Don’t Traumatize Your Nails

As I have posted yesterday I consulted a dermatologist about my toenail that seems to have fungus. Here are some things she told me about how we can get it. We should not wear long nails and use them for typing because they can get cracked and fungi will live in there and will start wrecking your nails. It is this way, how I first had fungi in my toenails. I bumped a toenail accidentally into a hard object while walking that the nail cracked. Then after a few days, I noticed it discolored and know that it has fungi. I treated it with an anti-fungi and it got well, the nail grew nicely again. And when we have fungi in our toenails and is treating it, we should not eat sweet foods, because the fungi thrive on those under the cracked nails, she said. Thus, because I am under treatment I avoid sweet foods. My coffee in the morning is just black, no sugar. Well, I survived drinking coffee without sugar. All for the sake of my toenails.
The nails are prone to going down with fungi in damp and hot weather,but not in dry weather .I haven't known that people who have it have to abstain from sweet food before.
@SIMPLYD Sugar is the number one culprit.
@TiarasOceanView Yes, now I know.
@louievill (18336)
I think regular bathing in the beach or soaking in saturated salt solution would help since fungus find it hard to survive on high salt concentrations. I had experimented treating ring worms and tinea flava with saturated salt solution rather than salicylic acid that burns the skin.
I avoid sun bathing, because they make my freckles multiply. ha ha ha. Saturated salt solution ? How do you make that?
@louievill (18336)
@SIMPLYD dissolve salt in water until in can no longer dissolve the salt, that is a saturated solution. Fungi are microscopic plants with no chlorophyll so they thrive in the dark and damp, experiment watering plants daily with saturated salt solution it would die, that's my theory.
@louievill I think you are correct in your theory because someone from here said that salt water is very good for this problem.
@mandala100 (39040)
@SIMPLYD Thank you for this discussion about toenail.
Did you learn something from it?
@mandala100 (39040)
@SIMPLYD Yes my friend. I have.
@mandala100 So, we should also be careful with our nails. Sometimes, we don't mind it, that's why.
seems a tad drastic? i've long fingernails (they grow like weeds) 'n aint ne'er suffered from such a malady'n my hands. ne'er 'd such'n my toenails 'til my health failed. my remedy? mentholatum rub. didn't avoid sweets, the cost 'twas minimal 't best.
Why did you have this before also - fungi on toenails? Yes, the dermatologists says sweets makes them thrive so i better avoid sweets. So now, i avoid them. In fact, my coffe now is without sugar.
@SIMPLYD yes ma'am, but 'twas due to the cipro toxicity 'n the aftermath that came with such. many thingies thrive'n sugar, so 'tis best to avoid 'r 't least use sparin'ly.
@crazyhorseladycx Actually since I was told not to eat sugary foods in consideration for treating my toenails' fungal infection, the only sweet I have taken is a cola once when we eat in a fast food because it comes as a package to the burger and fries. I don't put sugar anymore in my coffee for breakfast.
This is great information! Thanks for the tips. Got any advice for ingrown toenails? I have them bad and the only way I know to fix them is to cut them back sometimes making them bleed. I kicked one of them last night on the step and now it really hurts! I would appreciate any and all advice in this arena!
I really don't know about ingrown toenails. Though, before when I was still having pedicure on salons , they once has cut it too deep, that it bled. Then, the next day it was swollen like a small tomato so i wnt to a doctor about it. He gave me an antibiotic and that antibiotic dried the sweeling and it peeled off. But since then, i do my own cleaning and pedicure. At least if itis I that do it , I will feel if I have reached a painful one and stop it.
@SIMPLYD Thanks for the response. I agree I quit going to the salon for pedicures for the same reason. I bought this tool that helps me cut the ingrown toenail and it works great! Sometimes they still are sore afterward though.
@leeannhargrave Yes, we just have to do it ourselves. It's much cheaper too that way. Perhaps you have cut a lot of ingrown that they become sore afterwards.
@velvet53 (16261)
• Palisade, Colorado
This is good to know. I was told to use something like Vick's Vapor Rub on toenails that has a fungus. I have never had to try it so I don't know if it works or not.
I have read about too, from a member here. I am now on very little sweets diet. I lost weight, I have to little by little eat some sweets again, because thin, doesn't look good on me.
@velvet53 (16261)
• Palisade, Colorado
@SIMPLYD I'm not a big sweet eater but I do like some once in awhile. I need to tighten up my muscles. I definitely don't need to lose any weight.
@Tracy04 (10527)
I agree with the title anyway
Thank you. So I had an appropriate title for this then.
@Tracy04 (10527)
Wow I certainly didn't know that fungus will thrive on sweets foods that we consume. Very interesting and good to know
Yes, so that's why while medicating a nail with fungi, you should avoid eating sweets. In addition, she said that sugar can make us look old faster.
@SIMPLYD Gee sugar really does affect us both internally and externally.
You can also get fungus in public places like gyms and beach showers. I always wear flip flops in them.
Yes, that is true. That is why as much as possible we avoid places like swimming pools where there are many people.
@PatZAnthony (12573)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It is amazing how bad sugar is for humans (and pets too) @SIMPLYD
Indeed. Sugar is sweet, yet can also be deadly to both humans and animals. But I wonder though, why chocolate can kill a dog?
@Lucky15 (33423)
i always have a short a short toe nails, not comfortable if i have them a bit longer
• Portland, Connecticut
I honestly can't believe that nail fungi is affected by sugar intake but I have never had it so am no expert and I certainly eat a lot of sweets lol
No, it's when you already have fungi in your nails I think that they have to be avoided or the fungi will thrive the more.
@JESSY3236 (6224)
I used to have medium long nails, but now I have them short. I think it's better to have them short if you are doing any kind of exercise too. I always have short toenails.
@JustBhem (31833)
• Davao, Philippines
Thanks for sharing this.
I feel that i Should share it because I know fungi in toenails are not being experienced. And to avoid it, then I should share it.
@shaynas (5534)
Thanks for the information :)
are you using medictions or ointments to clear the fungus?
Yes, that's what I only bought from the clinic. Though, I also boughtthe prescribed Selenium sulfide wash for the feet.
@aishanee (443)
• Cuttack, India
Thanks so much for the info.I never knew that sugary foods need to be avoided when you have infected nails.
Me too. So I was surprised when she said that. At least now, I know what to avoid when there is a fungal infection.
@prashu228 (25821)
Today I am reading a lot if health related topics. Thank you for the information. On how to take care of nails
I am glad you find this informative . .