I'd like a French chateau please

Bunbury, Australia
Last night we stayed at Camping du Gurp, a campsite run by the local municipality. These municipal campsites are idea for us. Some offer basic facilities; others are little more than a safe place to stay but the price reflects the facilities. The site is north of Bordeaux on the peninsula between the La Gironde estuary and the Atlantic Ocean. It was recommended by a young couple we met at Chateau Carmenbere at a wine-tasting. There were only the four of us there but we tasted some nice wines and were shown around the winery. This was in the Medoc region where there are very many chateaux and the photo shows one of them. Most seem to be involved in producing wine. The one we visited had a fancy name but not a fancy chateau. But the wines were very nice and we enjoyed some with our dinner last night. The young people (he was German, she was Swedish) come here for the surfing and might travel to Australia one day. Who knows? Perhaps they’ll end up couch-surfing with us. I find it hard to believe the size of the some of the camping places here. There are 949 sites here, all interspersed among pine trees. About a third have access to electricity – and the men’s urinals don’t have doors.
• Olney, Illinois
Those look nice, but imagine the heating bill...
That would be Vince's problem, not mine.
• Olney, Illinois
@JudyEv Think of all the cleaning involved
@JolietJake Mine would come with maids!
@xFiacre (6693)
@judyev People don't seem to get that doors on the potty aren't just for the privacy of the user, but also to spare the blushes of passers by. BRING BACK THE DOORS.
I always suss out where such urinals are situated then find another way round so I don't have to go past them.
@xFiacre (6693)
@JudyEv I do this on my wife's behalf. She would feel utterly violated if she happened upon a gentleman peeing freely and would perhaps berate and even acost him for being so offensive. I don't know how we managed to survive a year in Paris without major mishap.
@xFiacre Some wives are a worry aren't they? I'm sure Vince would agree with you wholeheartedly.
• Denmark
No, you would not want to live in a chateau! Think of the heating costs, leaks in the roofs, windows that don't close properly and the number of rooms you had to clean.
You sound just like Vince. His stock answer is 'What about the maintenance?' He has no imagination sometimes. My chateau would, of course, come complete with at least one maid and a gardener.
• Denmark
@JudyEv Well, that sounds different! :-)
@MALUSE those were my very first thoughts about living in a chateau! Nice to look at, but much too high maintenance.
• Riga, Latvia
That is interesting. Lovely chateau but I prefer comfy and cozy cabins with electricity, fireplace and small but descent bathroom. Hope you enjoy your stay.
Looks great from the outside doesn't it?
Your "new" chateau offers plenty of green and space for Herc to roam around in.
I think Herc would be very happy here. He could even have his own wing for when the weather was bad.
@Ronrybs (6968)
• London, England
You have to admire a house that has its own traffic signs!
That's pretty cool isn't it? The chateau is 200 years old.
May be our friend @topffer knows the reason why the men's urinals in the camping have no doors. I have never been in a camping in France, so I missed to notice. I have never found a place where the toilets had no doors.
@topffer (31214)
• France
Maybe because somebody needed a door. Seriously, usually there are doors in bathrooms, and no doors in vespasiennes, but vespasiennes tend to disappear since many years, Paris has kept only one as a souvenir. I suppose these urinals are following the vespasienne model. There is an interesting vespasienne mounted on wheels in a theater play by Pagnol, Topaze : a local politician places a vespasienne in front of various restaurants and shops, and as soon as he is bribed to make it disappear, the vespasienne goes in front of another shop. Ingenious.
@topffer We had vespasiennes in Milan when I was a kid and of course they had no doors, but were a lot more discrete than the photo that July posted yesterday. I join a photo of the old "vespasiani" and I thought that it would have been better not to remove them, at least the tourists would have used then instead than urinate on the monuments.
@topffer (31214)
• France
@LadyDuck I had to look on her profile as I did not saw this post. I do not see anything wrong with this urinal, they are often aligned by 4 or 5, this one is discrete. I like your vespasiennes, they are looking like a Roman antiquity. I would bet it was from the Mussolini Era.
They always show these things during the Tour de France. And I always think the same thing each time: "Gee. That must suck living there."
You see motor-homes lined up all along the road during the tour de France. I used to say to Vince 'that could be us'.
@mandala100 (25879)
That's an awesome chateau in the photo.
@mandala100 (25879)
@JudyEv yes that's so very beautiful.
I would love to be riding with you guys. Love the photo.
It's pretty bumpy sometimes on the back roads - but there are two spare seats!
@blitzfrick (2940)
My feet hurt too much to want to live in a huge place like that. Unless of course I had some good-looking muscular guys to transport me in one of those uncovered litter chairs from room to room. Oh, and a swimming pool. I'd want a pool to cool my feet off in.
We might need roller-skates or gophers (motorised scooters) or something similar.
@JudyEv I like those scooters! I use them now and then at the grocery store. But the chateau looks as if it has stairs! Now where did I put those good-looking guys with the litter!?
@blitzfrick I'd need to insert lifts or do you call them elevators?
Look at that place!!! I always wonder about haunted but they are so enchanting. Yes I have been places where there were no doors on the urinals.
This particular chateau is 200 years old.
@JudyEv Its gorgeous Judy. You will have such beautiful memories.
@TiarasOceanView Today we've travelled through pine forests and agricultural land. I've taken two photos and Vince none. Tomorrow should be better.
I can't imagine living in anything so huge. It is lovely though. It sounds like a lovely chateau and the camping sites sound very nice.
It does look very grand doesn't it? I would love to have seen inside it.
@JudyEv That would have been a great experience.
Now I know what a French Chateaux is.
And wouldn't it be great to have one?
@JudyEv Yes, I will take one too lol.
@garymarsh6 (12353)
There are some many beautiful locations to hitch up overnight. You are certainly making the most of your visit.
We haven't done much free camping this trip. The lure of electricity and hot showers is hard to resist. But many of the camping parks are very lovely.
@Inlemay (16956)
• South Africa
That sounds like a wonderful place to stop over - You are having a marvelous time and thank you for sharing all your stops and experiences - Viva la France
We didn't stay here and they couldn't even take us for a tasting but we did manage a photo.
• Pamplona, Spain
Fantastic from the outside of it. Its a bit big for me but if they gave me it I would live in it too.
Beggars can't be chosers can they? And don't look a gift horse in the mouth - isn't that what they say?
Your trip is a very interesting one. Thank you for sharing.
I enjoy writing about the things we're seeing. It's nice to share.
It sounds like fun actually.
It has been fun and interesting.
I'd imagine you'd have a person to help with the cleaning of such a huge place Glad you're enjoying your camping adventures
I'd have maids and a gardener at least. I was going to say a cook but I've already got one of those.