My sleep experiment

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I had a unusual night last night; I am usually sleeping by at least 9 pm as i start getting ready at 5 in the night and go to sleep at 7 pm It was unusual as I didn;t get t sleep until 3=2 am and then woke up at 4 am. so i only had 2 hours of sleep. I think i have mentioned this in comments, but I get to sleep so easily as I am prescribed a medicine that is an antidepressant but it makes one very tired. I was just prescribed this medicine Trazodonein June and is beginning to work on me. i have been taking it lately, and it puts me to sleep, and i wake up tired and am too tired to stay up past 7 pm most nights. Yesterday afternoon I thought i wasn; going to take my trazodone and ended up taking it and didn't sleep anyway. Tonight i am trying a sleep experiment and going to follow research i do later on sleeping without medicine. I am anxious to see how i can sleep without it. If I don't sleep at least, i won't be sleepy tomorrow as I won't have that nasty medicine in me! Do you have problems sleeping? Did you ever try a medicine to sleep? DOyou hav a special way to get ready for bed?
I usually fall asleep pretty quickly but I wake up often through the night. I have taken an over the counter sleeping pill a few times and it helps but I always feel real tired in the morning so I don't usually take them. I usually go to bed around midnight and I am up by 6 or 7. Since my surgery my sleep is different but once I heal I will get back to my normal sleep pattern.
That is the same with me as I don't sleep through the night often even with the medicine. I am usually up by 2-4 am depending on how late i went to bed always before 9-10 pm. I have a research site i subscribe to called Questia, and it gives one article from all kinds of newspaper and journals and magazines article I will try that, I will probably get offline and read a library book while getting ready for bed. I hope you are doing better I love you and so does Marty
@Marty1 love you and Marty too.
@Happy2BeMe are you starting to feel better or is it still too soon? i hope you start to feel better on a daily basis!
@dgobucks226 (1801)
Maybe a different type of medication should be prescribed for you or different dosage since you are so tired. Sometimes I take herbal teas to relax before going to sleep. I also do a meditation where I visualize a favorite peaceful place before I decide its time for bed. Anything to relax and wind down my mind. I feel it does help.
I am going to call the pharamx=cist to see if Incn take sleepy time tea if i stop that medicine as i was told i can; t drink the tea with the Trazodone
@Marty1 I find the pharmacist seems to know more about prescriptions than the doctors who prescribe them. Good luck and pleasant dreams
@dgobucks226 Yes i am on a first name basis with my pharmacist, I will try to have pleasant dreams tonight
• Lakewood, Colorado
Yes I do and some nights I must take my medicine. I hope you figure out a good system for yourself Jennifer with the medicine. You only slept two hours..are you tired now?
I am kind of tired but am going to wait until 6 pm tonight to go to sleep. I got nervous last night that I would not fall asleep without the medicine and took it. What a mistake as I was right back to square one., I am more tired when I take medicine and sleep. I do not ever remember any time i didn't sleep pre medicine that I was so tired after sleep
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Marty1 Yes if you skip meds then it does that too.
@TiarasOceanView But i can not take the sleepiness that goes with the med. But i can stop it as it is prescribed on an as needed and i thought i needed it every night
@Blondie2222 (14903)
I have a sleeping pill i can take for when I don't sleep which is Ambien. I've only taken it a few times, i try not to take anything. Some nights i sleep good & other nights I don't. Hope your sleeping experiment turns out good, let us know.
I have heard of Ambien, but i got Trazodone i think that the reason that I got an antidepressant because it is my psychiatrist that prescribes them I took the Trazodone last night and slept 12 hours or close to it. So i think i will take it each night! I had a sound sleep last night, but there are nights like you I don't have the best times of sleep I hope you had a great sleep last night!
@Blondie2222 (14903)
@Marty1 that is great. I only take mine if I know i'm going to get atleast 8 hours of sleep as I get drowsy with it when i wake up in the morning. I slept pretty good last night so didn't need it.
@Blondie2222 Didn;t you say you take Ambien when you need it? i think Ambien is made for sleep and that kind of meds can cause that. I always read that you should take when you can have a full nights sleep. My pal, Trazodone is not really a sleep medicine as it s an antidepressant but is prescribed for sleep as it is very good at making one fa asleep from it is so sedating. I took it last night and was asleep in minutes or so at a little after 9 pm and slept through the night without waking up until four this morning! That is super you had a good sleep and didn't need medicine!
Sometimes i sleep easily other times i dont
I hope you have a better sleep more often than not. Did you sleep last night well? I had a bad night on Saturday night and only slept two hours at 2, or 3 am to 4 am. I think not sleeping that night made me sleep 12 hours last night until 7 am this morning! Hopefully, those time you sleep easily are much more than the bad night's sleep you get.
@Marty1 nope only slept 3-5 then 530-830.
@Courtlynn I am so sorry and hope it makes you sleepy enough tonight to sleep a whole night through. I don't sleep all through the night most nights and am up by 2 or 3 am! Here's sending you hopes for a good night's sleep tonight! I am hoping not much sleep last night will make you more tired and get you a great night's sleep tonight.
I rarely have trouble sleeping since I have taken the same antidepressant, which aids sleep too, for over 30 years. It took a while for my body to adjust to the medicine, but I do not have problems with it now. However, I do take it 2 hours before I go to bed so that I am really sleepy when 11 p.m comes.
Good idea to take it earlier. I can't stay up until 11 pm when I am on the medicine. It leaves me feeling severely sleep deprived if i get to sleep after 10 pm. I am going to try to sleep without it tonight. I am going to try as hard as possible. My medicine for sleep is an antidepressant also, and it is supposed to take one sleepy, but I don't think it was made to make a person exhausted during waking hours. I have been exhausted since it really started working for me this month. I am confused; I don't know what to do?
@Marty1 It does take quite a while for the daytime drowsiness side effect to wear off. Your body has to adjust to the medication before the side effects go away. You could try reducing the amount you take by just a bit to see if that works. You just may have to wait for the drowsiness side effect to go away, which will take some time.
@Corbin5 i might cut the pill in half. I see what you say I have not been on it long enough to have my body adapt to the sleepiness. i think I might take it tonight. This is a new medicine to me, i have only been on it since June 6, and then I started taking it nightly. Thank you for the good explanation! i will take it tonight and try to get to sleep early and will wait like you about an hour or two before i plan to go to bed and have it work on getting me sleepy, i can do that. What do you do when you take the medicine you take? Do you go to your bed or do you walk around and read, too? Do you live a regular life? Not getting in bed etc.. Don;t you read in the evening? I might stay in the living room instead of going to my bedroom and reading in bed. I need to think of the bedroom for only one thing, sleep, which i read we should see our bedroom as a sleeping place!
I hope it will work for you. I go to bed the same time every night without meds.
Do you fall asleep easily? i ended up taking it last night and slept a little over 12 hours. i actually went back to bed when i wake up at 3 am and slept until 7:13 am! I did take an hour out of the from 3- 4 am to put Marty in his ball for an hour as I have a duty being his mommy! Don't mind as his happiness is my number one priority ) what time do you go to bed at night? Do you wake up the same time each morning?
@Marty1 Yes, I pass out almost immediately every night. I get into bed around 11:00 and watch a bit of TV not usually later that midnight. I wake up at different times. Today it was just after 6. I always leave after I feed Doodles for my walk. I'm glad you had such a wonderful long sleep!!!!
@DianneN That is great you take a walk every day. I don't like to go on walks early as I am up usually around 2-4 am, and it is dark. I am not allowed to go out alone on my own in the dark!! but do walk to library when i don't have plans I do try to go to bed at 7 p.m. each night! I wake up at different times, also!Today i started at 3 am which is normal for me, but I usually don't go back to sleep like today until 7 am! I might stay up later until eight at night tonight! I have a lot of reading to do and want to have a longer reading time!I also want to do more on my lot today!
I hope it works for you. No, I don't take medication to go to sleep. I just go to bed when I'm tired. Or when I need to if I need to be up early, such as Sunday for church.
the days i need to be up early I go to bed at five pm if i go to bed an all that night before
@Marty1 I couldn't go to bed that early. My earliest is 8:30.
@just4him I don't usually go to bed at 8:30 pm as I am usually already sleeping. But tonight feel daring and might stay up until 8 or 9 pm That depends on how tired I get before then. I am a little bit tired now, but might get really tired around my usual seven or eight at night bedtime! I have been known to go to bed before six at night a few times! But it is not usually that early! No, think in will be in bed at 7 pm tonight!
@silvermist (13463)
No,I do not take any medicine for sleeping.But I usually go to sleep very late and wake up early.These days I get around 5 hours of sleep.
last night I took medicine and slept 12 hours. I am going to take it I think for a while longer, I slept through the night, so I am happy about it but had to go back to bed by 4 am when i got up at 3 am. Then slept from 4 am - 7 am I usually wake up in the middle of the night so mostly get 5 or so hours night
@silvermist (13463)
@Marty1 But I think you have to get at least 7 hours of sleep.
@silvermist I have heard 8 hours of sleep. I actually had NINE HOURS OF SLEEP last night! I even took my sleep med and don't feel tired today yet!
• Riga, Latvia
I am a night owl and if I get inspired to write and do things I have stayed up practically all night and then slept till late afternoon. I can only go to bed when I am really sleepy. There have been times I cannot fall asleep but I have never taken any medicine.
I am not a night owl at all and do my worst after 5 or 6 in the afternoon. I do all my cooking in the late morning/ early afternoon as I don't want to make a mistake and start a fire. I don't last a long time and am at my best at 5am in the morning .i usually go to bed by 7 at night and am up on most mornings at 2 am or a little later Then i am good until about 5 or 6 p.m.! i am glad you have found the best time for you, We are all different as my mom always stayed awake until 4 am or later in the morning and slept until 3 p.m..It just depends on I guess on how our bodies respond to the time??
• Riga, Latvia
@Marty1 Right you get me up at around 6 AM and I only fully come awake at 12 PM
@RasmaSandra I always can't sleep through the night, and end up like last night at 1 am getting up. My hamster, Marty, likes it because he can spend 3-4 hours in his ball but i want to sleep until at least 4-5 am! Of course, i was up because last night went to sleep at 6:30 pm last night. I discussed it with somebody, and we decided I will go to bed with the medicine at 8 pm tonight! It is hard for me to stay up later than 8 pm I most likely want to go at 6 pm and have to force myself to stay up till then! I am hoping I get to sleep later tomorrow morning!
I have all kinds of problems sleeping. I like to be up at night. When no one else is around. I am retired now and stay up watching cable or writing online. Some nights I don't realize it and it's morning already and I have been up all night. I enjoy it. So then when I have to be up for an appointment or something I have all kinds of problems. I just had to change my annual doctor's appointment because I realized it was too early for me to make it. I have written several posts on sleeping here. What to eat for night time snack, how to set up your room for better sleep, etc. So, if interested you might look back over some of them. Probably back around march or so.
I like to be up late at night but can't stay up that late, so i go to bed pretty early and get up in the middle of the night. I didn't get to sleep until a few minutes after 9 pm last night and woke up at 4 am. I think i may try to go to bed later than normal at 8:30 at night so i can sleep by 9 pm and get up a little later like today when i slept until 4 am, I don't really feel tired so I am doing great so far today! I also can't stay up late as I get so tired by 4 or5 in the afternoon! have a great day and night!
@Marty1 .....What a life!
I do also but for different reasons..I work night shift and on my off days switch to a day "shift"and it totally screws me up. Sometimes I wake up at 1am and have to get up because I cant sleep. Ah. Well let us know how your experiment goes please. I hope it helps.
i decided to still take my medicine. I took it last night and slept from 6:30 pm or so and i woke up at 1 am this morning. I am still kind of tired but falling right to sleep so don't mind as much. Just hate sometimes how tired i m when i wake up though I am not as tired today as yesterday. I prefer to get up 1-2 am in the morning as it is pleasant and have my hamster, Marty in his ball which makes me happy! I think i will continue with the medicine for awhile!
@prashu228 (14606)
I don't have any sleeping problems. Infact I fell asleep within five minutes of going to bed..
My dad was just like you. My mom and I would tuck him in bed, and before we got out of the room he was sleeping soundly! Glad you don't have sleeping problems! I was better last night! I think you are lucky to sleep so well!
@CRK109 (14380)
I used to use a medication that made me wake up groggy and I hated that. So I talked with my doctor and he switched it to something that wakes me up very well. No sleepy feelings at all. I hope you can find something that works better for you!
I am going to stick to what I am taking as I slept very well last night about 12 hours in all! I am not as tired when I woke up the second time. When I woke up at 3 am and was exhausted went back to bed at 4-7am I feel much better since I woke up the second time
I have a lot of sleepless nights and last night was again one of them. I do not take pills for sleeping as I hate those.
My medicine for sleeping isn't really a sleeping pill as my psychiatrist gives it to me for insomnia but it is really an antidepressant, and I don't sleep if I don't take it. It might be my body getting used to it. So i decided to take it for awhile longer. i make an appointment in two weeks i have to call and make one some weird idea they call me to tell me to make an appointment by calling them! ( my psychiatrist says don't shoot the messenger when he said to us about the new plan!) My case manager is making it for me as she s taking me )my sister will be on vacation during that week.
I have no problems sleeping , I can lay down and sleep anytime. Maybe talk to your doctor about all this and see what he/she says, maybe you need a smaller dose or a new medicine. Stopping taking them all together is not a good idea, Why? Because each time someone stops their medication for depression etc. it gets harder to find something that will work to help control it. This is the same for me, if I stop taking the medication for diabetes it will soar out of control and it`ll take me months to get it back in control.
You are like my dad was. But I think he may have been ever better at laying down to sleep as he sat and fell asleep while I was talking to him! i think i will stick to take this medicine for awhile longer as I am waiting for my body to metabolize it and not make me wake up tired anymore. I got that way with taking two pills, and everybody told me one would knock them out, and I took both and had to take melatonin I found on the medicine shelf in my kitchen cabinet. I can't sometimes sleep for days if I don' take medicine. But even with the medicine and had a regular night of sleep the night before and I wake up around 2 am. I don't; know if i will tell him about this medicine for fear he may take me off it and I will be left with 2 or 3 nights with no sleep at all I don't know what I am going to do??
My sleep pattern can be unpredictable, depending on circumstances like - too hot weather, barking dogs, thinking too much etc. - but I manage to sleep eventually.
I keep hearing cars outside, and it bothers me all night while trying to sleep. I don't know if that would come under the voices I hear most of the time that just changed to noises or what?? I live in a very residential neighborhood, so don't know where the noises are originating??
I sleep 4 or 5 hours a night period.
That is more than I sleep without medicine as I sometimes spend nights and night without sleep. What time do you go to bed and wake up?
Getting ready for bed, of course put my pjs on, wash my face, then lotion it, and brush my teeth. If I have anxiety during the day, it causes me to wake up around 1-2AM, but can't go back to sleep. Other nights, I sleep usually about five or six hours. One time, I needed to take a sleeping pill for a couple nights.
@bunnybon7 (30030)
• Holiday, Florida
no i hate medications also. i already take too many. i just sleep when i can. not much but i get by okay most days.