No School, No Sales

https://pixabay.com/en/children-school-laughing-fun-602967/
When I passed by an elementary school, the street was quiet and empty. I looked up at the windows. Ah, classes are ongoing. But why can't I hear the teachers? I looked at the stores in front of the school. They're all closed. Oh, right. It's Saturday. No one buying emergency school supplies, cheap disposable toys, or sweet and salty snacks and desserts.
Since we've been travelling we're having real trouble trying to remember what day it is. And we keep forgetting that the shops here close for lunch - usually for two hours.
i knew about the siestas in europe, but didn't know they last for two hours. what do you then while waiting?
@hereandthere They're not all 2 hours but a lot are. If we have the van nearby we might have a sleep too or we'll read our books.
ow two hours is a long time to be closed just for lunch a lot of the times I don't even take a lunch break.
@louievill (14690)
One good place to put up business is near a school
true, but i'm concerned about all the things they're selling now. there wasn't that much during our time. and some of the stuff are things you can do yourself at home for free. anyway, what would you set up if you lived near a school?
@louievill (14690)
@hereandthere school supplies, printing, snacks, student meal etc.. When I was in college in Manila the sidewalk peanut vendor's daughter wore a uniform like ours. The place where they did typing jobs at 1 peso per page during those times ( there were no computers and printers yet lol) was a millionaire, I know cause the Chinese guy was my late father's friend, anyway that was a big University.
that very well could be the case but it also depends wat kinda business it is of course.
@nomus24g (13639)
Time for students to have weekend fun at home :)
true, because they only go to school mondays through fridays, but if i had a store or shop in front of the school, i would still keep it open on weekends, even if business is slow.
@nomus24g (13639)
@hereandthere probably that's not viable...
I agree they spend a lot of time playing too many violent video games these days.
No schools, no sales everyone is at home having fun.
the school year here starts in june, actually, and ends in march, so it looks like they only close on saturdays and sundays. i do know it's summer where you are so it's vacation time.
I'm sure that's wat it is or maybe spending family time with their loved ones or maybe shopping.
@Lucky15 (31240)
hi, reine!!! good to see you back!!
@Lucky15 (31240)
@hereandthere hello! How are you?
@Lucky15 i'm good, but mylot-wise, still irregular! hahaha! are you still using a tablet or is your lappy fixed now?
@ilocosboy (20769)
that's the reason why schools play big part in the economics of our country. Its part of the cycle of the currency to make the business active in our place.
i'm actually having a hard time finding a dressmaker. there are three shops here, but they say they are all busy sewing uniforms.
@ilocosboy (20769)
@hereandthere ha ha, they are all busy sewing the uniforms of the students, too bad there are only few dressmaker now.
@hereandthere wouldn't surpise me they do the things where the money is in their target markets.
@thelme55 (8380)
But there is class in my niece school this 2 Saturdays. My hometown has its fiesta on the 25th that is why there are classes on 2 Saturdays to refund the fiesta days.
that's true. when there are too many no-school days, they have makeup classes.
@thelme55 (8380)
@hereandthere yes they have indeed.
@josie_ (4290)
It also happens to me when I forget what day it is. I get up early in the morning and start waking up my grandchildren to get ready for school. "But lola (grandma) it's Saturday". they sleepily answer me. "pahiya ako"
and also when there's a holiday (no school/work day)
@MGjhaud (20647)
Some of them might be selling somewhere on weekends.
with the food sellers, probably. with the school supplies, some might buy at the market, the grocery store or before class.
@RubyHawk (14892)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Agood reason not to see the children.
That is sort of the way it is for summer by the college here! There are still summer sessions going on, but not the bulk of the students around like it is the rest of the year (many graduated or probably went home for the summer). There are many restaurants and stores around, but they are not as busy right now - even the streets are less crowded with traffic (which is good for us!).
@prashu228 (14520)
Ah I miss all those days..
It seems that you need to enjoy your weekends.lol Enjoy the rest of the day!
@tzwrites (2818)
The kids need the weekend break
@amnabas (9655)
• Karachi, Pakistan
Yeah it's weekend..
Are there ongoing classes that Saturday? Maybe the teacher is giving an exam that's why you can't hear the teachers.
it's a public elementary school, so monday to friday only. i was just surprised that even the row of stores in front are all closed.
@hereandthere Maybe because they only cater to the students there.
@SIMPLYD more sales for those that are in the periphery
@sishy7 (22725)
Are schools close or in sessions on Saturdays?
it's a public elementary school, so classes are from monday to friday only.
@sishy7 (22725)
@hereandthere are there private schools that have classes on Saturdays?
@sishy7 for elementary and high school probably not.
@ridingbet (30217)
we are procrastinators. we hurry and cram if it is already classes.
i was just surprised that they're all closed on saturdays and sundays just because there's no classes
@ridingbet (30217)
@hereandthere even here. then when Monday comes and they are open, many students and pupils rush to buy things for school.
@KnehKnah (3459)
Just like in Public schools here. They get so quiet during Saturdays. I find it a good respite in the neighborhood but seem sad too. Ah, wait till it's Monday again!
students of all ages pass by our house several times a day, from morning till night.
The shops should still be open on Saturday, parents who work during the week may need to buy something,
they'll probably buy them from the market or grocery store or at the mall