Got the Thundershirt on my cat

My old man cat is petrified of thunderstorms and fireworks. He freaks out, hides in a closet, and just shakes and drools the whole time the event is going on and even for an hour or so afterward. I decided to buy him a Thundershirt a couple of years ago to try to help to keep him calm. It is a wrap that you put snugly around your cat (or dog) that applies pressure which is supposed to have a calming effect on your pet. I don't know if it actually helps him, but I figure that it certainly can't hurt. If it helps, even a little bit, then it is worth it. Problem is, now that it is on, he knows that something is up and he is pacing around the house. I will put him in my bedroom under the comforter in a little bit as it gets closer to dark. That's when the town fireworks start and, after that, when the neighbors will start their illegal displays.
Oh poor kitty..yeah that may just help him Chicaa. I hope so. I have heard of those. Yes it will be loud here in a few too.
@NJChicaa Oh the poor parrot too..it does scare him but he laughs about it too?
@TiarasOceanView I don't think she is scared. She doesn't really get scared by anything except the vacuum.
@NJChicaa Good she isn't scared then.
I feel so sorry for pet dogs and cats as the freworks get moisy and go on an on with the illegal ones they shoot off
So far he is hanging in there. The town fireworks have started but they are on the other side of town so you can barely hear them over the AC window units running. Once they stop, though, the neighbors will start and that's when he will flip out.
Your cat is now a fashion plate.
I'm surprised he tolerates wearing it.
Never heard od those for pets. I know they make the heavy blankets for humans to calm them..
I've been using it with my old man cat for the past 2 years. I really don't know if it helps him because he is still very upset. But I hope that he is maybe a little bit less upset. Then we put him under blankets so he feels safe.
@NJChicaa i hope it works even little bit
@Courtlynn I hope that tooo
@FourWalls (12902)
A very good idea this time of year with all the fireworks. They had a story on the news about making sure your pets are secure while the fireworks are going off. Another thing that I read about that hasn't gotten as much press, and that's veterans who have PTSD don't react well to fireworks. And, unfortunately, unlike Fluffy or Fido, there are no "thunder shirts" to help them. Hope you and your cat make it through.
@FourWalls (12902)
@NJChicaa -- that's the word that everyone seems to ignore. ILLEGAL. It's like immigration: people aren't against immigration, they're against ILLEGAL immigration. I like fireworks, but the ones outside that sound like a howitzer are ILLEGAL and should NOT be rattling the pictures off my walls.
@FourWalls well apparently my redneck neighbors (and I DON'T live in the south) think that I should just accept their lawbreaking because "we're celebrating". F that!
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
We haveheard some, but not too bad, not as bad as we would if we were in the city.
It wasn't as bad last night as I had expected it to be. They must be saving it up for tonight.
@franxav (4722)
They are badly disturbed by such noises. Our dogs just can't take the fireworks.
He can't either.
@Tracy04 (10575)
Wow! I'm sure the cat will like it.
I also noticed that my dog also freak out when there is some blast of fireworks. He looks so cute on wearing the Thundershirt.
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Hope the wrap helps your pet. Happy Fourth of July.