to see it is in the county next to ours - Spring City, they are having a big eclipse party its been on the news...I'll be happy to stay home - I changed the rental to a different one starting the day after.
@LeaPea2417 (20463)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@AbbyGreenhill That is good that you changed it to a day after.
@silvermist (20100)
I think as long as you do not look directly at the sun.there is no harm.I hope your email will get answered.
They recommend you wear special glasses during the three hours.
@silvermist (20100)
@AbbyGreenhill Yes,that is a precaution.(What if you looked at the sun inadvertently.)What about Ruby?
I'm planning on taking some photos of it, I should be right on the edge of the totality pathway
Good luck with the photos. We will be right in the thick of it.
We had a total solar eclipse in August 1999. You need special glasses only if you look at the sun, we had bought them because we wanted to watch. I think you should cover the eyes of Ruby, because you do not know if she would look up and this can be dangerous.
What I read said to leave the glass on during the entire thing - 3 hours - the only time to take them off is for the total eclipse which is less than 3 mins. But I have a new plan...since the cabin we rented is booked solid in August, I'm going to cancel it and book a different that has a good variety of dates so we won't have to worry abut the eclipse!
@AbbyGreenhill I think that what you plan to do is the best solution. We only went on the balcony a few minutes to look at the eclipse, but stayed inside the house during the whole time it lasted.
@LadyDuck I just cancelled it and am making reservations at a different cabin that we stayed in a few years ago. It is a little further out of the action, but much quieter, although a little more expensive it's still a good price. And I am booking it starting the day after the eclipse that way they can clean up the highway from all the crashes that will happen from people going blind looking at it.