What did you Read in June?

Winston Salem, North Carolina
My goal for the year is to match or better my reading list from last year; 100 books read or listened to. With the year half gone (or very nearly so) I’m about five books behind, but I imagine I can catch up again over the next six months. Life has been busy around here and finding time to sit down and read has been difficult to come by. Fortunately my Audible account and my library card have given me access to plenty of good audiobooks to keep my brain active while my hands are doing other things. I’m going to add a star rating as part of my monthly list--five for a superlative book, one for a book that I felt was a waste of time and effort. 39. Rescue and Redeem Mindy and Brandon Withrow *** --read aloud with my daughter that gave us some biographical tidbits on various influential Christians of the past 150 years or so. 40. The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas***--read aloud with my daughter, that wasn’t quite as good as it was the first time I read it six or seven years ago. 41. Letters from Skye by Jessica Brockmole*****--a thoroughly enjoyable bit of historical fiction touching both WWI and WWII--audio book from the library. 42. The Wounds of God by Penelope Wilcock*****--a thought provoking bit of inspirational fiction --kindle book 43. Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan*****--a young adult novel that was included in the summer-readers that my favourite homeschool curriculum makes available each summer--audio book from the library. 44. The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom*****--I needed something to listen to and didn’t have time to research, this was the first interesting bit of audio fiction that popped up in the available suggestsion. I thoroughly enjoyed it it. --audio book from the library. 45. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James**--I’m always open to listening to classic works of fiction, this one was okay, but not something I found partcularly worthwhile. --audio book from the library. I also attempted to listen to Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I made it half-way through before I set it aside. Despite all of the rave reviews I’ve read, I found it a disappointing book. Historical context was lacking in comparison to other novels I’ve read, and in all honesty there were many parts that I was uncomfortable with. I don’t really wish to attempt to get inside of the head of a rapist and understand what thoughts are going through his head at the time. So what about you? Did you read anything interesting in June?
@moffittjc (43944)
• Gainesville, Florida
Sadly, I don't do much reading in the summertime, because it's my busiest season at work. I work so many hours throughout the week that by the time I get home and relaxed, I'm too tired to read. But once summer is over, I'll get back into my reading groove.
I'm never too tired to read, it's the most enjoyable way for me to relax.
@moffittjc (43944)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Platespinner Reading is my "go-to" remedy when I'm suffering from insomnia, because it always relaxes me and helps me fall asleep. But in the summer (my busiest time of year at work), I often put in 15-hour days, and so I have no trouble falling asleep when I get home. I'm usually out cold as soon as my head hits the pillow!
@moffittjc I don't doubt it! Especially in the Florida heat and humidity!
@Srbageldog (8613)
I read "Girl in Pieces" by Kathleen Glasgow, which was very good (and also very depressing.) I also read "Jewel of Atlantis" by Gena Showalter (which I rather enjoyed -- I would recommend her books if you're into paranormal romance novels.)
I don't read much romance at all anymore. I read a lot of historical fiction and mysteries at the moment. (along with a boat load of non-fiction so I can feel like I'm improving myself).
@Platespinner I read a lot of romance novels nowadays...mainly because I have a short attention span and they seem to be fast paced and on the shorter side. Plus I just enjoy reading them. I also enjoy literary fiction, but have a hard time finding books that hold my interest, especially with newer books. Sometimes I enjoy reading classics but I have to be in the mood.
@Srbageldog nothing wrong with that. O overdosed on romance fiction as a teen/young adult, that type of novel tends to annoy me more than entertain at this stage in my life.
Never Never and Truth or die both by James Patterson Several instructional books
I've got a few non-fiction titles that will be on my list for July if I get a chance to listen to them before they have to be returned to the library!
I love James Patterson and have read Truth or Die but haven't gotten around to Never Never yet.
I'm reading more than one book which is funny since i'm not reading as much as i normally do.... I'm reading a memoir called Hillbilly Elegy which was our book club selection. So far, it is really good. I'm also reading Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert, but am only a few pages into it. It's about living creatively (non-fiction). I'm reading a book by Jodi Picoult, though the title escapes me, it's a poolside book, though honestly, heavier than I like my poolside reading to be... it's about a boy who was molested, so yeah, not the light reading I like when at the pool which is probably why i'm not moving thru it very quickly. I think that is it... though there are still 2 other non-fiction books i started awhile ago & not finished...
That's definitely NOT light reading . Several of my audiobook holds have suddenly become available at the library, so I currently have more audiobooks than I'm going to be able to get through before my checkout period expires .
I read confessions of a domestic failure. It was hilarious!
I definitely appreciate the title!
@dramagirl26 (3359)
• Ringgold, Virginia
I read Fifty Shades Darker, which I'm almost finished with. True Ghosts, which is a collection of real life paranormal stories. I also read a few ebooks called Sweet Something, Falling Off the Career Ladder, and Concordant Vibrancy 2.
Sounds like you've been busy reading!
• Ringgold, Virginia
@Platespinner I'm trying to finish some of the books I started, but never finished.
@dramagirl26 I have several non-fiction titles that fall into that category myself.
@JESSY3236 (6753)
I read 8 books. The Circle, The Indwelling, The Mark, The Venetian Betrayal, The Charlemagne Pursuit, Paradise Lost, Assassins, and Apollyon.
Which was your favourite?
@JESSY3236 (6753)
@Platespinner I have two favorites The Circle and The Venetian Betrayal.
My June reading list was: Full Tilt by Rick Mofina Extreme Prey by John Sandford Texas Roots by Jean Brashear (a free download) Family Tree by Susan Wiggs and the current book I'm reading is Murder at the FBI by Margaret Truman
I haven't read any of those, which one was your favourite?
I read 4 mystery novels.
Titles? Authors? Were they any good?
@Platespinner There was a Georges Simenon Inspector Maigret, An Inspector Montalbano from Italy. A Cornell Woolrich. I read them and move on and the titles fly out of the head.
@UncleJoe (10308)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I must confess that any time I have had for reading lately has usually been spent working crossword puzzles. I am forever learning new words and their meanings.