Do animals understand different languages.

Roseburg, Oregon
I know this will sound strange. But if a dog is in Japan and the dog is sold to someone in another country. Will the dog understand the new owners because they do not speak that language. Will the dog knew its name in another language. Will any pet know what someone from another country is saying to it.
@owlwings (39769)
• Cambridge, England
Animals - dogs and cats, especially - read body language and facial expressions first and learn to understand and respond to tone of voice and then specific words. The actual language you are speaking is not nearly as important as body signals and tone of voice so, once he has learned to sit on command, it will take very little time for a dog to respond to the word for "Sit!" in Japanese, for example, if he is used to "Sit!" in English provided that it's accompanied by more or less the same tone of voice and gesture.
That does make a lot of sense.
@vandana7 (67722)
Does that mean a person who does not use too many facial vocal or hand expression will have difficulty in explaining things to dogs? What about folks who are paraplagic...or quadriplegic.
This is true provided the individuals the dog is exposed to uses body language, too often people do not and that can confuse a dog or cat or cow or ...... ok, I'll shutup now
I think it will take time, but yes, I think a dog or any animal could understand another language.
That is good.
That is indeed something to think about.
It is something to think about.
@WorDazza (10091)
• Manchester, England
I don't think dogs actually 'understand' language as such. It's all about repetition and consistency. You could use any word as a 'sit' command, even 'stand', and as long as you repeat it often enough and show the dog that it means 'sit' they will eventually sit when you say stand. I think that initially it won't understand if you change the language just like a dog probably wouldn't understand if someone changed a command word in the same language but they should soon pick up the new commands.
Will that makes sense.
@WorDazza (10091)
• Manchester, England
@jstory07 Blimey! It's not often someone says that about something I say!!
Dogs, cats and other animals do not understand languages, what they understand is a repetitive command. The cat of my neighbor "understand" both the commands given by his owner (in German) and his wife (in Italian).
When I had all four cats in the morning I would go into te kitchen and al four cats would go in there to and rub against my legs until I fed them. The same thing every morning. They would not eat for any one else.
@jstory07 The cat of my neighbor does the same, he want his first food in the morning from me. He waits for me on the doormat, when I open he comes inside rubs against my legs purring and after I pat him a few times he starts to eat.
@sugartoes (42722)
• Greencastle, Indiana
depending on how old it is & the NEW owner has patients to teach the dog it will take time but it can be taught.
That makes sense.
I think dogs are smart, so they know the body languages of people. No wonder they become man's best friend.
Yes dogs do understand their owners and they are man's best friends.
Yes they do
Than the animals in many ways are smarter than humans.
@jstory07 I believe they really are Judy.
The dog needs to learn the foreign language if it lives in a new country. Some time ago an American born Panda called Bao Bao was back to China. She has to adjust to many things, such as the new environment, diet and even language. As she doesn't understand Chinese since she was born in USA.
Is the Panda doing good now?
@jstory07 I hope so. Pandas are precious animals and I think they are treated better than other animals.
@BettyB (4209)
• Summerville, South Carolina
They may not understand at first but most are fast learners. They tend to learn the words dinner, walk, and out fairly fast no matter the language.
Yes that does seem to be true.
• Bangalore, India
They might be taught and hope they understands it
From everyone responds they adapt and catch on.
@cahaya1983 (10038)
Oh it would be so interesting to know wouldn't it? I think it's possible for them to adjust after some time.
Yes I am sure they adjust.
Yes, they do understand whatever language their owners speak and will not know the language of someone using a different language. Although they do read body language they will not know basic commands if you say them in a language they were not trained with.
That would make sense.
@akp100 (13325)
Ha ha.. That's really strange question and I never came up with it so far. But quite interesting in the end. lol. I am not sure about language but somehow they will understand sign or emotions I guess.
I think they understand you doing the same thing every day.
@vandana7 (67722)
I think they need minimum understanding. They are oriented towards their goal of good meals just like we are oriented towards our goals of monthly income. lol. We learn they learn...they don't have to learn calculus for those foamy baths...they don't have to cook...they don't have to fear divorce, or fight with relatives...all is well...as long as they get food, bath, place to sleep which is warm in winters, and cool in summers...and love as bonus.
So when they get what they need they would know they are loved.
Dogs and, cats can learn and, understand any language.
The language of love works the best.
To be honest I think the answer is no. The reason for tat isbecause we have no idea where patches came from. When she arrived her paper work said her name was mistic. I called her patches from day one. I found that paper a few days later. for a while she would not come when I called her. A few days later she began to know her name. Now when we call patches she comes. She had to learn it once getting to know us.
So they would learn from you saying it over and over in any language.
Perhaps they might understand some words ? That is really food for thought.
I think this is an interesting question that brought forth an interesting conversation glad you started it! I never would have thought of a question like this?!
@alberello75 (18696)
• Genova, Italy
Yes, I believe that pets, recognize the tone of the voice and also the "cadenza" in talking, that also varies between the regions and the cities from the same State.