It's His Feet

My husband left last night at 6 p.m. to run a 24-hour marathon. The 24-hour race started at 10 p.m. He took along a tent, sleeping bag, headlamp, water, snacks, and whatever else he needed for this event. He called me at 8 a.m. this morning, and he told me he has 6 more miles to go. All runners are fed great meals during the race, and my husband said the food was amazing. Despite two feet that are killing him, and only 3 hours of sleep, he said he will finish those 6 miles. I told him to just come home, but he is bound and determined to finish that 31-mile goal he set for himself. For a guy who is age 68, I do admire his determination. Photo: Previous marathon awards earned by my husband.
He is awesome! Most men I know at the age of 40 cant run a mile.
He was the oldest participant in the 24-hour marathon, and that was rather special too. He is sleeping now, as he should be.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I so admire him too. He will make it Deborah. He is an amazing fellow. More power to him. Yes you will be glad when he is back.
Thank you, my friend. I will be so relieved when he returns home. He really is a wonderful man in so many ways. Thanks for your encouraging words.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Corbin5 Welcome Deborah..he truly is, blessings to you both.
I'll be 68 in a couple weeks or so, it didn't seem so old until you started talking about running, I never could run to begin with and now even walking can be a chore if the ground is concrete like in a Sams or Costco.
My feet kill me if I walk around on concrete floors too. Home Depot really does a number on my poor feet. Just glad he will be home in a few hours.
I've been buying Clarks shoes with the really good shock absorbent soles and they do help as long as I don't spend too many hours on concrete @Corbin5
@rebelann I will look into those. I do not like it when my feet hurt!!! Thank you for suggesting that brand of shoe.
An amazing man! Just glad that he has the determination to do his goal. Congratulations and Kudos to your husband!
Thank you for your kind words of congratulations, my friend. Very tired when he got home, but just fine today.
@Corbin5 Oh that is great he bounced right back. Even if i drive i would be too tired to drive home iof I ran as much as him and he drove home and is fine today! THE MAN IS AMAZING!
@Platespinner (16798)
I can walk until my feet fall of, but just the thought of running makes my knees hurt.
I know. I can walk and walk, but all that running would ruin the knew I injured in high school gymnastics. I have not run since that knee was injured.
@Corbin5 that's funny, cause that's essentially my excuse as well. Gymnastics is hard on the body!
• Preston, England
hope he made it to the end of the run, and get to rest his feet now
He made it to the end, and he was the oldest participant, so that is a nice thing too.
• Preston, England
@Corbin5 great achievement - i'm sure you are very proud of him
@silvermist (14869)
That is admirable.For someone who has already done this and has the determination,to stop near the goal is unthinkable.Congratulations to your husband.
Yes, no way could anyone talk him into stopping now. Thank you for your kind words of congratulations. Will let him know!!
@shshiju (8847)
• Cochin, India
What a wonderful person your hubby at the age of68 a 24 hour Marathon. He is really inspiring, wish him all success in his run
Thank you. He was the oldest participant in the 24-hour marathon, so that was rather nice to know too.
@shshiju (8847)
• Cochin, India
@Corbin5 That's great deborah .Does he have daily practice?
@shshiju Yes, he follows a training regime each week.
Hope he will be all finished and, can rest soon.
He did finish and he was the oldest participant in the 24-hour race, which is kind of cool.
@Corbin5 Congrats and, that's a very impressive feat. I could not do it. I can walk great distances, but running I will lose my breath.
Wow that is amazing! I would admire him as well, that's incredible. =)
He is sleeping now. He was the oldest participant in the marathon, so that was a nice thing too.
Those are nice metals he won. Do you ever join him or do you stay with Molly and the cat? He should have taken them along with him or would they stare him down the whole time?
I stay at home with Molly when my husband is in a race. Not much for Molly to do at a race and she would get really bored and want to go home.
@Corbin5 Deborah, I understand. Didn't you mention a cat too? Do you still have one?
@Hannihar No, we no longer have Missy, the black kitty. She lived to age 14, and she was a well-loved kitty, but a kitty who did bite and scratch us when we least expected.
• Pamplona, Spain
I admire him too and those medals speaks of tenacity a passion for what he does. Good luck whatever he does. Nice to enjoy a meal like that goes down very well. Buen provecho.
Thank you for your kind words. Yes, he really did enjoy this race despite his hurting feet.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Corbin5 He can always soak his poor feet afterwards in nice bath salts.
@lovinangelsinstead21 I told him to do that, but he did not take that advice. His feet are pretty good today because he fell asleep for a very long time when he got home.
@nanette64 (11979)
• Fairfield, Texas
That's called, "stick-to-it-ivness". What a guy @Corbin5 .
Yes, no way was he coming home and not finishing that think. He was the oldest participant in the 24-hour race, so that was kind of cool.
@nanette64 (11979)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 Absolutely cool. Heck there aren't a lot of people in their 30's that would attempt it. I would; of course I'd need an electric wheelchair.
@nanette64 Me too. We could do electric wheelchair races, and we'd win, probably due to knocking others over!!!
@blitzfrick (2997)
Does he have plantar fasciitis? Very very painful.
He used to years ago, but hasn't had it in ages. I think it is a bit of arthritis that makes his feet hurt.
@Corbin5 He certainly has my sympathy, but I question the wisdom of continuing to jog or run.
@blitzfrick Well, as long as his doctor gives him the OK, he will be fine.
@ridingbet (33426)
he is an inspiration to the older citizens. he has an active lifestyle and that is good. you have some mementos of his sports activities, and that is already considered treasure.
Yes, he was very pleased that he was able to finish this race since he was the oldest participant.
@ridingbet (33426)
@Corbin5 i understand he already ran the Boston marathon, didn't he?
@ridingbet Yes, he did run Boston, and he had a great time in that one.
@RubyHawk (18917)
• Atlanta, Georgia
He is a determined guy. Good luck to him.
He did finish the 24-hour race and he was the oldest participant. He has recovered now.
@RubyHawk (18917)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Corbin5 Congratulations to your hubby. He should be proud.
Your husband is very determinate I can understand your worries. If I were you, perhaps I would have a GPS on him secretly so that I would know where he was all the time. Or I might just ride a bike to follow him to make sure everything was fine
Yes, the GPS is a great idea. I am just glad he called to tell me he was OK.
@Corbin5 If I were you, I would tell him just keep the phone on and not to hung it up
@alberello75 (11112)
• Genova, Italy
Your husband, he's a sportsman like my father. My dad was an avid of soccer (a sport, very popular here in Italy). Unfortunately in 2007, he got sick of prostate cancer. It was operated successfully. But he could no longer perform any sporting activities. Today at the age of 72, he goes to recreational circles, looking for happiness "in the glass" (Of course not drunk!). I'm sorry for him
Oh, I do wish your dad could still participate in the sport of soccer. I think this will be my husband's last marathon, but he will still run a few miles a day to keep in shape.
@alberello75 (11112)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 Your husband does well to keep in training. But I think, for everybody, to a certain age, we have to definitely say stop! This is because the physicist is obviously not the same as a young person.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Good on him. More and more people of his age are attempting such things these days. I hope you feel sorry for him when he starts moaning about his feet!
I did my best to feel very sorry for him regarding his aching feet. I did not say, "It's your own fault!"
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
@Corbin5 I'm glad to hear that
Good luck to him. And glad the food they have is good.
He said there was so much food for the runners. He was the oldest participant in the 24-hour race, so that is rather special too.
@Corbin5 oh wow.