Back from the River

By Val
@valmnz (12753)
New Zealand
The storm from the last few days has moved on and today has been filled with sunshine. The temperatures are still cool, but the sunshine tempted me out for a walk. I decided to walk down to the river, just over two kilometres away. I knew the river was rather flooded over the last few days, so I wanted to see if any damage had been caused in our part of town. River levels had receded today, not looking as calm as it does above, but enough for people to use the walking path. The water was brown, muddy and rushing quite swiftly, still right up to almost overflowing the banks. Further along I know the path has been damaged again. Water still lay in little lakes on the golf club green and the bowling club's green was still under water. But the sunshine had brought everyone outside. It was nice to see so many walkers out and about with smiling faces, many of them also walking dogs. I've returned from the long walk feeling refreshed by all the fresh air and sunshine after a few days inside.
That was a lot of rain. Is it really over for now?
@valmnz (12753)
• New Zealand
Should be, the storm always passes after a couple of days. I think up north some communities are still feeling the effect of it.
@valmnz (12753)
• New Zealand
@Kandae11 you asked if it was really over? I have heard another polar blast is heading this way.
It's nice you were able to get out. A lot of places around here have flood warnings but luckily it's summer here so I don't think we're in any danger.
@valmnz (12753)
• New Zealand
Our river is reasonably well controlled, but does suffer a little damage in severe weather.
Glad that you had a nice walk and that your weather has improved
@valmnz (12753)
• New Zealand
Winter will continue for a couple of months yet, so there's bound to be another patch.
I am glad your weather is better now and you had a nice walk.
@valmnz (12753)
• New Zealand
Yes, it was a nice day to be out and about.
Enjoy the good weather while it lasts.
@valmnz (12753)
• New Zealand
Yes, it will continue to be unsettled for the next couple of months at least.
I love walking along rivers but haven't done so in years Val since my son was small. We used to walk along the river Thames. Fond memories of those days like a dream. Glad you got refreshed by the walk along. And good to hear the sun coming out to dry up all the water.
@valmnz (12753)
• New Zealand
Some poor people have lots of mud to clear now. I'm glad this brought back memories for you.
@valmnz Poor folk.
We had flooding in several cities last week, the torrential rains had also caused the Lake of Lugano to go out. Right now we have sunny days and not too hot weather.
@valmnz (12753)
• New Zealand
Glad it's not too hot there for you Anna at the moment.
@valmnz Today is very pleasant, breezy and dry, we are going out in about half an hour.
@PatZAnthony (12892)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It looks like a beautiful place to walk @valmnz Hope you are having a good weekend there!
@valmnz (12753)
• New Zealand
It's a wonderful place to walk when the river isn't in flood. We seem to have a bad flood about once each winter.
@jobelbojel (7566)
Enjoy the sunshine! It would be contagious to see people out and about smiling on every direction.
@valmnz (12753)
• New Zealand
I lke that, contagious. Yes, Everyone had a smile on their faces.
@Inlemay (16729)
• South Africa
looks very tranquil
I'm glad you were able to get out and walk and that the river wasn't overflowing.