How Do You Save Money?

@noni1959 (3736)
I don't mean with a savings account but with everyday uses and purchases. My oldest daughter does a lot of couponing; trading and clipping from a Sunday paper, but for what I buy, the online coupons are not worth printing using up ink and paper and I don't buy the paper. Once in awhile, mypoints has some good coupons I can clip and earn points for using them so it's worth a sheet or two. I occasionally receive some from pet food manufacturers, (Hills Science and Fancy Feast), and I do pawpoints to get free litter coupons. My nearest store is Safeway which is still a drive and I add Just-4-U savings to my phone number to save more. Some ways I stretch is utilizing the dollar store for some purchases but others need to be better quality so a known brand is better. I add water to my shampoo, measure conditioner, use clothes pods that are pre measured, (I buy what is on sale and can use the Safeway savings), and I buy cheap 12 roll toilet paper that's an off brand but just as soft as Northern. I want to make my own hummus but have yet to make it tasty enough. I refurnish good sturdy furniture pieces, (today finishing an old vintage end table with drawers and shelves), and I tear up my old towels into dust and varnish rags. All my pennies go into one jar and silver into another to save for trips. I usually make enough for a tank of gas and road food doing this. I have a keurig I love and buy coffee on sale but when it's too high, I buy ground and use a reusable. Recently, I purchased 80 pods for $21. I wish I bought more. I don't use the drip makers anymore since I waste some and it doesn't taste the same. Recently I did a survey and online forum with 20/20 and used the money to buy a Costco card to try out and buy a gift card to save for a birthday. I try to use my online extras like Swag and Mypoints for treats and birthdays. I use Hog Receipt and Ibotta but those take quite a while as well to add up since I don't purchase as much as a huge family. I'm looking for more ideas how to save more. How do you save?
The main spending I do is grocery. For me where I live, I use the Just4U app for Safeway...that saves me some money. I know Safeway is not everywhere though. They often have $5 off $25 spend and other things on the site.
@noni1959 (3736)
A couple weeks ago they had $10 off $50 (after discounts) and I took advantage of that. I can use my app in CA at VONS since they are the same. For some reason my app isn't showing the scan bar now and Safeway will have extra savings using it. No one answered my inquiry yet why it's missing. I receive a free items weekly but lately they are always out. I'm allowed to substitute with another at the same cost but the Chloe Pops I have on there for free now, I want to try. The manager said the warehouse only sends so much to certain stores and this Safeway is in a small town.
@noni1959 Well good you use it then..I don't have a smartphone so just add them on laptop and use them in store. Yes sometimes there are free items too, but they are often 'out of stock' apparently.
@noni1959 (3736)
@TiarasOceanView I talked to the manager after another freebie seemed to be undelivered to the store and he told me Safeway will substitute. I found another item near what would have been the price and got it.
• Walnut Creek, California
One way I save money is by having a hobby that pays. I restore stuff made of wood, including vintage loudspeakers. If someone pays me $120 to restore a pair of JBL L-100s, I don't buy anything. I put it in my savings account. I also buy basic stuff like shampoo and cleaners at the Dollar Store.
@noni1959 (3736)
I was thinking of trying a hobby that might pay. I can't restore for others but maybe I can come up with something I enjoy and do that for extra. I buy bleach at the dollar store. You have a good gift restoring vintage speakers.
• Walnut Creek, California
@noni1959 Some here at MyLot are artists. Other do cool arts and crafts.
@mandala100 (50705)
@noni1959 I always focus on all the necessary and essential goods rather than on luxury items.
@vsai2008 (9857)
That saves up more :) I try to do that too :)
@mandala100 (50705)
@vsai2008 That's quite true my friend.
@vsai2008 (9857)
I buy very little unless it is a need. I just do not spend much money at all if I don't have to.
@noni1959 (3736)
I'm buying less and less but lately with the changes in my eating I need to shop a bit more often for fresh. For material things I've been repurposing and refurbishing.
I don't save. I only use my debit care so I rarely have any change. I don't use coupons. Maybe some in store but that is all. I do work on several different sites and get gift cards and use those. That's about the only way for me to have extra.
@noni1959 (3736)
I do sites for gift cards. It's been hard to be on here to get those points that I need. I use my swag for my Starbucks fix. I'm Gold so get extra perks like free refills, more stars for free food and other challenges. I use Mypoints either for travel or Christmas. I've been doing Global surveys and so far getting more and more for $3 to $10 a month. My last with 20/20 got me $110. I used part of that for a Costco membership to see if I can get bulk items and save that way.
@noni1959 .....I have Swagbucks and am sure glad I do. I do some article writing too and that helps. I find that most surveys I don't qualify for so they are usually a waste of my time which is frustrating. I am on here mostly. It's been so hot I haven't felt like doing much lately. I hope to change that in the fall and winter.
@noni1959 (3736)
@celticeagle I live on a several acre ranch with my youngest, her husband and a grandchild and it seems I never have much time. I'm going to make changes even if it means I disappear to the library to have peace and write and comment on here. Some surveys I do I never seem to qualify so going to stop like esearch.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
You do a lot more things to save than I do. I do almost all my grocery shopping at Costco. They have good prices on gas as well. If you got the executive membership you get 2% back on everything you buy except gas, liquor and the food court. I think the most I got back was $120. Of course you can't use coupons you get out of the newspaper. Costco automatically figures in their own coupons so you don't need to take any coupons.The thing you need to be careful about is not to buy something you're not going to eat it all before it goes bad. There are some things I don't buy at Costco because of this. Most things sold at Costco are in cases or bulk (you can't buy just a can of soup–you have to buy a case). Of course big item such as televisions, refrigerators, washers etc., are not sold in bulk. I really like shopping at Costco even though it can be pretty crowded at times. I did read that a company was trying to figure out how to sell more shampoo. Then did it by adding one word to the directions–repeat. Then all shampoo companies started using it. I also here that store brand shampoo was just as good as the brand name shampoos.
@noni1959 (3736)
I just got a Costco membership. I haven't had one in years since I'm single but now that I'm living with my youngest and family it can come in good use for water, pickles, condiments, tuna and other goods. I'll be going in a week to start buying to load up for the eclipse. We are in the path and the stores around will be wiped out. I shop at Safeway using just4u and today I gassed up using my rewards from there and saved 60 cents on the gallon.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@noni1959 That's great. I understand we will be able to see the eclipse here in the Spokane area. This will be my second eclipse. I don't shop enough at Safeway to get any rewards. There used to be a Safeway across the street from an Albertsons That I used to shop at quite often but after Albertsons bought out Safeway they closed the Safeway.
I save all the money I find while going for a walk. I save all of my chang from stores and I puta certain per cent in my savings account each month.
@noni1959 (3736)
I used to find pennies and other coins when out walking and toss into a jar. I just found the jar and it has more pennies but I'm going to keep adding to it for a Christmas fund.
@CRK109 (14410)
I have yet to figure out a real way to save money. I am alone and I mostly buy store brands, so I never find coupons. Those items are already priced lower than other brands. But since I'm on a limited budget, I'm trying to find a way to stretch my money so I can have something left over. But that never happens. It's awful.
@noni1959 (3736)
I have times like this and it can be so hard. When I lived in CA I purchased quite a bit from the 99 cent store near my job. It has frozen and fresh vegetables. Our dollar store here in OR doesn't. Back the I could eat fairly well on $20 a week.
I do use quite a lot of coupons. Coupons.com is a site I print out from. Also the Kelloggs family rewards I earn points from uploading my receipts and I redeem them for coupons. The last couple months I've ordered online and some things are cheaper and some aren't. But it saves time and gas from going to the next town to Walmart.
@noni1959 (3736)
Do you find it still pays and saves printing coupons using ink and paper? In the past I've printed large savings coupons but never the buy two and get twenty five cents type.
@kobesbuddy (55669)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Basically, we stay at home a lot more, now that gas prices are pretty high. Watching a Hallmark movie is as much fun as going to a movie theater. Also we're maintaining one vehicle now, instead of owning two. Jay is our coupon clipper, from a Sunday Newspaper. as your daughter does also.
I am pretty much in your boat about savings. My gift giving comes from Swagbucks. My hardest month of the year is coming up, total lull in outside income until I go back to work at school, then that is still only once a month. Closest stores are ten miles away and then some. Even that is Dollar General. Hubby works in a larger town, but he is no source of savings.
@Juilee (497)
• Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Simple. Don't buy anything you don't need. Cook your own food instead of going out. Have a small side income so you have a little extra money in case you need to pay your bills.
@Lucky15 (33698)
buying what i only need. And be a wise buyer :)
We wrap quarters, but use the rest of the change. We use shop your way points at kmart to save on tp, paper towels, laundry soap, dishsoap, pet food and litter, air freshener, trash bags. Have online coupons and paper coupons that come in the mail for the grocery store.
@1creekgirl (12034)
You have lots of great ideas! Do you use Savings Catcher at Walmart? It's a free app and it gives you the difference between what you paid for something there and any difference that was found cheaper at another store. It's easier than ibotta, to me.
@sugartoes (42721)
• Greencastle, Indiana
the best way I save is I DON'T SPEND till I get a certain amount for what I need.
@alberello75 (18697)
• Genova, Italy
I would be able to save, buying in stores, not in malls, as my mother instead does!! In those big supermarkets, they are good to illude the customers to spend less. But then, at the checkout, the ticket is long, very long! My mother makes me damn, because she does not know how to save money!! Tell me: what I should do to make her understand?