Working On Self the Hard Way

@noni1959 (3005)
I decided to take control of what I can to help prevent more damage, surgeries etc. I started with my face which has some really bad sun damage from tanning and burning. This past Wednesday, I had the blue light therapy with my dermatologist to treat actinic keratosis that could lead to squamous cell cancer. It's not like those machines you buy for home. A cream drug called Levulan was put on my face. First I was washed with some acid type stuff which almost took my breath away like sniffy alcohol. Then this kerastick was broken almost like a glow stick and dabbed all over my face. Then I sat for an hour to incubate allowing it to absorb into cells that will make them sensitive to the light and destroy them. It has been like a horrible sunburn but lessening as the days progress. Although most can resume outside activities after 48 - 72 hours long as they wear good hats and lots of SPF, I have to stay in longer since mine really reacted. What's great is it will also remove tiny lines, spots etc giving some cosmetic bonuses as well. Yesterday, I still swore I wouldn't do this again but now I'm talking about my next treatment in November. I may not be able to stop some of my skin cancers but I can stop these.
@bunnybon7 (35524)
• Holiday, Florida
good for you great idea. you can do it
@noni1959 (3005)
Thank you. I am working on what I can do to slow some down.
So good to hear that you can at least stop some of the skin cancers. Sounds like quite an ordeal to have this treatment. Nice that some other benefits come with this type of treatment.
@noni1959 (3005)
The second day was the worse. I was warned but it hit harder since I had to go back the second day for a biopsy (insurance wouldn't allow it the same day) and just going from the house to the car and into the office caused a horrible reaction. I had a very floppy hat, lots of SPF and the car has very dark windows but wasn't enough. My doctor was upset for the reaction and I had to have cold cloths on me for an hour to calm it down. During that time I said never again but now I'll do it again.
@Tracy04 (10575)
Hope you recover soon.
@bunnybon7 (35524)
• Holiday, Florida
i recently got a friend that has Melanoma and 7 yrs ago was told she might have a year if she got treatment. she is still getting treatment and most days feels pretty good she says.so there is real hope here
@moffittjc (41209)
• Gainesville, Florida
Glad you are taking control of your situation and taking care of things you can control.
Good for you! The next time you will know what to expect and so it may not be as bad for you.
It sounds like caught an ordeal to go through
@dgobucks226 (10684)
I'm not familiar with this treatment? It actually sounds like you had a chemical peel? Hope it works out for you in the long run. They have really made progress in skin treatments today.