They make me feel inadequate for not driving.

@millie02 (5845)
United Kingdom
When I was about 19, I wanted to learn to drive and I booked myself some driving lessons. Unfortunately, I did not get on with the driving instructor and I had a bad experience. This put me off driving and I have not driven since. When people find out that I cannot drive, some of them look at me as if I am stupid. This makes me feel upset because I think that driving should be a personal choice and not something that everybody should have to do.
@Ronrybs (7133)
• London, England
I always feel a bit sorry for people with cars. They spend so much time working to earn money, just to keep the thing going. I haven't owned one for over 20 years and don't feel any less for that
@millie02 (5845)
We did not get a car until we were both 40, even now it is only my husband who drives it. We still prefer to walk as often as we can.
@Ronrybs (7133)
• London, England
@millie02 I like how much money I am not spending!
@millie02 (5845)
@Ronrybs You can save a lot of money by not having a car. They are very expensive both to buy and run.
@1creekgirl (8617)
Don't let people make you feel bad. I didn't get my driver's license until I was 22 and only then because I had a child and needed to be able to drive. I still don't like it, though.
@millie02 (5845)
A lot of people say that they do not like driving any more.
@ramapo17 (19020)
• Melbourne, Florida
@millie02 There are so many people on the road these days and some of them should not even be driving.
@millie02 (5845)
@ramapo17 I agree, many of them do not look very safe.
It's never to late to learn and get a license.
@millie02 (5845)
I don't think I will bother, I have managed this long by not driving.
@mandala100 (25341)
I'm so sorry to hear that you have a bad exprience during your learning stage to drive.
I am glad not to be the only one in myLot who does not drive. I tried, I did not like, I never thought it was necessary to have a driver license.
@ramapo17 (19020)
• Melbourne, Florida
Where I grew up and lived there was no way to go without driving. I got my license at 17 and still have it at 75.
@ramapo17 I did not need to drive in the city where I was born. When we moved from Italy to Monte-Carlo I needed to use a car even less. Monte-Carlo is such a small place the car is more a burden than a pleasure there. I went everywhere walking.
@ramapo17 (19020)
• Melbourne, Florida
@LadyDuck I have been in Monte Carlo and I know exactly what you mean.
That's mean of people to act like that. I didn't start driving until I was about 25. Drove until two springs ago when I made the decision to quit driving. I have a cataract and it doesn't make it very safe.
@millie02 (5845)
It is probably best to give up driving if you no longer feel safe doing it.
@millie02 .....Yes, after I went to drive it again and there were obviously mechanical issues I decided against it. Then later found out I had the cataract so I knew it was a good decision.
@ramapo17 (19020)
• Melbourne, Florida
Did you ever have the cataracts removed? I have to get that soon as I was told 2 years ago I would eventually need that and I am realizing that it is time.
@ramapo17 (19020)
• Melbourne, Florida
It is not because you are stupid. Some people are afraid to drive and those people should not be behind the wheel of a car. Back when you were trying to learn you should have tried with someone else teaching you. We all do not get along with everyone. I think it is not a good idea not to drive, unless there is a medical reason, because you might come to a time when you need to get out fast and cannot find anyone to take you. This is very important if you have children or grandchildren.
@millie02 (5845)
I am a nervous person and I think I might be a danger to other road users.
@ramapo17 (19020)
• Melbourne, Florida
@millie02 In the US there are a lot of areas where there is no public transportation so getting a license is really necessary.
@millie02 (5845)
@ramapo17 It is getting like that in the UK with all the bus routes being changed.
I am right there with you, I'm 32 and have no desire to drive. I am terrified to do so. I freeze up behind the wheel when ever I get scared-not good. So, I just don't do it. It's safer for me to be a passenger.
@ramapo17 (19020)
• Melbourne, Florida
At least you realize you can't do it and it is safer that way.
@prashu228 (22816)
Bad people. I agree I should be personal choice
@Tracy04 (10691)
Oh don't feel like that! When I first learn how to drive I always hit the cone And after got license I hit someone's car That's all bad experiences for me But sis don't give up! I know you can do it