Bang, Boom, Flash

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Bang, boom, flash; that pretty much describes my neighbourhood at the moment. It also pretty much describes every 4th of July evening around here. Both my husband and eldest son like to play with pyrotechnics and for them the 4th of July is an excuse to blow things up. This year our firstborn is elsewhere for this particular holiday and son number two is more like the rest of us; fireworks are nice to watch but we don’t really get very excited about lighting them off. It’s been a good evening, here, though we were able to vid-chat with our absent child via Google Hangouts and my daughters and I enjoyed a rousing game of Settlers of Catan with the absent child’s girlfriend. The food was good and there was lots of laughter around my great-room table this evening so I think our day can be declared a resounding success. How about you? Did you enjoy your day?
Sounds a very good day there Joanne. Our day was quite boring and the fireworks have been going for days here.. It will last another few days as well.
We've been hearing bangs and booms for the last few nights, but they are closest to home tonight. I hope the neighbours don't keep the noise up until too late; I have kids that have to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for work at 5 tomorrow morning.
@Platespinner Oh poor kids..I hope they don't keep them up then.
@TiarasOceanView It's pretty quiet now, so hopefully it's all over for another year!
@RubyHawk (25176)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Sounds llke a happy day with family. Our day was good.
It was nice to have the evening just with family. The last few years we've had a large gathering, but that was at the instigation of my son, who currently lives in Germany.
@RubyHawk (25176)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Platespinner We used to have large gatherings but our families are scattered now.How long will your son be in Germany?
It's been a nice relaxing day. But we have fireworks going off again tonight as they have been the last few. I'm not interested in them and it scares one of our dogs.
Our current canine isn't bothered by fireworks. I enjoy watching fireworks from afar, but not up close...I'd be quite happy if my husband would choose to forego the pyrotechnics...that's not likely to happen though.
Every day I wake up, hav food and shelter is a good day
We went to a nearby town with a huge lake and took a boat tour which was lovely and enjoyed lunch along the lake. It was quiet until a few minutes ago when the fireworks went on for about an hour continuously. Every year some of the local residents at our lake put on quite a show.
@amnabas (10282)
• Karachi, Pakistan
That's good you enjoyed differently... My day was fine.
yes I have enjoyed a day of reading responding and liking 'plus did all the notifications too
I am about to start my day. I hope it would be an enjoyable day.
@Hanyouyomi (1943)
• Dallas, Texas
Yeah the pows, bangs and booms of Independence Day describes my neighborhood too. I enjoy it.
Hopefully the booms will subside you can get a night's rest.
@silvermist (20100)
Seems like you had a great day.I like to see the fireworks.But I do not like the noise.
@rina110383 (24134)
So far, I enjoyed the whole morning working. I'm having my lunch break now.
It sounds like you had a good day! The kids and I had a good evening, we had a dance party which was lots of fun. =)
Sounds terrific! Happy 4th!
@DWDavis (10771)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
My wife and I enjoyed a quiet, until dusk, Independence Day. I grilled a pork loin and some corn-on-the-cob for dinner. The neighborhood fireworks ended around 10:30 pm when the rain and thunder rolled in with some real fireworks.
It sounds like you had a wonderful holiday. Mine was laid back. I did laundry at my daughter's, but that's it besides watching a movie. I did watch the fireworks on TV last night and heard them going off in the neighborhood until well after midnight.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
I spent my day with an exuberant and energetic four year old. Her only moment of extreme...meltdown....unhappiness occurred just as mommy arrived to pick her up (she banged her knee.....oh the tears.)
I have never been a fan of lighting fireworks, I like to watch them time by time, but I dislike too much noise. I am glad you had a nice celebration.
Glad you have such an enjoyable day despite the absence of one. Vince likes blowing things up too.