I hate to ask but I need to.

If you break a glass in your home where do you put the broken glass? The reason I am asking is that we have a recycle here. When kay broke a glass she put it in the garbage can. I did not know and wentto dump it out. I cut my leg that day. Today I was listening to my aide sweep broken glass. Something said check where she put that. Would you believe the broken bottom to the bottle was sitting on on the edge o the can.. I said excuse me let me get that out of there. She said she does not know where to put it. I never put broken glass in a garbage can I would put it in an empty boxe first. That is danger t it's finest.
We have a recycling dumpster out here in the complex for glass and so on.
@shikharava (1851)
I don't throw it away as it may harm the handlers. I carefully pick up all the pieces using a rubber glove and wrap a lot of newspapers around and dump it at the back of my house where no one would take it out again. That's what I do.
@prashu228 (25504)
I keep it in the trash bag and handover to the garbage collector, they come every day to collect the garbage
That is good for your area.
• Reading, England
I don't know the official line. The way I look at it is broken glass is dangerous so you need to think a garbage man or recycle man may (but shouldn't) put his hand onto it or if you have it outside an animal or child may touch it. As it could be a safety issue I would wrap it up in thick newspaper to make it as safe as possible and put it in the garbage. I don't know the official line though.
that is true about animals for sure.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
The only way that is dangerous is odd whoever takes the trash out isn't paying Attention
That is crazy to me I think glass should be recycled. When I take out the garbage the last thing on my mind is being careful not to get cut. I think I might be the crazy one then.
@sabtraversa (13331)
We keep glass in a bucket, so when it's almost full we go to the glass dumpster for emptying it. Glass shouldn't go into an ordinary garbage can, especially if broken.
That is what I would think too. I keep telling my daughter that and it's a good thing I caught it today with my aide. I could do real damage with that bottle.
@alberello75 (18683)
• Genova, Italy
This reminds an episode that happened to me twice. Even in Italy we have the "separate collection". Paper, glass, plastic and cans. In my city (Genova) Container for glass = green color Plastic container and cans = yellow color In Piombino, (Toscana, other region of Italy) the colors are exactly INVERTED !! So I, twice, wrongly put glass jars in the green box, destined for plastic collection !! A real danger to the workmen !! I'm sorry!
@Genipher (5146)
We used to have a bin for glass and it was picked up weekly. Then, all of a sudden, they stopped picking it up...not sure why. So now we put glass--broken or no--in the can. Our garbage guys never touch the cans--the garbage truck lifts the cans and dumps the bags. If we have broken glass I just make sure the kids and hubby know so they're more careful when they take the bag to the can.
I just put it in the garbage can but make sure that it is toward the center not the edge.
Since we only have a trash bucket in our house, ans the dumpster is right out back, we've always put it in the trash then took it to the dumpster. But maybe your situation is different?
I often wondered where to put broken plates. I once broke a plate and put it in the garbage in a couple of plastic grocery bags. The pieces were not as sharp that way I don't use glasses as I drink everything in a coffee mug. Everything except coffee ;=)