Vacation

Winston Salem, North Carolina
In the last seven days my husband, myself and our youngest child drove over 1500 miles and visited another country. We spent time in five different states and one province. We saw three of North America’s Great Lakes and spent some time sailing on one of them (and swimming in it as well). We spent time with family members from six different households and spent four nights on cots in a tent. We visited two museums, walked three trails, rode our bicycles and sat on a beach to watch the sunset four nights in a row. We skipped rocks, gathered colourful stones and flicked an embarrassaing number of tiny pebbles at each other, just because. We also managed to finish one nineteen-and-a-half hour audio book. It was a good vacation, but I think I’m going to enjoy sleeping in my own bed, in my air conditioned bedroom tonight without having to worry that the Canadian airforce (in the form of mosquitoes, deer flies and other biting insects) will carry me off into the woods. Do you relax when you go on vacation, or is your family like mine in the attempt to squeeze in as much fun activity as possible out of time away from home?
I am glad you enjoyed your vacation so much! It is great you got to do so much! i don't think I could manage to fit as much into a vacation you did! What book did you manage to finish in audio? Glad you kept up the books even though you were on vacation. I never get to listen to the audio books i download from the E-library! I have to work harder on that! Glad you got to see family! I am sure it must be nice to see those you love on vacation! hope you have a nice weekend at home in your own bed!
We've used audiobooks on long car trips for years, when the kids were small it kept them from bickering with each other. We finished Mornings on Horseback a biography of Teddy Roosevelt
@Platespinner That is a good idea to start to listen to books in the future! Maybe starting tomorrow! i am getting ready for bed now at 5:30 pm and am listening to a documentary on Netflix. But just may listen to a book tonight when i go in my room! I may stay in the dining room a little longer! I move to my room when it gets dark. i try to use the light from the windows, so i don't have to put on a lamp and waste electricity! I go to my room when the light gets dark!
@Marty1 I've listened to a lot of audiobooks over the years. It's a good way to multi-task and keep my brain active when I'm doing an otherwise mindless task.
Wow, that really sounds like a lot of fun. I love your photo, it looks so refreshing. I haven't traveled far from home in years, anymore I'd rather just read what other people do.
I imagine there will come a day when I don't venture far from home. Right now, though travelling is the only way we get to see most of our extended family.
I used to love to travel around when I was younger as well @Platespinner but now with all these cats it's not so easy to do so. I'd love to take Ally to places far and wide but that's just not to be.
@rebelann pets do make it challenging. My two middle children had to stay home because work/school and were able to take care of my menagerie.
@1creekgirl (8304)
Wow, I'm tired just reading about your vacation! Sounds like you all had a grand time.
We had a wonderful time. Next month were taking a long weekend in the mountains which will likely be just as busy.
The last 45 years I have been on vacation with my husband, who never relaxes. He tries to see as much as he can and to do as much as he can, of course with me following. It's always a pleasure to come back home to relax.
It's going to be a few days before I can even relax here at home. The camping gear needs to be dried out and cleaned up before I can put it away.
@Platespinner I have never been camping, at least we stayed at a hotel or motel.
@LadyDuck I've always enjoyed camping. I find hotel/motels a bit confining. Especially when travelling with children.
Our recent camping vacation was exhausting.
Packing everything up, and then having to put everything away is always a major chore. We had what my husband calls a "toad strangler" the morning we left and ended up bringing home sopping wet gear. It will be a few days before I get everything washed, dry and put away!
@Platespinner Mine is clean and back in the trailer, but just shoved in. The trailer is a mess.
@paigea even things that didn't actually get wet (like the sleeping bags) are damp from the humidity...and it's extremely muggy here at home right now so hanging them to dry in the sun might not work very effectively.
@averygirl72 (12354)
Looks like a fun vacation you have. It can be both tiresome and relaxing. I remember our vacation for four days last May
Vacation memories are forever!
@averygirl72 (12354)
@Platespinner Yeah that is so true!
Wow gorgeous! Glad you had a good time. I always love to come home and sleep in my own bed also. You sure do get homesick. I usually like to cram a bunh of activities in too!
I don't get homesick per se, but I don't sleep as well when I'm not in my own bed.
@UncleJoe (8069)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Most vacations we have taken made me anxious to get home and back to work so I could get a little rest. Now that I'm older, rest would be the priority.
I've fought the rest/relax battle with my husband long enough to know that I won't win. He doesn't enjoy sitting with a good book or watching the grass grow, he needs to be DOING something to relax.
You did seem to do a lot while on vacation. Sleep well tonight, I always sleep well after going away also.
We were busy, bit it was a good busy. Air conditioning feels REALLY good right now!
@sishy7 (26607)
beautiful picture - is it from one of the four nights watching the sunset?
That was from one of the sunsets. I'm not entirely sure which one though.
I try to relax but usually I need a vacation when I get back from vacation. Glad you all had fun.
Even if we had relaxed the entire time, getting everything sorted out and put away here at home would have been exhausting enough to make me need another vacation.
when I was grow i ng u p my dads idea of a vacationwasto c r am e very m inute o ft he'day into something never miond if your aretrredlol we dd getto seealot pofthe US that way bbut some thi ngswen i one id and out amother asI was too weary to remember them ouur last bacation we went t o canada'and as hjs arhtrtis was bothering hm wegot t o take oirr time
My Dad always did the same thing with our vacations. We try to take a bit of time to relax (hence the sunsets on the beach), but when I look back at what all we did I am always amazed at how much we manage to cram into a week!
• Asansol, India
I usually enjoy vacation with my family. You have to be with them They are the pleasure in my life.We enjoy to go to beaches for our vacation.
@dianadee (1766)
• South Africa
You sound as if you had a wonderful vacation ..and had plenty of things to do!
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
I felt exhausted just reading your post but yes, I do tend to squeeze in as much as possible