How much can money really buy?

@CRK109 (14351)
I was at the shelter yesterday, visiting my little kitten for play time. While there, a man and his son came in to look at all the cats/kittens up for adoption. He asked about a specific cat and one of the officers brought the cat out for him. It's at least part Persian, although the man kept insisting it was a purebred (could be). Then he spotted one of the cat's kittens, and he went crazy. While the officer was out of the room, he removed the kitten from her cage (a definite no-no), took pictures of her and called his wife to come in. I put my kitten back into his cage since the man had the mother cat and kitten loose at the same time. Not a great idea for my little guy and I was there to protect him. The man's wife arrived and fell in love with the kitten. The man, his wife and their child kept telling anyone who would listen that they have a purebred Persian cat at home that they bought for $1,000. Now they had a chance to get the mother cat and/or the kitten for less than $100. And that's all they talked about - the money. When they were told that the kitten was already spoken for, they insisted that since they already have a Persian at home (for which they paid $1,000), they should get the kitten. They were told to fill out applications for which ever cat/kitten they wanted and their application would be reviewed. The husband hated the idea of filling out information but the wife left the room and filled out 2 applications, in hopes that no one else would get the kitten. No matter who else came into that room, these three people monopolized everything. I sat in a corner, near my kitten's cage, waiting for the hysteria to die down so I could play with him some more. But my ride arrived before they ever stopped, so I just left. It amazed me that those people thought, somehow, that their money could take a kitten away from someone who had requested the kitten first, and that, just because they have a purebred cat at home already, that means they can take whatever they want. Their child has already learned, at the age of 7 or 8, that telling people how much you pay for everything is the way to go in life. It's just too sad. At least to me. Can money really buy you everything in life? I was very comfortable in my life until breast cancer came along and broke the bank. I don't think those people would ever be able to handle a situation like that. Claudia
There are many things that money can't buy and things that all the money in the world can't rid you of - like certain illnesses.
But having wealth means you can fight illness with the best healthcare possible which most people do not enjoy. Money may not beat cancer but gives one more of a fighting chance.
@garymarsh6 (12183)
Money is not the answer to everything and something that people really despise is people boasting about how much things cost. They might have money but they have no class.
That's one thing money absolute can never buy is class and the poorest person can have class.
@CRK109 (14351)
Yes, I agree, Gary. Everyone at the shelter was doing their best to help these people until they began bragging about their money and picking up that little kitten and insisting they should have it, even though someone else already spoke for it. Gradually, everyone in the shelter just backed away from them And they never even noticed lol
One I'm sorry you had cancer. Two no it can't. Three, i totally agree with you. And its disgusting that they think thats okay.
@CRK109 (14351)
I learned so much through my battle with cancer. I was blessed to have had my husband by my side during that horrible time. xoxoxo
@CRK109 aw. Xo
Very sad and rude. I really don't care for people like that. Money is not everything.
@CRK109 (14351)
I look at my niece who is a doctor and makes good money. But she never flaunts it in anyone's face. She's kind and loving and generous. She would have been appalled at the shelter, as I was!
• Marion, Kansas
A bit of hardship increases our appreciation, and I agree, some people would just crumble. It was annoying I am sure. I am glad your kitten has you.
@CRK109 (14351)
Even when I had money, I never flaunted it in people's faces like that. I guess I was raised differently. I tried very hard to be helpful to them with the mother cat and the kitten, but all they wanted was to get what they wanted because of who they are. That's when I moved to the corner and just watched it play out.
That is so sad.
@CRK109 (14351)
I know, right???
@KristenH (20489)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Geesh. Whatever happened to first come, first serve? Hope you land the kitten to keep.
That's what I thought.
@KristenH (20489)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@JohnRoberts Great minds think alike, John.
@CRK109 (14351)
Obviously, they don't care about that I'm very surprised they didn't ask who was getting the kitten so they could try to buy it from them!
• Denmark
Silly people. What you've written about their child learning how to behave is sad but probably true.
@CRK109 (14351)
As new people would walk into the room, the child would tell them how they wanted the kitten and they paid $1000 for their Persian cat at home. And people looked at that child as if he had two heads! To the parents, that was pefectly normal. ugh.
well said there Claudia.Good post.
@CRK109 (14351)
thanks so much! I consider that high praise coming from you, dear friend!
@Platespinner (18577)
If anyone thinks money buys happiness they should spend a few minutes reading about the current round of celebrities.lots of money often comes with more headaches than l want to deal with.
@CRK109 (14351)
That is so true. I keep hearing about house burglaries in Beverly Hills. Someone is taking off with all of their jewelry and whatever money is in the house!
Some people think money buys everything and it does not When do you get to take your kitten home.
@CRK109 (14351)
I don't know. He's eating but not gaining weight. I've emailed them to see if we can have a vet evaluate him but I haven't heard back yet
While it's true money can't everything certainly not health but it makes life a heck of a lot easier and provide the means of fighting disease at the highest level.
@CRK109 (14351)
I suppose that's true. There was a time in my life where I was much more than comfortable, but I certainly never threw it in anyone's face like this. And now that I have nothing, I know the struggles of life and I appreciate that I'm still standing and fighting the good fight. And I appreciate every little thing that I have rather than squabble about something someone else has.
As you say, they are certainly setting a very bad example to the child. Unfortunately there are some people who believe money will buy them what they want,
@CRK109 (14351)
I wonder what life has in store for them. I know that everyone gets dealt some bad deals in life and I'm not quite sure these people are equipped. I have a feeling they will find a way to blame someone else should something bad happen.