Librarians are losing their jobs.

@millie02 (6905)
United Kingdom
I have just been for a walk to my local library to borrow some books. When I had chosen my books I took them to the desk as usual but I was told that I now have to use the machine when borrowing books or bringing them back. I complained that I am useless with machines and I would rather bring them to the desk to get them stamped. The librarian replied that from next weeks there would only be one librarian working because the others are being made redundant due to cutbacks. There will be volunteers working there but they are not allowed to access the library systems , so now people will have to use self service machines .
@kiran8 (15391)
• Mangalore, India
Here at my place there were a number of circulating libraries and others as well. I don't see any of them now. I guess it is part of the change since people read ebooks and Kindle ..however, I am told that people still buy books which is at least something.
@millie02 (6905)
I have noticed that a lot of bookshops have closed in the UK over the past few years. We have lost three local bookshops recently.
@vsai2008 (9857)
Yes, I read somewhere that more than 9k librarians lost their jobs in past 6 years in the UK. That's a huge number :(
@millie02 (6905)
I suppose we should be lucky that we still have the library.
@vsai2008 (9857)
@millie02 Yes, with the advancement of technology, we should feel lucky to have a library. The library in our area here is in a bad shape :( Can't help it
@millie02 (6905)
@vsai2008 Oh dear, what is wrong with it?
@xFiacre (5154)
@millie02 I'm sitting in a library in Belfast right now. I do hope the DUP can squeeze more money out of Theresa May to keep this place open. I much prefer dealing with a real live person than with a machine, especially a machine that makes me feel inadequate. I take the same approach to self service tills in supermarkets.
@millie02 (6905)
I hate using self service tills in supermarkets, but my husband loves using them.
@ilocosboy (37201)
Librarians are one of the rarest job in the world and yet now they are in the brink of extinction.
@millie02 (6905)
I applied for a librarians job once, but I did not get it. This was a shame because I think I would have enjoyed working in a library.
@ilocosboy (37201)
@millie02 its hard when the interviewer didn't see the passion in the position we wanted to in.
The world is changing rapidly. Hard to get used to this.
@millie02 (6905)
It is changing too fast for me, I cannot keep up with lots of things these days.
I never heard of a machine to check books out. I always went to the desk.
@millie02 (6905)
These machines are still quite new, I always preferred the old way of taking books to the desk and having a chat with the librarian.
@millie02 I prefer the old way too.
@millie02 (6905)
@Hannihar It was much easier, the new machines always go wrong for me and then I start to panic.
This sounds ridiculous.
@millie02 (6905)
It is , the library will never be the same again.
@millie02 .....That's such a shame.
@dpk262006 (56484)
It is a news to me that even libraries have been made automated and one is supposed to use machines to borrow or to return the books.
I prefer librarian to assist me in borrowing some books. Unfortunately, they are starting to be invaded by machines.
@Ronrybs (7392)
• London, England
Lucky in this part of the UK, the library is going strong and the council supports them strongly. Not bad for Tories!
@dodo19 (33590)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Things are definitely changing a lot. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much longer libraries will really last.
@Tracy04 (10815)
Wow, I like the old fashioned one, where the librarian stamped the book for dates. I used to be one too
@cahaya1983 (10038)
Wow, seems like all kinds of jobs are being replaced with machines now. It's good to have automated services but still sad that it's taking away the human interaction part.
Maybe where you live but not here. Thankfully.
My library has those check out machines though I haven't noticed less librarians. Fewer people are using libraries these days and those that do mainly go for the computers. I rarely see people in the book sections.