Were you the first owner of your home?

My sweet Spunky. He was about 1 year old here.
El Paso, Texas
I've been going through old discussions when I came across one about the concept of the "grandfather clause" or something to that effect. What @freelanzer was writing about was how companies will change their benefit packages and how sometimes that has an adverse affect on existing employees. In my case I have a grandfather clause, so to speak, in the deed to my property because I bought it 20 years ago before new laws went into effect.
I have heard the 'grandfather clause' and 'grandfathered' used many times in my work life but I never really concerned myself with what it really was all about...
We are the first owners of our home in Mississippi.
Lucky you. I'm planning on adding my heirs name to my deed in a couple years so the original subdivision rules will still apply after I pass.
Did you buy a new home.
We have never purchased a home, of the four we have had, of which we were the first owners.
Oh wow, how kool that you've owned 4 homes. Do you fix them up the sell them?
@rebelann Yes, our first home was my favorite. It was an older home in Oak Park, IL. We moved from there to a newer home, and that was a nice one. Then we moved to be closer to my parents and a better school district. We moved to the home we have now to downsize in the same town as home number 3. We did update all four, but I do hope this one is the last one. It is a ranch house which is just right for a retired couple with an empty nest.
• Portland, Connecticut
We are not the first owner of any of our homes, as a matter of fact, we are the third on two of them and fourth on the other. I don't think we have any grandfather clauses.
You probably don't, those are usually the original rules in a subdivision and some change over time so that when the 2nd or 3rd owner buys it they'll have to abide by any new rules that have been applied
• Portland, Connecticut
@rebelann We have a covenant in Florida and in CT and PA. we are not in subdivisions so I don't think there is anything much in our deeds. Though in PA. I am not allowed to have a well and the mineral rights belong to the people who sold the land originally.
Mineral rights are hard to get in any deed these days @BelleStarr you'd have to inherit an original tract of land from the original owner. You're lucky to have so much rural property.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I did have a house once where I was the first tenant, but I did not own the house. It was a lovely new house.
I'll bet it had a lot of rules you needed to follow.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@rebelann Not really Rebel..but it was a lovely designed house but that did me no good as it was a bad neighborhood so I didn't stay.
What a shame @TiarasOceanView
I didnt understand anything from this lol
Oh well, that's life. Maybe if you read it again?
@rebelann its difficult lol
Is English your second language @Sherwinmrtn ?
@jobelbojel (4319)
My grandfather owned the house. It was his family's home for years.
Oh wow, that is way too kool. I wish I knew where my grandfathers grew up.
@rebelann We renovated the house.
That makes sense @jobelbojel but your descendants will always have a part of their ancestors no matter what has been changed.
We are the first owners of our home. We bought it in 1994. Still live here.
That's fantastic. A lot of times a township will start making changes to the rules within a subdivision but if they do that after you've already bought the place then chances are many of the new rules will not apply to you.
@rebelann Thank God for that.
Some homes we owned were brand new and others weren't. The home we are in now was built by the owner of a large lumber company for himself, and has the best of the best woodwork which is impossible to find in new homes now. We also put on a new addition. We love our home. It has five bedrooms! No grandfather clauses here.
That's a lot of square footage for 2 people, I hope you get help cleaning it.
@rebelann I do.
oh boy, i wish.... our house was old when we bought it. but not old in a good way... old in a "we can't afford anything else" way... blah
That can be a pain especially if you have to make a lot of repairs or renovations
I was not the first owner of my home.
Is your home really old?