A Great City: Part 1

It’s not just the capitol of the United States, Washington D.C. is also one of the most beautiful cities in the world. French engineer, Pierre Charles L’Enfant designed the city to resemble Paris, with beautiful squares and wide avenues and wonderful views. When I visited the city, I was very impressed with it all. We went when the cherry blossoms were in full bloom. Unbelievably beautiful. The Washington Monument, standing 555 feet is impressive. (Of course, we had to climb the steps to the top,) and the Capitol Building with its gleaming cast-iron dome, that looks like marble, are the two most famous landmarks. And this was interesting to me: By law, no building in the city can be taller than these two buildings. There’s also the Lincoln Memorial and of course, the White House, two other grand buildings. Have you ever been to Washington, D.C. ?
My husband and I were there many years ago on a coach tour from New York.
How nice that you were able to visit both New York and Washington DC. What did you enjoy seeing the most?
@IreneVincent There is no 'the most'. We found everything impressive. We went in April during my Easter holidays. We had booked for two weeks. Unfortunately, the weather decided to turn nasty in the second week and we experienced a winter attack in New York that was so bad that we had to buy wollen caps and gloves. Snow ploughs had to clear the streets in front of the city buses so that they could move at all. We were desperate and wanted to return home prematurely but couldn't because we had a special return ticket. If we had gone home earlier, we would have had to pay the full price. So we stayed on. We went to more museums than we had intended to just to stay inside!
@Nawsheen (23067)
• Mauritius
No I have never been there. After reading your post and googling about it I found out that it really is a very beautiful city
Well, if you ever get the opportunity to come for a visit, let me know. I don't live very far from DC. here in Virginia.
@Nawsheen (23067)
• Mauritius
@IreneVincent I would love to visit this beautiful city. I hope that I get the chance one day
@KristenH (24388)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
I did one time for Girl Scouts. I also went to Philly too and saw the Liberty Bell. Great photo.
That's great that you got to see the Liberty Bell. I have been to Philly but have not seen the Liberty Bell. I understand that it is a lot smaller than I thought it was.
@KristenH (24388)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@IreneVincent Thanks. That was when I was 12 I think. I brought home a stuffed raccoon from it. I believe so.
Yes, I have. Did the museums and all the familiar tourist spots.