The Horse gets cursed out last night! Has your spouse ever embarrassed you?

Pleasant Hill, California
Yesterday evening, as I was driving to my softball game, those flashy crosswalk lights went on near a newish apartment complex. Those flashy lights mean you don't have to stop, but they alert you that a pedestrian intends to cross there. I stopped and watched what appeared to be couple crossing in front of me. The woman looked Latina and was about 30. The guy was caucasian, had neatly trimmed red beard, and was also about 30. What was slightly strange was that the woman, who was wearing sunglasses, appeared to be looking right at me. I expected a little wave of thanks, as many people do, but there was none. After they passed, I laughed and said from my open window, "What, no little wave of thanks?" I expected one of them to laugh with me and say, "Oh, we have entitlement issues!" or something like that. Instead, the woman advanced toward my car, like someone about to jump you, and said, "Why don't you just f*ck off!" The man looked with an expression somewhere between horror and surprise. If she starts a row (I'm being British here to show how much more cultured and sophisticated I am than she), and I turn out to be some psycho-killer, the poor guy is going to be the one who ultimately has to protect them from the Raging Horse. I wanted to say "Why don't you get a better life!" but just laughed and said "Have a good one!" as I drove off. I had a game to play and wanted to have time to warm up. Have you ever had a spouse or loved one with anger issues severe enough to put you in an embarrassing or dangerous situation? I did have a girlfriend once who yelled without reason at some kids playing in our driveway, but nothing beyond that that I can recall.
Maybe she thought you were trying to hit on her hahah. People's assumptions now a days!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Some women do think that (I think) when you're nice to them. I'd better stop or I'll say something nasty.
@TheHorse Yes, and if you have that vibe then they go on social media and blast it omg someone tried to hit on me. Sometimes it's their imagination. There are some people who are just trying to be nice and some who really are or are creeps. I have a girl on my Facebook that writes posts like this everyday.
@TheHorse damn it! You mean you haven't been hitting on me? and I thought I was going to get lucky in my old age
@pgntwo (21651)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Tourettes?
• Pleasant Hill, California
I didn't see any of the twitching that usually comes with Tourettes, but I didn't see her for very long.
@pgntwo (21651)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@TheHorse Never maintain eye contact - basic London Underground survival 101 ;)
• Pleasant Hill, California
@pgntwo I kind of have a good time unleashing my "inner Midwesterner" on unsuspecting Californians. In the Midwest, eye contact and friendliness are still allowed.
@vandana7 (64917)
Non stop. Like in the other home (single bedroom unit), dad did not like people placing their footwear on steps. He lifted them and threw them left and right in neighbor's compound, some outside...footwear should be kept inside the house he'd screamed. I returned home after the day's work, and there they were all ladies standing in front of gate..talking and I got told look what your father did. Hmmmmmmm I am not his mother.
@ptrikha_2 (8284)
And why really the neighbours keeping their shoes or slippers there
• Pleasant Hill, California
Your dad did this? What was he "really" mad about? --Sigmund Horse
@ptrikha_2 (8284)
@TheHorse Many still do that. But many of us live in much more similar style to the way you or people in UK live.("The Western way").
No has never happened to me..I avoid all dangerous situations now.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I thought I was too! Even on the softball field, with the testosterone flowing, people don't usually get that angry.
@TheHorse Yeah know what you mean..I guess I take that back too.. I have seen one person go off the deep end with absolutely no control whatsoever..someone close to me..now I avoid that at all costs..very dangerous.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@TiarasOceanView I hope this person didn't drag others down with him or her.
Well, that response from that female lacking culture and sophistication certainly was a shocker. I have not had anyone put me in a situation that turned embarrassing or dangerous. Whew! I remember when I worked at the Sear's catalogue center, people picked up their orders there, I told one lady her order had not arrived yet. The little old lady told me, "You're full of sh*t!" Not dangerous but shocking was that reply to 16-year-old me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I would have had a hard time not laughing if a little old lady said that to me. I'd want to say, "Ma'am, I went potty this morning, as I always do, but you're welcome to look at the paperwork..." or something like that.
@TheHorse okay I need to share the story about when I worked for Eddie Bauer call center. I have to remember to write that one this weekend
@TheHorse Well, my older colleagues thought what happened was hilarious. They teased me about that for quite a while. And, I did show her the paperwork, but she still told me what I was full of.
I was going to say nothing that I can remember, but your last paragraph reminded me that my husband one day yelled at the kid who throw a football ball in our property and it landed on his car.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'd probably toss it back to them and say, "Hey, that's my car!," but not in a mean way.
@TheHorse The problem is that he had already warned several times the kids, asking them to go to play in another area. That time he was very upset and he yelled at the kids. I have to say that, at the difference when he had been polite, it never happened again.
@FourWalls (13751)
Honestly, in this day and age, I'm more surprised when people do wave a thank-you when you let them pull out in traffic or stop at the crosswalk. And yes, they probably do have entitlement issues. Too many people in this country do. (Think Kennedy could be elected today if he were alive and tried that "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" crap on this generation???)
• Pleasant Hill, California
I do the wave and jog thing, unless I'm carrying coffee or something. Sometimes I'll wave even if I'm the one driving, as if to say, "I see you." That sometimes leads to a reciprocal wave. But Californians, particularly here in the suburbs, are notorious for entitlement issues.
No, I actually tend to be the one with some anger issues. I do not do things like curse out traffic. I did embarrass my first spouse once in Wal Mart, when I got annoyed at a cashier. I was also a Wal Mart employee at that time. It is enough to make a person grumpy.
• Pleasant Hill, California
When people are grumpy with me for no apparent reason, I generally assume something's not going well in their life. Not sure that I'd want to work at Wal Mart either.
It happens alot.
• Pleasant Hill, California
You see people with anger issues where you live? I see more "entitlement" issues here in the Northern California suburbs, but I see anger issues as well.
@TheHorse yes both. Alot.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Courtlynn Where are you? Remind me! I'm tired of people walking around like they're afraid of each other. What ever happened to Louis singing "What a Wonderful World"?
@shshiju (10492)
• Cochin, India
That is really wise that you avoid the quarrel. Its very disturbing to live with angry and short tempered one.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I can deal with a little depression or anxiety. But I wouldn't want a person with anger issues in my house.
@TheHorse I grew up with that enraged anger in my house from my father. It was no good and I don't want it.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@CoralLevang I'm glad that it's not "attached" to Eros for you. Some women I've worked with who were abused as kids seek out abusers for lovers.
@TheSojourner (17454)
I have learned to... Okay so I don't do it as often... not roll down my window and call attention to the things that people don't do because they're rude. Or thoughtless... Or entitled.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I did it in a joking kind of way. I find that most people--even the "tough guys in the 'hood"--open up a bit when you're friendly with them.
@TheHorse I have no doubt that you did it in a joking fashion, but understand that these people that are half our ages don't have the same kind of sense of humor that we do do.
@Hate2Iron (7858)
That really was uncalled for. I hope that her boyfriend said something to her. I don't know what she was thinking about to be in such a mood!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Maybe they're having relationship issues. Or maybe I misread the situation and they weren't together but just happened to be crossing together.
@Hate2Iron (7858)
@TheHorse Whatever was going on, it certainly didn't bring out her best side.
Wow that was extreme of her. Sometimes my husband jokes too much, that's not usually a bad thing unless someone doesn't realize he's kidding. At times I have had to tell people, sorry he's just a jokester.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yeah, I guess you have to gauge your audience. I can be a jokester, but I try not to offend people.
@TheHorse My husband forgets that not everyone knows him or his sense of humor.
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
Dang, she was rude @TheHorse . She must have thought she was something 'special'.
• Pleasant Hill, California
My first thought (and I hope this doesn't sound elitist) was "Dang, she's ghetto!" But the dude she was with didn't look like one of those "beat 'em up" tough guys.
Not an issue with me. No spouse!
• Pleasant Hill, California
No spouse, no grouse!
My ex used to say mean things in public and people would say why did you do that to her or something like that. He was a real jerk.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Do you know what his "demons" were that led him to be that way?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Hannihar He probably drank to blunt himself from some earlier "hurt." I wonder what that hurt was.
@TheHorse So sorry but do not care. I am glad I do not see him and hope I do not run into him again.
@RubyHawk (25260)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I have and it can be terribly embarrassing. I feel sorry for that poor guy. She could put them both in danger.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I hope, for his sake, that they're not actually dating. Maybe they're just neighbors or something.
@RubyHawk (25260)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@TheHorse At least if they're dating he knows now he has trouble on his hands.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@RubyHawk Yes! Best case scenario: he learned an important lesson and will protect himself from getting too involved with her.
My crazily jealous ex husband threatened to punch a man who smiled at me when we were out walking. Thankfully the man didn't look dangerous.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Do you know where his insecurities came from?
@TheHorse No, I actually met his parents after we were married.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Kandae11 I wonder what made him that way.
She sounds mean and like little things set her off, that poor guy.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm sure it comes from hurt, or poverty, but that doesn't mean I want it unleashed on me!
@TheHorse I've seen people like couples arguing out in public like at the stores. It's not pretty.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Susan2015 Oh, I'm embarrassed for them when I see that. Of course, I pretend to ignore.
That was uncalled for on her part. I can't imagine anyone doing something like that. I think she has something wrong in the brain somewhere when a simple comment, made in an amusing manner can evoke such anger in a person. I don't recall anyone getting angry for no reason.
• Pleasant Hill, California
As @clara2017 pointed out, she may have had psychological issues that I didn't anticipate when I joked with her.
@TheHorse That's altogether possible or a bad day. I usually don't like people joking with me when I have a bad day, mostly because I don't see the joke. But since I haven't had a bad day in months now, you can joke with me all you want.