Doing it the hard way

Bunbury, Australia
Today we travelled through part of the Pyrenees to reach the summit of Col de Tourmelet, the highest paved mountain pass in the French Pyrenees. It has an elevation of 2,115 metres (6,939 ft). We saw a lot of ski lodges and ski lifts. The area is obviously a popular skiing area. We came across some cows, some of which had bells. We also saw a lot of Dutch iris growing wild on the slopes. There were many bike riders on the road together with a good number of people on motor-bikes. We were at the summit when a man rode up on a pushbike with two quite young children on bike seats behind him. The smallest was young enough to be still sucking his thumb. Behind him was a rack of sorts which seemed to be acting as a clothes line. A few moments later the mother arrived on her own bike but carrying all their equipment. I haven’t cropped the photo too much so you can get an idea of the height of the place and a view of the mountains beyond.
We had two Canadians friends who came to do this. I am sure that people looking at them thought they were French, they even were French Canadians. This is something I would never do, even if they paid me.
It would be a very very tough climb on a pushbike but exhilarating on a motor-cycle
I wouldn;t do it either even with pay as i am terrified of heights.i will look at pictures like Judy's to enjoy the view.
@Marty1 That's one way of enjoying things we don't want to do ourselves.
@xFiacre (5229)
@judyev That's somewhere you need to sit a while if you're going to take it all in. Especially if you cycle all the way up!!
It said parking was 'obligatoire' so that's what we did. But you need to stop there, as you say, and take it all in. I just can't imagine cycling up it. What some people do for kicks is beyond me.
@xFiacre (5229)
@JudyEv Why cycle when you can drive? The avoidance of suffering is to be commended on every occasion.
@Lucky15 (33698)
quite high, i mean really high place for me :)
Yes, it is a long way up.
That looks like a beautiful place.
The scenery on the way up was really incredible.
@WorDazza (10091)
• Manchester, England
That looks like heaven. Altbough I probably wouldn't get to enjoy much of the scenery as I'd be doing the driving. There's no way Mrs WorDazza would drive on those roads.
It wouldn't worry me driving although I don't drive the motor-home. But every now and then Vince will mention something he's spotted and add 'I'll watch the road while you look'.
@WorDazza (10091)
• Manchester, England
@JudyEv Mrs WorDazza is extremely eagle-eyed. If my eyes move even the tiniest fraction away from the road she pounces.
@WorDazza I'm sure Vince sometimes thinks it's okay for him to sight-see as I'm watching the road enough for two of us!
I love the sky's color on this picture. There are so many things that we can encounter during a road trip.
We had a lovely day's travelling yesterday thanks. It was warm and sunny.
It us beautiful. I think the photo doesn't have to be worked on as it is gorgeous The sky is so blue, and the cumulous clouds are like white balls of cotton
You can see the blue helmets of the two children behind the bike-rider and behind them is a tea-towel drying in the wind.
@amnabas (10312)
• Karachi, Pakistan
Ohhh wow exclusive photo... Loving it.
It shows how high up we are which is what I like about it
@PBKING (1539)
Wow...that looks like beautiful place...also it's looking somewhat risky... Is that a risky place?
@moffittjc (45290)
• Gainesville, Florida
Such beautiful scenery! I love the mountains, and often wish I lived closer to where there were mountains.
The scenery is fantastic. Although we're now out of the Pyrenees there are still plenty of big hills around with great views.
@moffittjc (45290)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv I'm sure most of France has beautiful scenery. I would love to tour the countryside one day. Really explore the areas outside of the typical tourist areas.
@moffittjc We've kept out of the large cities. We're not really city people and the van is too hard to park so we've kept to the country areas. There are dozens of things to see and marvel at.
He climbed the Tourmelet, dragging two kids behind him? Impressive!
Can you imagine? Then his wife staggered along with two big saddle-bags. Here's a better photo. Note the tea-towels drying.
@JudyEv - Wow, I can't imagine doing that.
@teamfreak16 Surely you'd have to be a little bit mad.
@Inlemay (16982)
• South Africa
Lovely view - I have done my trails of the long way round - not again
We don't like walking huge distances any more. We're too old now and our legs get too tired and achy.
@Inlemay (16982)
• South Africa
@JudyEv yesterday the stage 12 Tour'de France ended at a Ski resort Peyragudes which is a ski resort in the French Pyrenees, situated in the Hautes-Pyrénées and Haute-Garonne, in the Midi-Pyrénées I thought of you while watching
@Inlemay We still might end up being on the same road as them. We're trying to work out if it's possible.
@Ronrybs (7438)
• London, England
A friend of mine is out there pedalling away. His youngsters are university age, so I don't think it is them in the piccie1
There are many older ones - some with grey beards and obviously not at all young. Many don't look like they're enjoying it but we always say that about joggers too - that they don't seem to be having any fun.
@Tracy04 (10815)
Love the picture
Thanks. I don't know what we're going to do with them all.
It does look rather high.
We had a great view from such a height.
I will stick to driving! Won't catch me on a bike in that terrain.
It would be terrible on a bike - or even walking yet there were lots of hikers out and about too.
Beautiful country there.
It is certainly lovely country.