Did Jesus Ever Smile?

@mandala100 (25004)
Hong Kong
I'm always intrigued and fascinated by the common and traditional depiction/rendition of artists/painters in the Christian Art of our Lord Jesus Christ as too formal, too serious and too stiff as if He doesn't know how to smile and laugh at all... I think such painting does not completely shows and renders justice to the entire side of His Humanity... In real life to meet a person who is too formal, too serious and too stiff all the time is a bit strange and a bit boring... And I wonder why if you will enjoy spending your time and your day and even your year with a person who doesn't know how to smile, how to laugh and how to have a great sense of humor at all? Image source: Pinterest
I believe a smile is a gift we give to all we meet.
@mandala100 (25004)
@Corbin5 Yes my friend and I also think that it is also our own way of giving our personal blessings to anyone we meet since when we smile and laugh we generates good vibes and positive energy all around us.
@mandala100 (25004)
@Corbin5 Thanks and Ill see you later.
I smile and laugh all the time.They look at the serious side of this?
@mandala100 (25004)
@amadeo Maybe my friend. That's the "traditional" way in the Christian Art I think on how the artist/painter present His "serious side" to the mind of the public that creates a lot of misconception and misunderstanding: a non-smiling Jesus.
@mandala100 I have not ever seen a smiling one.Now you got me thinking?
@mandala100 (25004)
@amadeo Is that so my friend? I'll see you around.
@Tracy04 (10696)
I'm sure Jesus does.
@mandala100 (25004)
@Tracy04 Yes my friend since I know no human that does not smile.
@Tracy04 (10696)
@mandala100 That's good to hear that your friend is also smiling.
@mandala100 (25004)
@Tracy04 Yes that's true my friend.
@FourWalls (9496)
Also consider that "traditional Christian art" also never portrays Him as a Jewish rabbi. If he looked like those paintings he'd never been allowed in the synagogue or the Temple, and his accusers would never have had to "look for" or invent a charge.
@mandala100 (25004)
@FourWalls Yes my friend like the cloth on one's head like in the picture. Do you think the reason why the "cloth"(I don't know the proper Jewish term for this) on His head was not depicted on His head is to makes a distinction between Christianity and Judaism (in artistic sense/symbolically) in so far as the way they view anything about our Lord Jesus Christ?
@FourWalls (9496)
@mandala100 -- no, the early church fathers, starting about the second century, were a bunch of Jew-haters. Read some of their writings. Why do you think most of Christianity wants nothing to do with the "Old Testament"?
@FourWalls I don't agree that most of Christianity dosn't want anything to do with the Old Testament. There are some who don't see the importance of it, but Jesus said he came to fulfill the law.
I'm sure Jesus did smile. He was a very nice person who had a million reasons to be happy. He is just portrayed as a serious person because of the role he had on earth.
@mandala100 (25004)
@Girlfromtheworld Yes that's so right my friend. Thank you for your comment. I'll see you around.
@mandala100 no problem :)
@mandala100 (25004)
@Girlfromtheworld Ok and I'll see you soon my friend.
@jobelbojel (4716)
I believe that when He called the children He smiled at them.
Jesus said, “Leave the children alone, and don’t try to keep them from coming to me, because the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” Matthew 19:14 CSB
@mandala100 (25004)
@jobeljobel That's what most likely happened if we can recreate that scene in our minds.
@mandala100 (25004)
@jobelbojel Yes my friend that's among the verses that conern the Lord and the children.
@1creekgirl (8327)
Great subject to ponder! I believe Jesus had a great sense of humor.
@mandala100 (25004)
@1creekgirl Yes my friend remembering what our Lord Jesus Christ said about "living our life to the fullest" and I think that smiling, laughing and having a sense of humor is included on how we can "live our life to the fullest" my friend.
@mandala100 I totally agree. God meant for us to be happy with him at the center of our lives.
@mandala100 (25004)
@1creekgirl I absolutely agree with you my friend.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Of course He did. He was human. It is inhumane never to smile. Even animals smile, I am sure.
@mandala100 (25004)
@TiarasOceanView Yes we know that our Lord Jesus Christ smile---I just wonder if those painters/artist who depicted Him otherwise in their paintings were the one who really don't know how to smile and laugh!
• Lakewood, Colorado
@mandala100 Yes maybe they were looking for inspiration to smile again.
@mandala100 (25004)
@TiarasOceanView That's right my friend.
I agree my friend. I believe Jesus laughed and, smiled a lot. God has a sense of humor.
@mandala100 (25004)
@TRBRocks420 You are absolutely correct my friend. Yes indeed God has a sense of humor.
@Rianne009 (187)
It is odd to see Jesus smiling in the picture. Most of the time he looks serious. I even saw one where in Jesus is laughing. I didn't see any problem with it because Jesus also have the reason to smile.
@mandala100 (25004)
@Rianne009 That's right my friend.
@spaceseed (2925)
His blessings are each on us.
@mandala100 (25004)
@spaceseed Yes that's so very true.
@franxav (3636)
Jesus was a very lovely person and he most certainly smiled. We have another picture of laughing Jesus on the wall of our school building.
@mandala100 (25004)
@franxav That's good to hear my friend.
@CRK109 (14365)
I know that Jesus smiled upon the children. He had a special place in his heart for them. And I also know that he smiled upon his mother. And I'm very sure that, along the journey of his short life, he smiled at special times while he was with his friends.
@mandala100 (25004)
@CRK109 Yes my friend that's a good point otherwise if this is not the case the children will be afraid to go near ro come to Him. I remember the children being happy and all smiles whenever they see Santa Claus and have picture taking with him. With more reason can I imagine how the children who comes to Jesus were then so happy greater than the happiness that Santa Claus could give them!
@alberello75 (12968)
• Genova, Italy
We know Jesus for his precious works, which He has done for us. Nobody ever wondered if he was smiling. I believe it, because he was the Spirit of God incarnate in a man! Man like us, who shared everything except the sin! I would love to spend some time with a person who makes me smile. This person, unfortunately, isn't certainly my brother! He just makes only nervous to me!
@mandala100 (25004)
@alberello75 Thank you for your comment my friend as always. What's the trouble with your brother my friend?
@alberello75 (12968)
• Genova, Italy
@mandala100 He is lazy .. in essence, we do not agree!
@mandala100 (25004)
@alberello75 How old is he? I understand you now my friend.
@ridingbet (36277)
i even have the notion that Jesus did not even laugh when he was on earth.