Messy bed or made bed?

South Africa
"Get up and make your bed!" was heard from my mother growing up and a neatly made bed was the sign of a neat and organised person. I have a sort of pride when I come home from work and see I have made my bed that day. I assumed most people like to climb into a made bed. THEN I met a man who HATED a made bed. He loved to come home and crawl into his dishevelled little nest each night. It was homely - it was his. It would take him about 15 minutes to get his bed 'right' if he stayed in a hotel or boarding house. So what do you prefer - made bed or messy bed (messy NOT dirty)? Are we wasting our time making our beds each day?
@Bensen32 (728)
As a kid my bed was a mess, now I make the bad every morning, I guess I can thank the Marine Corps for that habit.
• South Africa
Yes but which do you prefer? The ironing board perfectly made bed or the cosy jumble of duvets, cushion and throw?
@Bensen32 (728)
@QuantumJoy I guess the made bad, it looks nicer when it is made. As for sleeping I could careless I could sleep on the floor and it would be all the same to me LOL.
Made too be honest I just can't handle it messy.
I honestly don't see the point of making my bed. No one is going to see my room or bed other than me and all I am going to do is get back into it at night and mess it up again. I also find it more comfortable if the bed is messy and not all neat. My grandmother was the kind of person that once the bed was made you weren't allowed to touch it until it was time to go to bed again. If you did she would make you remake the entire bed again. If it is all made up and neat I feel like I'm not supposed to be in it and I shouldn't feel that way in my own bed. Sometimes I will make it and sometimes I want. I also clean rented houses for a living and make a lot of beds so I don't really want to come home and have to do it also when it isn't that big of a deal if it isn't made.
@vsai2008 (9857)
My bed is messy and my mom is always after me for that Sometimes I listen to her, sometimes I don't I like my bed however it is LOL
@velvet53 (17402)
• Palisade, Colorado
I like a made bed. It jut takes a couple of minutes to make it. I like having my bed made so that if company comes by then I am not embarrassed by having an unmade bed. I heard those same words too. My dad was the strict one when it came to a bed being made right. If it didn't pass his inspection he would mess it up and we would have to remake it.
• South Africa
If you were 100% sure that no-one would see your bed and you could forget your strict dad THEN would you be willing to leave your bed unmade? What makes you feel like sleeping more, a ironing board neat bed or a rumpled little 'nest'?
@velvet53 (17402)
• Palisade, Colorado
@QuantumJoy Oh I don't make my bed like he had us do. I just tighten the sheet some and pull the covers up so they look neat. I don't even tuck the covers under the pillow.
• South Africa
@velvet53 Ah! A 'relaxed' made bed -not marine style. Good compromise.
I think making my bed is a waste of time...and no I'm not joking. Lol. I have enough tedious things to do every day so I prefer to crawl into my bed that is ready to sleep in each night.
• South Africa
Sometimes life just seems to short to make a bed!
@QuantumJoy Exactly!!
• South Africa
Agreed - I think the solution would be a Murphy bed that you roll or fold into a cupboard. I also saw a very good idea where the bed was on pulleys and you hoisted it up to the ceiling during the day - it was a space saving solution but it would work for a messy bed too - no one would see it up there!
• Uzbekistan
I make my bed. It doesn't take much time.
• South Africa
MostlydaysI make my bed except I have a house rule that 'no bed can be made with a cat on it'. Never disturb a sleeping cat. I have a king size bed with just me sleeping in it but I must be very restless at night because when I wake up it looks as though there has been a wrestling match during the night - strange because I always sleep peacefully. Do you sleep neatly and tidily or do you go crazy like me at night?
• Uzbekistan
@QuantumJoy I don't move much.
• South Africa
That is why making your bed is so quick? My bed is complex with a duvet and many throws, pillows of different sizes, sometimes water bottles too. After a night of rolling about - its takes a good few moments to sort it all out! Summer is easy - no blankets, duvets or throws! Oh and I read a lot, many books at one time - so there may be a book in the mix too!
@redurnet (1588)
I like to make my bed but not be to too fussy about how neat it looks. I just like to be able to get into a bed quickly at night time when I'm weary without having to rearrange all of the sheets.
• Beijing, China
I prefer made bed,I think neat and order is a good live habit
@Genipher (5146)
As the old saying goes...If you don't make your bed, how can you lie in it?
@mandala100 (50437)
It's good to have order and I always prefer a made bed.