Chili, chili and more chili!

Chili photo by Pat Z Anthony
@PatZAnthony (12660)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Chili is something we enjoy and it is the perfect time of year here to prepare for the next few months by making a few dozen servings. We have an overload of tomatoes and also have friends who have more tomatoes and other vegetables than they need, so of course, we freeze what we can. Our chili is made without meat and is mild, medium and hot! Something for everyone here. Several jars of chili will be kept in the refrigerator and used as needed, while the remainder is frozen. Are you canning or freezing what is growing in your area?
Sounds like a good plan. No, I've never canned. My mother did. But she never made chili, only pickles and tomatoes.
@just4him, I never did canning either. But my Mom did and also did a lot of relish and jam and put them in glass jars.
@marlina My mother started making jam in the last years of her life.
@just4him My Mom learned how to do all that stuff when she was just a kid. She was the oldest on the children and had to help her Mom to do everything.
I don't freeze garden things as I do not have a garden! i do freeze food i made or my home helper made for me on Wednesday's, and I am supposed to get a second home helper to cook for me sometime next week besides my regular Angie on another day! i do a lot of freezing of things like bread, and if I have a dessert from wal mart bakery i will freeze some of them as i cannot finish them right away before they spoil! I am known for things i freeze my sister says she never thought of freezing before like a slice of pizza if i can't eat it in three days! And many other things. I have done too much of that as I barely have any more freezer space in two freezers!
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It is a great idea to freeze everything @Marty1 If you can't eat it, freezing for later makes very good sense.
I freeze my hot pepper to be used during the year. I dry the zucchini and the tomatoes in the dryer, they are perfect to be added to the soups in winter.
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Yes, saving these things for the cold weather is a great idea @LadyDuck
@PatZAnthony It's a shame to waste food and then you have to go buy things in winter.
I am doing both, I try to can most of it because it last longer especially if the power goes out. I am out of canned chili I need to make some, mine is veggie too.
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It seems we eat this on a regular basis @andriaperry So good!
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
Middle of winter here in New Zealand, so not a lot growing at the moment!
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
The winter months are slow for growing here too @valmnz except for those with greenhouses.
I do not can at all. But we are going to have lots of tomatoes by the middle of August. I will just give them away to anyone who wants them.
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Here everyone has too many and most are sharing @jstory07
@PatZAnthony Yes sharing is good.
@CRK109 (14465)
I used to bring in everything from my garden and can and/or freeze whatever I could. It was glorious! And how I miss those days. But I have some great memories of all the people who loved the food we prepared!
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We have photos of several generations in the "summer kitchen" canning whatever they did that year @CRK109
@velvet53 (16605)
• Palisade, Colorado
i didn't have a garden this year but my kids did so I am sure I will be getting some from them. Also I have a few friends that has some stuff for me.
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Many of the things we were able to can or freeze were grown by others with too much @velvet53
@velvet53 (16605)
• Palisade, Colorado
@PatZAnthony It is great to have people who will share what they have extra of with you. I remember how I used to do that.
I'm afraid we don't do much in the way of canning and freezing but my mother used to do a lot of canning. In Australia it was called bottling.
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It is called several different things here @JudyEv Funny that it is canning when there are usually glass jars.
@PatZAnthony That's why I always thought it must have been something different.
@bluesa (13421)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I love mild chilli on a hamburger @PatZAnthony . Unfortunately I don't have a green thumb, so no stuff to can or freeze. I go the store bought route.
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We have enough now to last most of the cold weather when it gets here @bluesa
@bluesa (13421)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@PatZAnthony it is good you will have enough in stock for that.
I am not but I do adore Chilii
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Chili is something we really enjoy when it is what we have made ourselves @TiarasOceanView
I don't can or freeze anything, my grandmother always did that... Chilli sounds good right now..
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We find it entertaining for the first few hours, then it gets old @CookieMonster46 But we all appreciate what we make when it comes time to eat.
This would have been a good year to start growing but who knew we'd go from 100s in late June through early July to low 80s now? I think I'll make some pinto beans today, that would make a tasty meal.
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
The heat has really messed things up for many of our local growers @rebelann
It will do that @PatZAnthony
I wish I can do that, my friend. There are no crops in the garden because of monsoon rains for almost a month now. We sometimes dried the chilis under the sun and pounded them as chili powder. But I also do like home made chili oil.
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
That is something many do not realize @Shavkat No crops would certainly mean no canning or freezing!
@PatZAnthony I agree. Sometimes we can be productive in their own crops.
@Fishmomma (11504)
I have lots of freezer containers of strawberries and blueberries. Also just did a bunch of peaches, so will be enjoying produce for awhile.
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We did not get many berries this year @Fishmomma but hope there is still time for some to grow!
@suziecat7 (3399)
• Asheville, North Carolina
My garden is small and just enough but people keep giving me some of theirs too. It's good because I'm unable to grow squash here and I love it.
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Sharing is the perfect answer @suziecat
@Lucky15 (33384)
Pineapple is in season and some are doing some jams from it :)
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We don't have a pineapple season here! Many are doing some grapes and apple jelly now @Lucky15
@quantum2020 (9261)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
Even though, chili is very popular in Mexico, I donĀ“t eat chili. Here is mango and soon tuna season
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Yes, chili is popular in Mexico @quantum2020 However, what we had there was a bit spicier than we make at home.
No meat?
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We do not eat meat @marlina so nothing we make contains animal products.
I try to freeze the excess when I have it. It is really nice to know that there is always a meal ready.
@PatZAnthony (12660)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It is so nice to have things frozen or canned and ready @GardenGerty