Favorite's List - Disaster Movies - Towering Inferno

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Yes, I've come to #1 on this list. Towering Inferno, as has been mentioned by a few in this favorites list, is a favorite by many. It had some big name actors and two that shared top billing - Steve McQueen and Paul Newman. Other big names were William Holden, Faye Dunaway, Fred Astaire, Richard Chamberlain, Robert Vaughn, Robert Wagner, and O.J. Simpson. A fire breaks out on one of the floors as a party is taking place on the top floor, for the grand opening of the office and apartment building tower. Towering Inferno won three Academy Awards in 1975 for Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, and Best Music. There were several other nominations, including Best Picture, and won a Golden Globe Award - Best Supporting Actor - Fred Astaire. I give this a solid five stars for plot, acting, and graphics. Have you seen it? What do you think of it? Thanks for reading.
@mandala100 (25384)
@just4him I have watch this Towering Inferno during my youinger days. It was a very thrilling movie.
Yes it was.
@mandala100 (25384)
@just4him That's cool.
I have seen this and loved it.You are right on the graphics.I was so happy to see Fred Astaire wining the Globe award. How wonderful for him to take it with him when he pass.the move was great.Not sure how many here know about this one
Fred Astaire is a superb actor and deserved it. He was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor as well.
Sounds like quite a list of good actors. Fires are so scary.
Yes they are. There were a lot more big actors in this. It seemed star studded.
@just4him .......I like those.
@celticeagle So do I.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I do remember this one..how could I forget. Movie was gripping and amazing. Pretty well done for its time Valerie.
Yes it was.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I remember when that show came out. My parents took us 4 kids to see it. It sticks out in my mind because we didn't go to see many shows. All I remember is seeing all of the smoke from the patrons who smoked during the movie. Imagine smoking in a public place today!
Not going to happen. I don't remember seeing that one in the theater, not until it came on TV.
I saw that movie years ago and I remember thinking that water is better than fire any day. I mean it did cause a few deaths but it saved the day for the others.
I agree, water is better than fire, though both can kill. Yes, most of the people were saved.
@silvermist (15817)
I love disaster movies and this is one of my favorites,I had watched this movie first in the theater and then again at home.Loved it,
I don't remember seeing this one in the theater. I'm glad it's one of your favorites.
I haven't seen this movie in ages but remember loving it. Great choice for thrilling disaster movie
I haven't seen it in ages either. But it is a great disaster movie.
I loceds the movied alll tjhe best actors so good, everything about i t was good
Yes it was. You can't fail to have good acting with that kind of line up.
Yes, I did see this one and it is a good one, for sure. Did not know about those 3 Academy Awards, however.
Verified by IMDB otherwise I wouldn't have known about them either, but I figured it had to have at least one Academy Award.
@dramagirl26 (3439)
• Ringgold, Virginia
I've watched Towering Inferno a couple of times and it's a good movie. I loved how they had an all star cast.
I don't think it would have done so well without the all star cast.
• Ringgold, Virginia
@just4him So true! In my opinion, that's what made the movie.
@dramagirl26 Yes it was.
@MsBooklover (2020)
Yes, I did. And that was scary. I don't do scary these days.
I didn't find that one scary, nail biting. I don't do scary either.
@just4him For me, it is a different kind of scary.
@kiran8 (15241)
• Mangalore, India
I have seen it several times , as you say it is indeed one of the best disaster movies .
I'm glad you like it. Yes it is.
Not a surprise choice as this was a big hit. Personally I would have picked The Poseiden Adventure.
I have that one on the list, fourth I think. It's also a favorite and trying to decide which one is better than another is sometimes hard.