I almost lost Marty, my hamster, twice this morning

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I am not a happy camper. Something horrible happened at almost 2 am this morning. I woke up and thought I was dreaming. I was awakened by the noise. I looked and thought i saw my hamster, many of you know as Marty, who I spend life trying to make him happy, and he must have been walking among my modem and other wires by my desk I went to look in his cage to be sure, and his cage bottom was out if its grooves, and it was open. My baby was gone I did find him in the dining room, and he let me pick him up then. I then let him in his ball, and he stayed in it almost three hours, I went to put them in his cage I bent down to put his ball down, and he jumped out of my hand, and i caught him, then before I stood up he jumped again and I had to struggle to keep him in my hands, He has ben unhappy for awhile, nights.I think, as for the last week every night I wake up, and he turned over his food bowl anights. Those I love him and still do love him more than any human being alive. what, oh, what did i do to bet Marty's wrath and ire? i am never going to be happy again and will never laugh or smile again. i feel very, very depressed. Worst than the hundreds of other depressions in the last 45 years, I ever had. Believe me there have been some bads ones. What, oh what dear my letters do I do to make the little guy happy?and how do I make me happy? Picture from pixabay
@josie_ (7342)
Get Marty a mate. Even with human companions animals still prefer their own species.
I don't know how he would react in sharing my love as he is used to the extreme amount of love i give him thank you for the advice.
I agree with your suggestion. That's a nice solution for Marty's situation.
• Dallas, Texas
@Marty1 If you already apologized for any offense, he might just need time to cool off, while you care for him of course...
Jennifer do not think that Marty does not love you. Animals sometimes are like kids, they behave badly because there is something that upsets them. Move his cage in another place and see if he feels more happy.May be is the heat and the weather.
He just was recently moved to his cage from my little better to the main room of the house in the living room part on the coffee table, and he sees the living room, dining room, and kitchen as it is all one big room without walls, so he has a big view of the outside because of n a huge window in the dining room and my living room front wall is a big window that reaches the floor I hope he likes it there as my room it was all one view every day all day except his ball time. I don;t think its heat as we have air conditioning, and it is rather chilly in here now,.H is all covered by his bedding over top him and all around him as he has been sleeping since 5 am this morning it is almost 1:30 pm now, I am hoping he is happy with the temperatures in here. I thank you for your kind note. I am just hoping for the best
@Marty1 I hope he loves the new place where he can see outside and a better view of the house. It seems Marty has calmed down. I noticed last night that it is full moon, you know that animals become nervous around the full moon. It is possible that the only problem was the first full moon of Summer.
@LadyDuck Oh, I was unaware it was a full moon. I also hear hospital emergency rooms are full during a full moon; Yes Marty must have been because of that moon, He was a good little boy last night. He went out in his ball from 8-10:50 pm then I went to sleep and woke up at 2 am and let him in his ball again from 2:15 am until 3, or 4 am, and then I put him back and went back to sleep until 8 am and he didn't escape! I think i may have tired him out. Since I got up, he has been in his bed sleeping peacefully but snoring loudly!
@ilocosboy (34311)
Marty will always be in good hands because of you.
Thank you that really makes me feel a bit better. Just worry he hates me... i don't; know what I would do without him.....
Marty doesn't hate you Jennifer. He is just pushing your buttons to get a rise out of you. They do that sometimes! Maybe if you move the cage to a different place so he can get a change of scenery.
( never thought of that! It is som unlike Marty though. I have moved his cage to the coffee table in the living room. He used to sit in my room. IHe also for a change of scenery twice this year as I had to be hospitalized twice this year. The first time after my case manager took me to the hospital she picked him up and took him home, and the second time my sister took him home, so that was two weeks the first time and here weeks the second time. i am busy apologizing, and he is content looking in his bed! Snoring kind of loud though!!
@Marty1 all tuckered out from a long night of play.
@ElusiveButterfly That is what I think he's even calling himself Marty the explorer after Dora the Explorer!!!! He seems content now so. Hopefully, I can trust him to go to sleep tonight and leave him. i have to follow everything he says I have to and he promises not to break loose anymore! Marty does know best!
You are the best person to take care of Marty...He knows this too. He just wanted you to play with him.
That could be it as he always was the kind of prankster of the family. I am going to try and sleep tonight without worrying all the night he will escape. My sister said I might not have put his cage together well enough and it would have been easy for him to get out. Thank you for the kind words!
@Marty1 Welcome Jennifer..Yes one time I had a pet get out of their cage too and I was worried and felt bad but it was an accident..it was a parrot and I was cleaning the cage and he flew out..but he came back.
@TiarasOceanView I usually put Marty in his ball while cleaning him out. But at least he came back, so I am trying to think about that. Glad your parrot came back!
@WorDazza (10106)
• Manchester, England
I can relate to your feelings for Marty (ridiculously cute little fella by the way). I tend to prefer animals to the vast majority of humans (myLot users excepted of course)
Yes, I love animals a lot more than humans Even my own family!! I am sorry, but this is a Marty look alike as I don't have a picture of him I lost my only one of him, But i think he looks just like the picture! Thank you for understanding Marty hates posing for pictures, but he is even cuter than the picture!! and handsome and kind He turned out a great young man!
@WorDazza (10106)
• Manchester, England
@Marty1 Oh you devious fraud you! How can I possibly believe anything you say anymore ? In all seriousness I can fully appreciate how difficult it is to get animals to stay still long enough to get a decent photo.
@WorDazza I tried once to get him on his ball, and he would not sit still long enough.I tried while he was ion his ball and the picture showed a big blur going across the floor!
@bluesa (13421)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Marty1 , I think Marty just wanted some extra attention from you because he loves his Momma. And he knows and appreciates that you love him. He has a happy and safe home with you.
Thank you, I was so pleased with what you said i almost cried tears of joy. I am hoping Marty loves me 1/4 of how much I love and adore him! Thank you I feel much better
@bluesa (13421)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Marty1 , it is true and I am sure Marty does love you very much. And I am so happy you feel much better
I am so sorry for you NOT being able to find some happiness stuck deep inside your depression Jennifer . . . I am sending good vibrations if it helps , uh oh lightening and thunder I am out of here . . . @Marty1
I am feeling better now! i seem to go in and out of depression lately. i am hoping to find some sort of happiness lasting happiness! My feelings of happiness are short-lived. Hope the storm you get isn't that bad. But lately, with the exception of the day, Marty escaped I seem to be happy feeling. I am happy today, and was yesterday!
@Marty1 seeming to go in and out of depression just means that you are reacting uncomfortably and negatively to particular stressors and as we humans try to find everlasting happiness, that is where the problem lies. Neither depressive states or euphoric (happiness) are permanent because every second a reaction to a stimulus occurs and whether that stimulus exacerbates a good or bad mood, will depend on how well that mood is tolerated and eventually passed over with ease or even difficulty, but one does get over it. Jennifer you have to decide in your mind when a reaction happens HOW much attention that reaction deserves so as not to over exert your flight or flight (accept or decline) thinking process. If feelings of happiness are short-lived, I am guessing so are the depressed states of being, as there is genuine balance amongst the two states of mind. It cannot always be good or bad and the sooner you stop feeding the totalitarian thought coping mechanism, you'll feel the results of how well you manage the stress that inadvertently causes the depressed state of mind. Did I make that clear or is it fuzzy ?
@enlightenedpsych2 believe it or not, I understood what you said. The good thing is that my periods of happiness lasts for a longer periods of time. I do get happy from just being in the same room as Marty! I feel better tonight very happy and it has been staying longer and longer each time I become happy. I am getting ready for bed now but feel too happy. to sleep I tried to sleep at 8:30PM but could not sleep. But now regardless of mood am very sleepy! Will try shortly!
It is nice that Marty didn't lose his way. I am sure it is not a good feeling losing a pet.
It scares me he would even attempt that when I spoil and treat him so well. I thought he was happy
@Marty1 I am sure he is so happy with you. I never tried to have a hamster but it sure nice to have one.
@Shavkat I always had pets growing up and have had several hamsters, but none as special or as loved by me as Marty. My last hamster was 27 years ago the summer before i started college. Marty is special because i was supposed to get a dog after my last Chihuahua and my mom got sick, and i ended up not getting a dog, and then my mom out of the blue told me I could go shopping with my sister and stop at the pet store and buy a hamster or gerbil I was the happiest person then and I still have Marty although she left me by dying abandoning me
@peachpurple (12875)
since your hammie is safe, you should put a bell around the nevk so that when marty runs you know where to find him
I don;r know if he would keep one one and it might scare him I thank you for the idea though as I may do just that
@peachpurple (12875)
@Marty1 Don't Lose him to the neighbor cat
@peachpurple Oh, I won't as the cats never come indoors. Marty is safe from cats!! Marty's teeth look extra sharp so that he would bite the cat! He has never bitten anybody or animal, but he can do it if he really wanted to do it!
@kobesbuddy (46254)
• East Tawas, Michigan
It sounds to me like Marty is maybe thirsty, could he need some water? Sometimes when Kobe needs water, he gets upset with me:(
Thank you for the suggestion! I give him a whole bottle of water three times a day morning, noon and at night before I go to bed! Tell Kobe hello for me and give him a big hug from Aunt Jenny!( my aunt name for my nephew!)
@kobesbuddy (46254)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Marty1 As it is with your nephew, Kobe adores his Aunt Jenny, too!:)
@kobesbuddy that makes my day!
Maybe Marty wanted to play with you but you were sleeping :)
Yes, like that idea! I wouldn't doubt it as he sure does love getting out of his cage and go in his ball! He is in his ball as I type this an is speeding around the house ! Good thing I sold my mom's car as he would be in the car speeding and getting speeding tickets! He didn'r want out in his ball yestrday as he was in his bed all night and morning!
@Marty1 Hehehe. I am glad Marty is having a good time in his ball! He was exhausted and slept from being in his ball (exercising a lot). Maybe he is trying to get on your sleeping schedule!
@infatuatedbby I think Marty was exhausted as he didn't come out of his bed this morning and I called him, and he said he went fishing as the sign said on his cage door, But suspect he was in his bed and just didn't want to come out today as he answered me! Little boys/hamsters can be so bad sometimes!
@RubyHawk (25105)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Pets can behave in peculiar ways but it doesn't mean he hates you. Marty's just behaving like the hampster he is. You take good care of him and that's all you can do. Feel better and don't worry.
Yes, I do think Marty has some love for me. He didn't escape last night, and hopefully, he won't ever again!
@RubyHawk (25105)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Marty1 I think all caged animals try to get out. But it doesn't mean he doesn't love you. Its just an animals nature.
@RubyHawk I think of Marty more of a human as he has so many human qualities! I forgot that is animals nature to get out of a cage? . But he has it so good in his cage such as water, food and comfortable bed! He spends many hours a day in his ball!
Hamsters aren't that smart. THeir brains are about the size of a hazel nut. You can only do what you can for the little guy. I bet he would very happy if you got him a playmate.
No Marty is the smartest creature alive smarter than any human I know! I know he is smarter than me!
@Marty1 ......He needs a friend to hang out with.
@celticeagle I would get him a friend, as I would get him anything he ever wanted! But I am afraid he won't want to share my love! Also, don't know whether he has room for a roommate. Also, we are set in our ways with a routine and don't know what would happen to my baby if I brought in another hamster. Thank you so much for the suggestion, though! I appreciate it!
He don't hate you. He is just being mischievous. He may be bored at night and seeking adventure. You will just have to make sure that he can't escape.
Sorry took so long to reply! Yes, I double checked his cage and since he sits in the coffee table in the living room I will start sleeping on a chair or maybe couch so I can keep and eye and ear out for him. That little guy won't get a chance to escape!
@Marty1 that's a good idea
@Happy2BeMe he is in his ball now am hoping it makes him tired and he won't be so intent on leaving
@Tracy04 (10792)
Perhaps buying a little larger place for him to that he has more space to run into. Or buy some new toys.
That is a good idea! I was thinking of buying a new cage for his second birthday! He does get out in his ball about 3 hours two times a day, so it is not like he is in his cage all day! I would never do that to him!
@Tracy04 (10792)
@Marty1 Glad to to hear that!
i am glad that you found him
Thank you, I am too as I don't know what I would do with my best friend ever!
@tzwrites (4912)
Marty is cute. He has too much energy maybe and needs more activities.
I agree with you. but the problem is I am sleeping while he is awake, though I do give him a few hours in his ball a day. He Is able to go all around the house. He has no place he cannot go in his ball on the floor where we live! (Basement and attic are off limits and the doors are closed) He gets lots of exercise. I think I will try to get him more hours of exercise a day! Thanks for the suggestion!
@FayeHazel (17981)
I'm sorry to hear that - even though you might not feel like it I find that physical activity helps with the depression. -- Maybe there are some articles online about how to appease a restless hamster? I hope that both you and Marty are feeling better soon
Thank you for the kind response! Marty has not broken out since that morning and is seeming happier! I am much better now as he has not escaped again. I am going to look up a restless hamster as he has Been tossing his food bowl off his third floor we call his food floor. I never scold him and just pick it up and put more food in it. We will be fine! thank you for caring!
I see you posted this a couple of days ago, so I hope Marty is happier by now.
Yes, I think he is happy now. He did toss his bowl of food off his third floor which is designated the Food Floor. But I don't know if that means he is unhappy?? He has been doing that a lot of the time lately.