Ten Favorite Number Songs: At Seventeen (#4)

@FourWalls (13257)
Ah, middle age. I slept until 10 AM this morning. Yesterday I was running to catch up from getting home at 1:30 AM from the concert. I didn't used to take that long to recover. Anyway, that is most of why I was AWOL yesterday. I'm back with today's song in the list of my favorite number songs, this one with the word spelled out (as opposed to the earlier countdown where we used the numerals), the idea of @teamfreak16 . Here's today's song. #4: At Seventeen - Janis Ian I love this song because I lived this song. Today they call it "bullying." I suffered with that most of my school life: wearing glasses at seven ("four eyes"), I mentioned previously the tetracycline stains ("gray teeth"), and all of the other things that kids could throw at someone. I wasn't in the "clique." The only time this didn't happen was the two years I was in junior high in Daytona Beach. Why pick on people when you're four blocks from the ocean?? When we moved, however, it was like the kids had to "make up" for the time I wasn't bullied. And if you've been part of that "outside" group you can sing along with Janis Ian as she sings of "those of us who knew the pain of valentines that never came, and those whose names were never called when choosing sides for basketball." This song came along right at the right time, when I'd changed schools yet again and felt the brunt of blasts from supposed "christian" students. I identified with this song so much. Today, thankfully, that doesn't happen. And, in some regards, I feel I'm a stronger person because of what I endured back then...because today I don't give a rat's tuchas if you agree or not. I respect a person for who they are, not whether they agree with me. Thank you, Janis, for expressing the pain I felt, and right at the time I needed to know I wasn't alone. At Seventeen Written by Janis Ian Recorded by Janis Ian From Between the Lines, 1975 Murmured vague obscenities:
Janis Ian - At Seventeen (Live, 1976)
It's classic. Used to play it on the radio every once in awhile.
@TheSojourner (17448)
You wrote my story. She sang it. And it still pulls at my heart and soul, as tears well-up in my eyes.
Great!
I know the artist.But not the song.Thank you for the information on this.
• Bournemouth, England
When you look at what she was writing years before in the mid-sixties I think she could be described as a child genius. I was an acne-ridden 15 year old when this came out and suffered severe bullying. The song speaks to guys as well.
Ian had one other major hit with Society's Child in 1967. She got a Grammy for At Seventeen.