Got some fresh prawns after a long time ..

@kiran8 (15361)
Mangalore, India
We have not had prawns, crabs or large sea fish since a long time now , ever since the onset of Monsoons in early June. This is because the fishing trawlers that go for deep sea fishing , don't get any insurance coverage for three months June/July and August because of the stormy weather. Smaller boats get some catch in the backwaters . So , today when our regular fish merchant called me in the morning to inform that he had large white prawns , a small quantity , very expensive - I went ahead and placed an order requesting him to deliver some for me as well. The poor Fisher folks must have taken a risk and gone out to the sea taking advantage of the clear weather we had yesterday. The prawns were delicious, very fresh ,large and well worth the price . I made butter garlic prawns and marinated a few for making prawn pulao during the weekend .. Do you like prawns? Any favorite dish ?
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I will be getting shrimp this weekend for the other halfs birthday.
@kiran8 (15361)
• Mangalore, India
How do you normally cook shrimps ? It tastes good anyway you do
@Nawsheen (22942)
• Mauritius
This dish looks delicious for sure. I like eating prawns too. I really like crevette panee as shown in the picture.
@louievill (18123)
This is similar to the Japanese tempura and the Filipino " camaron rebosado"
@Nawsheen (22942)
• Mauritius
@louievill okay. It's so good to have especially as starters
@louievill (18123)
@Nawsheen Filipinos would eat it even as main dish and as usual with rice most would enjoy it with any kind of dip including ketchup, sweet and sour sauce etc...
I love prawns they are among my favorite dishes. Butter garlic prawns are delicious, served with steamed rice.
@SonjaRae (4895)
Yummy!!!! Calling Anna now..."I'd like to place a Delivery Order please."
@SonjaRae I love shrimps, even fried coconut shrimps are very good.
@kiran8 (15361)
• Mangalore, India
@LadyDuck Yes shrimps and prawns are both great tasting .. Garlic, coconut and chilies and lime juice enhances the taste
@hereandthere (28908)
my mother said the same thing about rain and limited (and expensive) seafood, but you're right. sometimes it's well worth the price.
@kiran8 (15361)
• Mangalore, India
Yes during monsoons it is dangerous to take fishing boat for deep sea fishing , so we have to make do with whatever is available closer to land like Mackerel, sardines and fresh water fish..
@kiran8 my parents craved saltwater first now and then because they grew up in the province, because here in the capital what's common are tilapia and bangus (milkfish). then we began to like canned mackerel because it's tastier and more versatile than plain canned tuna.
@kiran8 (15361)
• Mangalore, India
@hereandthere I too like Mackerel , it is available in plenty all through the year and very tasty , especially when it is marinated in chillies,garlic and vinegar paste and shallow fried.
@vsai2008 (7667)
I never had prawns but your picture sure made me hungry as I didn't have my dinner yet LOL Good night, sleep tight :)
@kiran8 (15361)
• Mangalore, India
Are you a vegetarian ? Prawns are probably the tastiest of all sea food and very versatile too because it can be cooked in many ways and is suitable to all kinds of cuisine.
@vsai2008 (7667)
@kiran8 I am a non-vegetarian but never tried them, maybe in future :)
@kiran8 (15361)
• Mangalore, India
@vsai2008 So you must have eaten fish at least ..
@nomus24g (21505)
Could u message me your address...I might join u for the dinner..its yum!!
@kiran8 (15361)
• Mangalore, India
Please do so, you will have to come to mangalore
@nomus24g (21505)
@kiran8 hmmm...then let me carry good stock of crabs n prawns with me
@kiran8 (15361)
• Mangalore, India
@nomus24g Plenty of sea food here ...
@SonjaRae (4895)
That looks delicious! Love seafood!
@kiran8 (15361)
• Mangalore, India
I too love sea food , can have it every single day
@SonjaRae (4895)
@kiran8 Oh me too!!!
@louievill (18123)
OMG you are making me hungryOur butter garlic is called lemon butter sauce because besides garlic we add a dash of our native lemon and a few drops of hot sauce like tabasco.
@kiran8 (15361)
• Mangalore, India
I too add lemonn juice. In fact I marinate the prawns in lime juice,salt, pepper and turmeric powder.
@louievill (18123)
@kiran8 yes that the way to do it, and sometimes we also add the spice in the flour batter mixture if we eat breaded shrimps.
@kepweng (11344)
wow looks delicious is these a Spicy prawns?
@kiran8 (15361)
• Mangalore, India
It is not too spicy , you can add more pepper or green chilies if you want to make it spicy
@rubyriaz007 (3063)
Yes I like prawns very much, I have not had crabs,and I don't know to eat it. My mom prepares prawns roast,she fries prawns. We don't buy it everytime ,since it is very expensive.. We buy only big prawns.. Prawns roast is more tastier than fry...
@kiran8 (15361)
• Mangalore, India
I too make masala prawn roast, tastes yummy , now is the time for prawns , soon after monsoons. I bought some tiger prawns yesterday . I make a marinade with salt ,pepper,turmeric,lemon juice and garlic paste and mix in the prawns. You can steam it , add to gravy or make pulao ...
@silvermist (19887)
Do I like prawns?I love them .But I love spicy fried prawns best.That is a Kerala special.
@kiran8 (15361)
• Mangalore, India
Kerala cuisine has some awesome seafood preparations , I love them all ..
@Tracy04 (10575)
I'm allergic to seafood, so my favourite dish is.... Well I'm sure there's more than one..
@kiran8 (15361)
• Mangalore, India
I too have heard that many people are allergic to seafood especially prawns...
Yes , but I call them shrimps.
@kiran8 (15361)
• Mangalore, India
We call the smaller ones shrimps and the larger ones prawns..
@prashu228 (25814)
Yes I like prawns, I like any dish made with prawns .
@kiran8 (15361)
• Mangalore, India
Same with me and my family ..