The Mystery Of The Helicopter In My Room

bugs
@sabtraversa (13338)
Italy
The baby on the left is a moth. A tiny one, I know. I thought it was her making all this noise, buzzing like a helicopter and hitting the walls like a loony. I switched the lamp on and found out it was a stink bug (pic on the right). To be specific, halyomorpha halys, humanly called "brown marmorated stink bug". Also called "asian stink bug", it comes from the far east, was accidentally introduced and found in the US in Semptember 1998. In Italy, it was found in September 2012. Tonight, it was found in my room. They usually come at home in autumn, so I didn't expect her visit. The most common stink bug we have here is the Palomena prasina, humanly called "green shield bug". It's different from the North American green stink bug, I don't know why. Feel free to tell me which stinky bugs you have in your countries, if we really need to discuss. We all agree they're annoying. And... is it obvious my mosquito net is broken? Photos taken by me, with my iPhone (buy iPhone buy iPhone buy iPhone). Info taken from Wikipedia.
There are none here that I know of. Does it actually smell? I would not like it in any case.
@sabtraversa (13338)
@TiarasOceanView Everyone says they stink, but I've never "sniffed" any. I didn't expect to have a bug with such a beautiful pattern in my room, but I'm still hating it.
@sabtraversa Yes it is a fascinating pattern I agree. Okay well I guess it does not stink right now or you would be running out of there.
@sabtraversa (13338)
@TiarasOceanView They usually stink if you bother them, but it was the one bothering me at that moment, I had to be the one stinking in that case.
I have both brown and green, but the brown seem to be more numerous
@sabtraversa (13338)
@JolietJake Are the brown ones patterned like the one in the picture? I was wikipeding further and saw we also have Nezara Viridula, another green stink bug that turns brown in winter. It comes from Africa, therefore it enjoys warmer weather. I have seen more brown than green, but now I think that's because of this other species, the Nezara.
@sabtraversa I've seen both the marmorated and plain brown ones
I had one buzzing me up at Grandma's the other day too.
@sabtraversa (13338)
@TRBRocks420 They usually visit homes when it gets colder outside, that's strange to see them when it's so hot outside.
@alberello75 (17578)
• Genova, Italy
I do not recognize the insects, I do not give them importance. Only when they "bite" will literally bother me! The most common ones, are mosquitoes! I would never allow any bug to swipe on the keyboard! ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Your IPhone makes awesome pictures, what version is it? My brother has 5S
@sabtraversa (13338)
Mosquitoes are also noisy, especially when they get close to the ears, I cringe. They were attracted by the keyboard because my laptop was the only source of light. It's an iPhone 4S, not the latest version, but I'm happy with its photo quality.
@alberello75 (17578)
• Genova, Italy
@sabtraversa In your title you wrote the word "helicopter". Between a while, there will be the invasion of drones. Always better than insects
@sabtraversa (13338)
@alberello75 I hope the drones won't be noisy, at least.
@Orson_Kart (4353)
Yeah, we have those stink bugs in the UK. I believe they only stink when you crush them?
@sabtraversa (13338)
@Orson_Kart Yes, they stink if you harm them. They're also supposed to stink if you touch them, but I used to touch them and never smelled anything. They were polite.
@sabtraversa Do they emit the smell then? I thought that it was just their crushed body smelled. Maybe it was the way you touched them that they liked?
@sabtraversa (13338)
@Orson_Kart That's the only defence mechanism they have, these skunk bugs. I simply grabbed their shields. Their legs were so strong and sticky it felt like playing with magnets.
We also have the same stinky bugs like that in the picture. I hate it when accidentally touched me.lol
@sabtraversa (13338)
@Shavkat I had that bug flying and resting on my laptop, but it didn't touch me. I used to grab them when I was a kid, I loved how sticky their legs were. But I never smelled them, I can't tell if they're stinky.
@sabtraversa I had tried that this insect on my clothes and accidentally grab it. It does stinks.lol
@sabtraversa (13338)
@Shavkat Whoops.
We have the green stink bugs here and last year we had A LOT . They are not big but very noisy and they stink if you touch them.
@sabtraversa (13338)
@LadyDuck Yes, they aren't huge or poisonous, it could have been worse. Next time I'll try to touch them, I can't be 21 and not know what a stinky bugs stinks like.
@sabtraversa It's a strong smell and you will have to wash your hands several times before it goes away.
@Butchcass4 (6031)
I know we have stink bugs here in Northeastern Pa but I haven't seen one in a long time. I think its been a few years, ofcourse I'm not much of an outdoors person so the chances of me seeing one are slim. But I remember what they look like, I recognized it as soon as I saw your picture.
@sabtraversa (13338)
@Butchcass4 I usually see, and HEAR, stink bugs when they're indoors. We usually get a few during the end of summer, but one is more than enough, trust me.
@kepweng (15084)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
be careful with that insects its have venom
@sabtraversa (13338)
@kepweng Really? The moth or the stink bug? I used to touch and play with the stink bugs.
Looks like a really nasty little bugger. I don't know if we have them here in Latvia. Hope you can get them out of your house and you're not invaded.
@sabtraversa (13338)
@RasmaSandra They're noisy but cute, if they could just walk and not fly hitting the walls, I would be fine with an invasion. As long as they don't start devouring me.
@cahaya1983 (10053)
Lots of flying insects here, I don't know which ones belong under the "stinky bugs" category though. The most annoying one for me is the flood flies that always come after the rain. Tonnns of them!
@sabtraversa (13338)
@cahaya1983 Stinky bugs simply have the shape and dimension of the example I posted, but they can come in different colors. Flies can be very annoying, indeed. I'm not sure we have the flood ones, but we have plenty of fruit flies (Drosophila melanogaster) and a few houseflies that can be noisy as well. Nothing is worse than mosquitoes though.