What A Scare I Had The Other Night

The other night as always, I rode a pedicab going to the subdivision where we live. The driver was small and thin. I noticed that he had a shirt that covered his head and it flows into his neck. As it was already moving, he put up the rest of his shirt with his eyes only showing like those robbers with bonnets. He was pedaling his pedicab so slow and would every now and then, he would look at me inside. I was suspicious. So when we were inside the subdivision already and saw an approaching pedicab, I told him to stop and paid him. He was angry. I hailed the approaching pedicab and I told the driver about him. He said that he was drunk. But I thought otherwise. I know, he will rob me as it approaches a place where it is dark. I readied my umbrella and planned to hit him with the hard handle if ever he attempts. But good thing, the other pedicab was approaching. Have you ever been in such a scary situation like this? Note: Image of a pedicab is from google
Pedicabs are not popular here, just in downtown area for joy rides. But I am glad you followed your instance. That can be dangerous, I would invest in a pepper spray just encase. Glad you were home safely.
So really you also have pedicabs there, in your place in the US. WOw, I thought third world countries like us have them. Yes,I followed my instinct and thought ahead of what I should do just in case. Then, I asked for my guardian angel's help. Hubby said I should buy that. Thank you.
@SIMPLYD Not the same pedicab but where you sit behind them and the bike is infront. They are some in downtown area. Yes it important to be alert and follow our instances. You should have some sort protection with you especially going home at night
@infatuatedbby Oh, I see. It's different from that picture I attached. Just like a rickshaw? Yes, I am going to scout for a pepper spray.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Wow, interesting story! I'm glad you switched cabs. I've never had an experience quite like that. In Chicago, teens would jump is and try to take our money or bicycles, but most of them weren't armed, so I fought back and discouraged them.
Thank you. I have never experienced it actually ever in my life. Though I have heard of news like this, so I know what to do. Really, teenagers would do that and you fought them back. How courageous of you! I think if that happened to me, I will just let them have my bicycle. Yes, I switched cabs and the pedicab looks like that in the picture. So easy to get out and jump especially that it was so slow.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@SIMPLYD Did he not know that hiding his identity would be suspicious?
@TheHorse Actually, I was in a hurry so I though the shirt on his head is just that. Though, I noticed that some of them would indeed be like that even when they are waiting for passengers- hooded. I don't ride on them. This they do when there are no more policemen in the area and that is at night. Maybe I should report this thing that some are doing.
It is better to be safe than sorry.
Yes, that is true. And it's better to be prepared for the worst.
You made me laugh so hard. Oh your fear is not funny. I think he was drunk like the other driver said.
I realized after that , that he is indeed drunk. But the fact that he covered his face with his eyes the only ones showing, I got scared and imagined him going to rob me. Actually the pedicab drivers are kind people and they know me already as they always would be the ones I ride with. However, this guy was first in line. Though sometimes I always choose who to ride. But not that time though. Bad timing.
@sunrisefan (16606)
Next time, bring along a pepper spray :)
Yes, I will be buying one. Besides, I will choose the driver again. I always choose those drivers who usually would take me home. But that night, I was stupid to take that ride.
@sunrisefan (16606)
@SIMPLYD Maybe your husband should fetch you again, Anyway, he's retired already.
@sunrisefan Oh no. He is at home cooking lunch and dinner while he doesn't have a job. So I want him to also take some rest and not fetch me anymore. I admire him for that. And while he is awaiting the interview from his former company, I like him to cook dinner so we will always have a delicious one. He cooks deliciously. But tonight, we will watch a concert by Kokoi Baldo, the contestatnt from Boracay at the one of the season of Voice. We will have dinner first at an" eat all you can", he and auntie have discovered last week.
@kiran8 (14239)
• Mangalore, India
That must have been scary but thankfully you got another cab. I once had a bad experience when I reached Bangalore after a bus journey late at night. The auto I took after that to reach home , did not take the normal route instead took a very round about route and when I asked him, he stopped the auto and said I could walk..so, I told him to take me home and I would pay whatever he wanted. He did and charged me double the normal amount, but at least I reached home safely.
I would be scared too if the driver does that. It's obvious he wants the taxi meter to have more so he did that. Why didn't you change cab then? He could be planning to rob you too.
@kiran8 (14239)
• Mangalore, India
@SIMPLYD Ideally I should have taken another cab but it was nearly 10 pm and there were hardly any cabs around and knowing this he was out to make some extra money. But I noted down the registration number of his vehicle and lodged a complaint. They would have at least warned him.
@kiran8 It's good that it was only like that he did. So you filed a complaint. That's good.
@velvet53 (14994)
• Palisade, Colorado
That had to of been scary. It is a good thing that you trusted your feelings and got out.
Yes. it was scary, but good thing I didn't panic and was so alert. The other pedicab driver was my saving angel too.
@velvet53 (14994)
• Palisade, Colorado
@SIMPLYD You did the right thing. Yes, the other driver was your saving angel.
Glad to hear everything turned out alright my friend.
Yes, I am so thankful everything turned out alright. Thank you, my friend.
@Neiltarquin (1120)
• Rass, Saudi Arabia
Call the attention of you Baranggay officials about that. They should have a regulations for that. If there is an attempt for such deed, surely there will be another time that it will happen again. Prevention is better than cure.
I am at a loss indeed to whom I should complain since it was already past how many days. Maybe I should first talk to the one managing the pedicab line. Though, at night, he isn't there anymore. So, I better go there on daytime. Also maybe I should tell the police on duty when I go there. There's a policeman that really watches them, during the daytime so they will not go the prohibited areas. Actually, their line is a prohibited area. But since it is already evening, the police and the team leader aren't there anymore.
• Rass, Saudi Arabia
@SIMPLYD if that would happen to me or my family I'd go to the baranggay captain's desk immediately to report the incedent. Next is I'll talk to the home owners association of my village to inform them that situation. I'll make sure that one of them should take action about this. Sad thing about this one is, the local police will give little attention to this. They would act to it if there is already a victim complaining.
@Neiltarquin You are correct. That should be the case. However, it seems that our barangay captain won't even try to give attention, as she cannot even solve the problem of the garbage thrown just outside the road of some parts of the subdivision, because our town's landfill was closed. But I will try to report it to the police or to the team leader one of these days.
@gilggg (2639)
• Israel
I am glad you to hear that after all you got home safe. I didn't been in a situation like that....
Yes, thankfully I was safely home. When I told my hubby and the rest of the family, they were relieved nothing happened to me. So, they want me to buy a pepper spray. Actually, this is the first time this happened to me. I know, my guardian angel sent the approaching pedicab as it suddenly appeared.
@gilggg (2639)
• Israel
@SIMPLYD That's a good idea that you will have pepper spary for your own safty
@gilggg Yes, I will buy that. I hope it isn't so expensive.
@MarymargII (7721)
• Toronto, Ontario
That was good thinking and fast thinking- That's what you have to do to survive these days. Thank God it worked out well :0
Thank you. Indeed, I always think of the worst, so I will be prepared just in case he attacks in this case. Well, I prayed hard and called on God and my guardian angel. The approaching pedicab was sent to me as rescue actually, as I pondered on it afterwards. I thanked Godand my angel Uriel, profusely
• Toronto, Ontario
@SIMPLYD So true- it was and that's how God works!
@mandala100 (23912)
@SIMPLYD It's good that you are so alert my friend.
Yes. I am always suspicious of people I am with on jeepneys, on roads while walking and even in pedicabs. And this one driver fooled me into riding on his pedicab.
@mandala100 (23912)
@SIMPLYD I'm glad that it was a lucky ending.
@mandala100 Yes, I am so thankful for that. It's my angel who sent the approaching pedicab.
@YrNemo (4071)
That 'pedicab' looks interesting. I have never seen one in real life before, not even from movies. Could drivers of some pedicabs really rob their clients? Glad that nothing happened to you.
Actually, we haven't heard of pedicabs who rob their passengers. Though, it was just my thought that he would rob me because he was driving so slow and keeps looking at me inside. So, that was my suspicion. He was drunk after all.
@YrNemo (4071)
@SIMPLYD Guess you were on the attractive side and dressed well too?
@YrNemo Despite my advanced age, I am.
@LeaPea2417 (12783)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Oh goodness, no, I have not been in that kind of situation and hope it never happens to me. I am very glad you are ok! That is scary!
I think there in your country you don't have drivers who drink and drive. Although here, drivers are apprehended too when they drink and drive. Though for pedicabs, they aren't strict.
@LeaPea2417 (12783)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@SIMPLYD It is a big problem here with drinking and driving. Luckily, those caught are arrested.
@LeaPea2417 I hope they are like your authorities there. Strict.
I never tried this kind of situation. I think I will ask to stop and jump out from the pedicab.
Actually, I hated myself for not stopping him when he took his shirt down to cover his mouth and expose only the eyes. I actually don't ride those with that, However, this one fooled me, because he took the shirt down to his mouth while we were already traveling.
@SIMPLYD That's really not good. It is best to let him stop and jump into another pedicab. We can never tell that runs into the minds of this kind of people.
@Shavkat I should have done that the moment he put his shirt over his mouth.
@salonga (27838)
Good thing nothing bad happened to you.
Yes, my friend. Actually, the approaching pedicab driver was what my angel sent me as help.
@salonga (27838)
@SIMPLYD He came at the right time.
@salonga Yes ! He's an angel in disguise.
@ridingbet (33426)
good you had the quick mind to shift transportation, my lady. nowadays, we have to be vigilant and suspicious of anybody we come in contact with, especially those who are not known to us.
Yes, that is true. I am always suspicious of people specially those drivers at night. So far, this drunk driver scared me, though I am glad I didn't panic but readied myself. You know, I was thinking my angel Uriel, saved me through that approaching pedicab.
@ridingbet (33426)
@SIMPLYD yes that other pedicab driver was indeed your angel in disguise.
wow, can ya report such there'n yer neck 'f the woods? i've been'n some uncomfy situations a plenty back'n the day. now i'm 'well seasoned' 'n broken, not so much, lol.
I want to. However, it was already evening and I was anyway, not harmed. But I would like to report that there are drivers who drive their pedicabs, drunk.
@SIMPLYD i hope that'cha do report this fella, hon. ya weren't harmed, the next passenger might'n't be so lucky.
@crazyhorseladycx I just didn't have the time though. I am looking for their team leader, but then it's always at night that I get to ride from the office these pedicabs.
@Bensen32 (200)
I never heard of a pedicab but then again I'm from USA. I'm glad you had a photo of one. Yea, I think I would have gotten out of that ride too. Glad your ok and everything worked out ok for you.
Actually, a pedicab is so nice to ride. You are tired so riding in this makes you refreshed as it is open and the breeze or wind touches your face as it travels slowly into the subdivision. These kind of transportation are only available in places with compounds and subdivisions where no public transport comes in, but only in highways.
@Bensen32 (200)
@SIMPLYD It seems like in most cases it would be quite relaxing as long as the driver isn't trying to rob you.
@Bensen32 Indeed, it is quite relaxing to ride a pedicab.
@spaceseed (2930)
we here in india call them rickshaw. the difference is peddler is in front not on side.
Yes, I know that rickshaw as a version of this. But does your rickshaws operate until evening too?
@spaceseed (2930)
@SIMPLYD they do, and safety problems are here too. I mean your fear wasn't wrong
@spaceseed Thank you for understanding.