Cruel Summer for Her

Our dog Molly has been wandering the house humming the 1984 tune by Bananarama, "Cruel Summer." Molly, our incredibly furry pup, knows that the 4th of July will soon be upon us, and that holiday means that she will spend all day and all night cowering in my bathroom due to her fear of those blasted fireworks. I was hoping for heavy rain on the 4th of July that would most likely lessen the number of fireworks exploding. However, heavy rains, especially those rains accompanied by thunder and lightening, scare the daylights out of Molly too. She hides outside under the leaves of the hosta plants and daylilies located under the soffit on the back of our house during storms. That is a pitiful sight too. Summer is also too darn hot for a dog that has a double coat. Even though our house is centrally air-conditioned, it is still too hot for Molly. She spends her summer days on the cool, stone tiles in my bathroom. Not much fun in that. Oh, forget the Thundershirt that claims to calm dogs who shake with fear due to fireworks and thunderstorms. Imagine having to wear a Thundershirt over two coats of fur. Hot! Hot! Hot! Summer really is cruel to Molly.
Check out our killer New Wave playlist on Spotify! http://spoti.fi/1pbPsuI - - - - Watch the official music video for Bananarama - Cruel Summer (OFFICIAL MUS...
Me and, Rooger aren't looking forward to them either and, were also hoping for rain.
Even the fireworks get on my nerves lately. I hope your area and mine have rain!!
@Corbin5 I like the big ones that go in the sky, but i hate the loud ones, there is no even point in them, they don't look cool, they are just loud.
@TRBRocks420 Some towns in other countries are using silent fireworks. Still pretty, but no loud noise.
A really colourful soundless firework display
Poor Molly.
I am just glad Molly gets to experience fall and winter. She is so much happier in those seasons. She loves winter the most.
@Corbin5 oh I'm sure. Because all that hair keeps her warm
Awesome shot of Molly .... Yeah, summer heat does get to the kritters but at least it won't last all that long or at least I hope so.
I am just glad we have cool fall weather and cold winter weather. Molly delights in the cold.
I was hoping the triple digits would go away but it looks like we'll be in the triples for at least another week @Corbin5 well, looks like we'll be doin a lot of nappin.
@crossbones27 (21403)
• Redlands, California
I hear you and luckily Brooklyn is short hair, but California is damn hot these days, does not matter really. The problem with domestication on that front. Many of these dogs are not made for the climate they live in. Not where they evolved for sure. The fireworks would be alright on the one day, but like it started here June First. At least 5 pops a night and not the cute ones, the loud ones that startle me.
Yes, if the fireworks were just on that one night, Molly could take it. We have so many nights of loud ones too. We at least have fall and winter here, and Molly delights in those seasons. Cool video of silent fireworks. A town in Italy uses these, and I think more are following suit.
• Redlands, California
@Corbin5 Awesome, love that.
• Uzbekistan
You should have made a video of Molly humming the tune!
I should have made a video of her humming that tune. She really can carry a tune, which must be genetic.
• Uzbekistan
@Corbin5 Genetic? Who did she inherit it from?
@MALUSE That gift either came from her Chow Chow mother or her Shepherd dad. I heard talk that her mother was a talented singer. Word has it that she performed on a regular basis back in the day. Of course Molly's mother only performed for other dogs of course, but alas, no video due to paws not handling video equipment well at all.
Poor Molly..I know how she feels.
Yes, some pups are not made for the heat. She will frolic in fall and winter, so at least she has two seasons to enjoy.
@Corbin5 Yes I am like Molly haha
not only to Molly but many dogs out there are fear of this.Ruby not too bad.She does not liked it.But handle it well.
So glad Ruby handles the fireworks well. Yes, many dogs are so fearful due to fireworks that they flee and become lost. Also, a lot of veterans with PTSD suffer with those fireworks too.
We had fireworks nearby for over an hour and the only time Ruby reacted was at the end, normally she would have been in my husband's lap for protection! She had a double coat, no issues. Many dogs prefer tile floors to lay on all year long. Of course, most of the time outside is in the pool.
I am glad Ruby has your husband's lap to use for protection. Wish Molly would do that, but the bathroom seems to be her safe spot of choice.
@Corbin5 He isn't happy with her in his lap...was fine when she was a puppy but at 80 pounds she' hurts!
@AbbyGreenhill One big pup on one's lap for an extended period of time would make a person experience pain!
@alberello75 (18697)
• Genova, Italy
In my city (Genova - Italy), fireworks were banned for the celebration of the New Year two years ago. Among the various reasons, there was also one that they disturbed the pets. There were controversy for that decision.
A ban on fireworks would make me so happy. A city in Italy actually started using "silent fireworks" for celebrations so as not to scare pets and protect veterans suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
The town of Collecchio passed a law that requires fireworks to be silent. The law is intended to protect pets and wildlife from problems caused by loud noises.
@alberello75 (18697)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 My city (Genova), in December 2015, was one of those who banned fireworks for that reason. When I was a boy, I liked the fireworks by free sale (those not dangerous). I played with them, with my schoolmates. I wonder what is meant by silent fireworks?
@alberello75 Well, I did read that the noise emitted from silent fireworks is quite low. Not loud enough to frighten humans and pets.
Awww, this is just too much for dogs . . . the fireworks (at least the sounds of it) can be heard around the neighborhood (even though they are illegal) and I can hear all our neighbor's dogs not liking it. I hope Molly is ok tomorrow night.
@Corbin5 Last night on our work we met a gal who was going around with a collie asking if we knew whose dog this was . . . apparently he wandered into their townhome complex - probably after all the firework blasts that have been going on. No tags or anything on him. I feel so sorry for dogs and pets in July!!!
@much2say Oh, dear. That happens so often. I do hope the owner of that Collie is found. Poor thing. I do think that veterans with PTSD also suffer from those fireworks too.
@sueznewz2 (10162)
• Alicante, Spain
poor molly... our lad does not like fireworks either ... not much we can do about that unfortunately...
Yes, no way can we ease their fear. Just glad Molly has a spot in the house to sit out the fireworks and reduce her fear.
@sueznewz2 (10162)
• Alicante, Spain
@Corbin5 our dog comes and sits next to us and we turn the tv up a bit louder ...
I bet Molly has been hearing than you or I have and it will be terrible for her. Is she the one that wants you to do all those things for her or did I mix her up with another dog?
Oh yes, that is Molly, the one who stares at me to do all kinds of things that she wants me to do.
@Corbin5 Does she do that to anyone else or only you? If you do not do something for her when she demands it of you what happens? Is she mean? Does she bite?
@Hannihar She stars at my husband too. If I do not give in, she goes to him and stares at him. She just walks away after about 20 to 35 minutes if we do not give in. No, Molly does not bite.
It's such a shame that fireworks, thunder, and fur make Molly so uncomfortable during the summer. I pity her and all animals that suffer like that. Big hugs to poor Molly.
Molly loved the hugs!!! At least Molly has late fall and winter to frolic without be frightened or uncomfortable.
our house is always cold, my senior dog welcome a sweater.. I am not sure about those thunder jackets... It certainly has been a cruel summer... Love that song.
Molly comes alive and frolics in fall and winter. At least she has those two seasons to enjoy. Some say the Thundershirts work, others not. Oh well.
@Corbin5 she looks really happy
@nanette64 (17977)
• Fairfield, Texas
Well now, ain't a double-coated dog suppose to be cooler @Corbin5 ? Well dang, I guess that's why my Akita use to dig deep holes in the yard to lay in.
Yes, Molly was a hole-digger too and would lie in the hole to cool off, but thankfully she just did that at the dog park when she was younger. Now, it's my bathroom she uses to keep cool. The double-coats provide insulation from the heat. Brushing to remove as much as the undercoat as possible does help since less coat means the air can circulate through the fur and enhance the cooling factor.
@nanette64 (17977)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 I could've brushed Kaibutsu for hours and still had a brush full.
@YrNemo (14719)
Can you trim Molly's fur to help her out with the heat?
Well, we do take Molly to the groomer who trims her fur, but her fur actually does the job of cooling her. All who have Chow Chows or Chow mixes are advised by veterinarians to not shave dogs or trim the fur too much.
@YrNemo (14719)
@Corbin5 I see, I never thought of that aspect (the cooling business!).
Poor Molly. I did see for here, at least, we're not getting any rain on the 4th. I've heard lots of fireworks going off lately. More every day. I hope it won't be too bad for her.
Yes, fireworks have been heard her for 3 days already. No rain coming our way either for the 4th.
@Corbin5 They started here a couple weeks ago. I think as soon as June hit or the first day of summer. Not a lot and increasing more as it gets closer to the fourth. Today has been very nice. It would be great not to see any rain for a week.
I bought Ellie and thunder-jacket for her anxiety when she goes for long car rides, it didn't help either. Poor Molly, I feel for her with the fireworks. I can hear them going pop pop pop right now, its Canada Day here and there are lots of backyard parties not to mention a huge party downtown where there will be a fireworks display. We'll be tucked in early sleeping as we have the movers here for 7am tomorrow-ugh!
Yes, they start shooting off fireworks here early too, and for a few days before the 4th and after. You really do have an early start to your day tomorrow.
@Corbin5 Yes, today was an early start, but I was awake and up before the alarm went off. Now I've got my feet up as I feel that I've done enough unpacking for one day.
@SHOHANA (7167)
• Bangladesh
I hate summer for sucking weather and sweated body, echy body. Many more reason to hate summer.
Me too!! I love when fall and winter come to our area!!
@bluesa (15115)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Love the song @Corbin5 . And Daisy also suffers terribly in summer and this winter is already too warm for her as well, so Molly has my sympathy. I don't like fireworks in residential areas, but nearly every one ignores the threat of fines and jail time. I keep Daisy indoors.
Same here. The police here do not to anything about illegal fireworks. Poor Daisy. Molly and Daisy are so much happier in the colder weather.