What Do You Think of When You Hear Subway?

Photo courtesy of Pixabay
By Val
@valmnz (12595)
New Zealand
When you hear the word subway, do you immediately think of Subway fast food chain, selling sandwiches similar to the one pictured above? Or do you think of something quite different, an underground tunnel? I've done a bit of quick research and discovered the Subway restaurants started back in 1965 and now there are more than 43,000 franchises in 110 countries. In fact, these facts are a couple of years old, so that could have changed. Here in New Zealand it's one of the most poplular fast food chains. Then, some of you will think of subways in terms of trains and underground metro railways. That's what I found when I quickly searched the term subway. But the one on my mind at the moment is pedestrian subway. I'm researching one that used to be here where I live, enabling pedestrians to pass from one side of the railway yards to the other. It was built in the early 1900s and finally filled in about the 1960s. It seems there are not so many pedestrian subways, the usual term for such an underground walkway being a tunnel. I wonder what the term subway means to you? Do you have an underground railway or a pedestrian walkway bearing the name subway near you?
• Denmark
There is a Subway eatery in our town, but I haven't eaten there and don't intend to do so. I'm not a one for fast food.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
It's actually quite different from the usual fast food, You choose your own great bread, fresh salad and cold meat ingredients and any sauce if you wish. It really is a healthy option - here ours are anyway.
@sallypup (18543)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@valmnz Lots of salt in those cold cuts. Tasty, though.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
@sallypup I have heard that American food has a lot more salt and sugar than we do in our foods here in NZ
• Lakewood, Colorado
There are none of the latter here in my area but I do remember those walkways when I lived in England some very spooky Val. When I hear the word subway, I think of the underground in London. Or the subway in NY.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Yes, I think ours was eventually closed when the railway was moved to the outskirts of town, but it had become an unsavoury place.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@valmnz Yes ideal places for all manner of bad things.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
@TiarasOceanView that's for real
@Platespinner (16595)
What I think of "subway" depends on the context in which it is used. If the word is by itself? I'd probably ask "sandwich, or transportation?"
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
As the word isn't much used for underground transportation here in NZ any more, most people here automatically think of food.
The closest subways to me are in Manhattan. My son takes one to work every day. We have a Subway about a five minute drive from us and actually had our yearly sub sandwich from them last week for a quick dinner. My manicurist's husband move to the USA from Australia to manage the chain.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
So many connections there!
Do you have a favorite yearly sub from subway? I have a meatball marinara in my refrigerator now.I get one in wall mart as they have a branch in wal mart and each time I go, my sister, suggest i buy one for home for the some time in the next week Those I usually eat right away and freeze the other fast foods I bought while I was out that I don't finish them within four days.
@Marty1 I only get tunafish. lol
I always think about sandwiches. Probably because we don't have a subway here.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
I think pedestrian ones are a thing from the past almost.
When I hear subway I think to the underground railway, it's still hard for me to think to a fast food chain or to a specific sandwich that Americans call "subs".
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Because I grew up with the local pedestrian underground walkway, that is always what I think of first.
Not all the people in this country call the subs In the Pittsburgh area we only call subs the sandwiches from subway. We call the rest of them hoagies Kids sell hoagies for school fundraisers etc. The school fundraiser hoagies are the best ones there are! Some reason they have all these deli meats and cheese and I believe pickles! I have not had them in some time as i do not answer my door unless i am expecting somebody or it is a family member showing up without telling or someone calls me that they are coming to my house!
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
@Marty1 thanks, that is really interesting
@garymarsh6 (11907)
I still think of the underground walkway or pass rather than the chain of sandwich shops! I have never visited one although there are lots around!
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Maybe this term, the same as I think of it, is a British one that we here in NZ inherited.
@garymarsh6 (11907)
@valmnz So many useful things eh!
@FourWalls (8427)
Since we don't have underground tube stations as the Brits call them, I think of the sandwich shop.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
I thought that might be the case for many Americans
@sueznewz2 (8745)
• Alicante, Spain
All of the above...we have all of the above in the uk..., I think the underground walkway is becoming a thing of the past though...i've not seen many new ones...
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Probably disappearing because thy're not always safe places to be! Our seemed to have it's problems right from construction in 1903!
@sueznewz2 (8745)
• Alicante, Spain
@valmnz you're right they seemed to attract some unsavoury charectors... that seemed to be up to no good...not to mention the smell...
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
@sueznewz2 you're right abut that!
Deli meats and pretty good sandwiches. Haven't had one in a long time because they quit delivering. No other subways here.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Different things came to mind for people!
@valmnz .....We have a new bus place here. It is partially underground. Not sure if it is finished yet or not.
@lovebuglena (2020)
I have the Subway restaurant near me and a railroad but not an actual subway. I used to sometimes eat at Subway many years ago but have stopped and have no desire for it anymore.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
I don't mind it occasionally. From what I'm learning here, ours may be healthier here than in the US
@valmnz The taste of the sandwiches wasn't bad but for some reason I was turned off that place. Not sure why really.
I think would probably think of a sandwich as I don't have a subway train near me! Just to let you know we call only subs from Subway subs as around the Pittsburgh area, we call what subway cals subs but the name of hoagie!
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
I think only those from Subway shops are called subs here. I'm pretty sure we don't use the term hoagie here in NZ
@valmnz No, I don't think you have them called Hoagies in NZ either. It is mostly a Pittsburgh term. What we natives call Yinzer language. It is that because some people here use the term yinz when referring to a group of one or more persons. i try not to use it as it is not a word really! Also, other examples of yinzer language are redd it up which means to fix something up by cleaning or repairing, etc.. and then there is the one weather people use it is not slippery in winter it is slippy! Without the ER in it! That is used a lot on local station weather reports!
I don't live in a small town, but certainly not one large enough to accommodate a subway rail system. The only Subway here is fast food and one of my favorite places to get something to eat, but even that hasn't crossed my lips in several months as I've done my best to eat healthy.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Compared with other fast foods, subway sandwiches are relatively healthy though.
@valmnz Yes they are.
• Richfield, Utah
I think good, but no longer cheap sub sandwiches..,, I live in rural Utah, so no public transportation here....
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
My subway was a pedestrian walkway, built surprisingly in 1904.
• Richfield, Utah
@valmnz fascinating
@HazySue (15184)
When I think of the word subway I think of a wonderful sub sandwich. I love subway. We have no underground railroads anywhere near us. When I lived up North however, I used to take a subway to work everyday.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
We don't have rail subways in New Zealand, and the one I grew up with was a pedestrian one.
@HazySue (15184)
@valmnz in New York city they are all over the place. I have never seen a pedestrian subway though.
Since I lived in New Jersey most of my life and visited NY City many times my first thought it the subwway system. I am not a fan of Subway food....those sandwiches are not real subs - if they were actually as good as their commercials show them to be it might be a different story.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
TV commercials always over exaggerate don't they!
@valmnz yes they do.
@Neiltarquin (1120)
• Rass, Saudi Arabia
Nothing, I only ate there once. I'm more of a Burger King and McDonalds type of a guy.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
But how about subways as underground transport?
• Rass, Saudi Arabia
@valmnz we also don't have that. What we have is jeepney. So the only thing that crossed to my mind when I hear Subway is the fastfood that sells sandwiches.
@Tracy04 (10060)
Subway? First thing for me is always a train. Never think about food for subway first
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
That's the way I am too
@Tracy04 (10060)
@dramagirl26 (3422)
• Ringgold, Virginia
When I think of Subway, the first thing that comes to mind is the trains, then I think of the restaurant and sandwiches.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Yes, it's good that many people think that. Mine was a pedestrian subway.
@DWDavis (11218)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
When I hear Subway I think of the underground transit system first, and then the fast-food chain.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
And my subway is the walkway that went under the railway yards when I was a kid.