Are you sure you are a teacher?

Peoria, Arizona
My boyfriend just started his english 101 class yesterday. His first assignment was to write 1 paragraph for a narrative essay. He got it back and he was docked points for showing feeling in a narrative essay. I...I'm sorry, but professor, do you even know what a narrative essay is? A narrative essay is a narration of a personal event/story. It is not telling a story, but showing a moral within a story in an essay format. I would know...I have written many narrative essays. So he was working on it and he showed me the instructions. Which were not even instructions. First off, they were written terribly because the teacher goes in the first sentence, "After you write your 1 paragraph, turn it into an essay." Like...what? You don't open your paragraph with, "After," also, you didn't even explain how to write a narrative essay! English 101 is introduction to English. Colleges created English 101 because people of all ages go to college and will forget what they have learned in freshman year in high school. It is basically a refresher. They do that with math and science as well. All the core classes. This professor apparently has an doctorate and wants to be addressed by "Dr. (name here)" but clearly she doesn't have her degree in English. She isn't even teaching. She is just telling students want to do. Gilbert sent over the final that they are to do and they are supposed to pick 1 out of 4 of the essays they will be working on in the month and they said that the compare and contrast essays are not full fledge essays. What on EARTH is considered a full fledge essay? compare and contrast essays are essays, why do you think they are called essays? They can easily make it to the 8 pages that is requested. I don't get it. I feel bad for Gilbert, this class sounds like a pain. My entire college experience was basically a giant English class because I got my degree in Creative Writing. I told Gilbert that I would help edit his writing just to keep some of the stress off of him.
I hate English during my school days. Some professors are all-knowing.
• Peoria, Arizona
I loved english haha but some professors are just awful haha
@DesirousDreamer During my school days, my English teachers are not good in their pronunciation of words.That's the reason why I need to have self-taught in learning the right enunciation and pronunciation of English words.
• Peoria, Arizona
@Shavkat That can happen. Sometimes teaching yourself can be more beneficial.
I never did care for English class. Though I believe it was more because my teacher was rude and not teaching much.. Glad he has you to help
• Peoria, Arizona
English class was my best, no wonderful I got my degree in Creative Writing haha but sometimes the teachers are very unbearable. I know I had a few.
100 level classes are not refresher courses. I'd be pissed if I paid good money for a refresher class of something I learned in high school.
• Peoria, Arizona
English 101, College Algebra, Science, and History 101 are mostly refresher courses. At least they are for over here. The first half you get a refresher of stuff you did in high school and the second is learning some new stuff.
@DesirousDreamer Certainly not where I went.
• Peoria, Arizona
@NJChicaa Well I am not sure if you went to any West coast colleges, but they are all like that over here.
@Sreekala (22720)
He can learn through internet rather than depending a teacher who does not know how to teach. If you can help then it will be easy for him.
• Peoria, Arizona
Well, sadly, when you are in college, you have to depend on your professor because some are so strict.
I always hated English class.
• Peoria, Arizona
I liked English, it was one of my best classes haha
• Pamplona, Spain
Its not fair just not fair. Is there no other Teacher he can take the Exam with again just wondering? Terrible Teacher for the want of a better word.
• Peoria, Arizona
Nope, since it is an online class, you really get no choice.
• Pamplona, Spain
@DesirousDreamer Its an online class? So how did it all end? Did he get through or does he have to start all over again or what?
• Peoria, Arizona
@lovinangelsinstead21 It is online and the class just started.