My Sammy Has Gone To Doggie Heaven

Image by HazySue
@HazySue (15184)
We have had a very rough few days. Our little Sammy is no longer with us. It has been devastating. We took him to the vets on the 12th and they told us that he was very close to death. He had a massive tumor on his spleen and it had broken open causing him the bleed internally. They let us know we could maybe get another day or two to spend with him by giving him prednisone but it would be kinder to put him to sleep. It was a hard decision but really, in our minds, there was nor question of what we needed to do. We didn't want him to suffer anymore. It was kinder and a more loving thing to let him go to sleep while we held him and loved him. It broke our hearts but there really was no other choice. He deserved to go with no more pain and sickness. We will be getting his ashes the end of this next week. He was our baby. We will dearly miss him. I still think I hear him moving around at night. We both are devastated by this loss. The picture I used on this post is the last one I took of him. It was taken the day before we lost him. One thing we know for sure, he knew he was loved.
@dragon54u (31185)
I'm so sorry you lost your dear friend. I have had to do this many times myself and I know how much it hurts. How old was Sammy? It doesn't help you right now, but when the pain subsides a little and you start remembering the good times with a smile, you will take comfort knowing you gave him a good life with lots of love and a dignified, painless journey home. I believe he'll be waiting for you when your time comes.
• Marion, Kansas
Love and respect are the best things we can give our pets. He was lovely but you can see he is not feeling lively in this photo.I am sorry for the loss your family is feeling this week. It will take time to heal I am sure.
@dgobucks226 (3894)
I've lost a few pets in my time (dogs and cats) and it never gets any easier making that decision to let them go. Take comfort in the fact you did the right thing and stopped his suffering. And remember the joy your pet gave you in your time together. My condolences to you
I am so sorry for the loss of your precious fur baby. It is always so difficult to say good bye to our loved ones. Thinking of your and sending huge hugs.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I am sorry for your loss Susan. RIP Sammy.
How very sad. I am sorry to hear of this. But they all have to go sometime. We get so attached to the little fellows. We had to put our dog to sleep. We took his remains up to a meadow where we used to camp. Buried him there. He will enjoy running and being with the other animals there.
So sorry to hear this. You did the loving thing.
So sorry to hear that you lost your precious Sammy. It's difficult to lose a beloved pet
My condolences may his soul rest in peace.
Hi Susan, Sorry for your loss and do take care.
@MrPearl (54)
• Pune, India
Hi Susan, sorry for your loss. I will pray for you & family... Take care... Sammy too knew the love you have for him.. And he will miss you equally... Take care Susan...
@Blondie2222 (16368)
I'm so sorry for your loss. Atleast he is not in any pain anymore and he will be with you in your heart and watching over you. Praying for you and the family it's hard to lose anyone close to you, pets our like a family members to us. Praying you get thru the week & if you need anything please let us know.
This is what most pet owners have to face. We had to on a couple of occasions. Better that than let them suffer. You will get over it as time is the healer.
• Prairieville, Louisiana
2 of my boxers were put to sleep as well as a snoozer.
• Prairieville, Louisiana
How many years did you have Sammy?
@ladylaura89 (1413)
• Manchester, England
sorry to hear your loss
I am so so sorry for your loss. I am glad he had such a happy and loving life with you!
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Oh, I do feel so sad for you. But how wonderful that you'd take a photo just the day before. Keep hold of all the great memories.
Oh I'm so sorry Susan - I've been there with my beloved dog years ago, so I know how you are feeling. They are part of the family, and we mourn them as such when we lose them.
• Pamplona, Spain
So very sorry you lost him. Big hug going out to you too.