Lazy Day at the Beach

(c)2017 Douglas W Davis
@DWDavis (11146)
Pikeville, North Carolina
My best friend since junior high was staying down at the beach town where we grew up over the holiday and today I went down to hang out with him at the beach for the day. It has been a year since we've had a chance to hang out as he usually comes down mid-week when I was teaching. It felt good to spend a few hours with him, especially on the beach near the pier where we shared so many great memories growing up. Nowadays we rarely rehash those memories when it's just the two of us. We talk about our kids, our jobs, and getting older. Now we talk about our plans for retirement. The photo is one I took of the pier from our spot on the beach. The pier in the picture is the new pier they built over the old one after Hurricane Floyd knocked the old one down back in 1999. Did you do anything special for this holiday (here in the US and Canada) weekend?
Wow, it isn't even crowded like some places are. Nice shot. We have plenty of beach here, just no water
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
My younger son and his girlfriend were going to go cool off in a creek near her grandma's house near Austin. They'd visited a couple weeks ago and it was a nice babbling brook. When they got there Saturday, it was a dry stream bed. That never happens here in eastern NC.
That's what's happened to the Rio Grande @DWDavis they only let water flow in it for AG purposes, it's mother natures way of letting us know she's really ticked off.
@RubyHawk (21393)
• Atlanta, Georgia
It's nice to spend time with old friends. Glad you could do that. We have no special plans. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I hope you found some way to mark Independence Day.
@RubyHawk (21393)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@DWDavis We enjoyed watching runners in Atlanta on T V and went out to eat. We had a nice day.
@HeartBM (305)
Wow cool! I like beaches as well. My family went in the beach last May although Im not from the IS or Canada hahaha
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I would love to be able to spend more time at the beach. These days I only visit two or three times a year.
@HeartBM (305)
@DWDavis Is there lots of beaches in the US too? I have this notion that there are lots of beaches only in tropical countries like mine
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@HeartBM We have close to 90,000 miles (145,000 km) of shoreline in the US when you add the Atlantic, Gulf Coast, Pacific, and Alaskan shorelines. Here in North Carolina alone, we enjoy nearly 3,400 miles (5,500 km) of shoreline. Not all of this is beach, of course, but we do have miles and miles of sandy beach along our coast.
Yeah, I usually do something special on the 4th.
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
What are you doing this Independence Day to celebrate?
@DWDavis going to a barbecue with a local group I belong to.
@Tracy04 (10661)
Happy Holiday! Enjoy your holiday.
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Thank you. I have enjoyed the holiday this year.
@Tracy04 (10661)
@mandala100 (25344)
@DWDavis That's a very good shot of the beach.
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Thank you. If you added up all the days I spent within 100 yards of that pier while growing up it would equal years.
@mandala100 (25344)
@DWDavis Really? That's nice to know.
@prashu228 (22641)
Wow that's nice beach, hope you enjoyed. Have a great day
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I enjoyed every minute I was there. As I mentioned, this beach is home to me.
Not this year, Tony is still recovering from liver surgery and I cannot take off on a vacation, yet.
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I pray his recovery is progressing well.
@LeaPea2417 (15388)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is a nice photo of the beach and I am glad you got to spend the day with your long time friend there. No, I have been staying at home during the holidays.
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I had not planned on venturing anywhere near the beach this weekend until my friend called and told me he'd be in town for a few days.
@josie_ (5150)
The scenic photo looks inviting especially since we've been having rain these couple of days. Happy 4th of July.
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
It started to rain within minutes of me getting back to my truck to come home, and I drove through storms all the way back.
Tomorrow is the fourth and we will be going to a BBQ at a friend's house.
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
That seems like a good way to celebrate. We're having a cookout, but it will just be the two of us.
@Ronrybs (7132)
• London, England
I am not a beach person and it looks too hot for me there. Stay indoors with a good book I say!
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
It was hot, but there was a steady breeze, and we had a big beach umbrella for shade.
@Ronrybs (7132)
• London, England
@DWDavis I didn't take my own advice and went for a bike ride. Think I've caught too much sun!
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@Ronrybs Hydration, aloe lotion, and time are the only cures I know for that.
• Lakewood, Colorado
No we didn't do a thing DW..such a waste of the day oh well. This beach is stupendous! So glad you got to spend some time with your friend
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
My missus had to work on Monday and couldn't go with me, but she insisted I go. Yesterday, she and I spent a quiet day at home together.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@DWDavis Beach time is to be treasured and so nice you also got to have a nice quiet day yesterday together with your wife DW.
Fabulous photo! I love the beach any time of year. Nice that you had a good day at the beach to catch up with your friend. We had lots of BBQs to attend. I'm still stuffed!
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
My wife and I had a quiet bbq for two at home on the 4th.
@YrNemo (8678)
Terrific photo! I took some every time I passed a beach, but for the life of me, I can't remember where they are right now.
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
This beach is very special to me, as I spent a large portion of my youth here.
No, I took a four hour nap. I did see the fireworks, though.
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I didn't see any fireworks, but I certainly heard some. Then the Big Guy decided to send us some of his fireworks and the others all dimmed in comparison.
Good to catch up and reminisce of old times.
@DWDavis (11146)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
When we get together it is like no time has passed since we last saw each other.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I went to St. Augustine Beach, FL for the day on July 4th. So you and I got some Vitamin Sea while we were soaking up the Vitamin D.
I am so glad you got to spend some time with your friend. I find it very relaxing laying on the beach.
@Spontaneo (180)
I am happy for you.