The Loud Sisters Are in the House

Our dad has suffered from hearing loss for 20 years. It took a lot of prodding from family and friends to convince Dad that he needed hearing aides. Even with hearing aides, my sister and I still had to speak up before Dad could comprehend what we were saying. Over the years, the volume of both our voices has had to increase dramatically when we are in Dad's company. Every time Dad acquired new hearing aides, he lost them or broke them due to his constant fiddling with them to make them more comfortable to wear. Dad, at his advanced age, no longer wears hearing aides due to finding them a burden rather than a help. When we visit Dad these days, I am sure all who see us coming probably cringe a bit because the "Loud Sisters" are in the house. We may be the "Loud Sisters," but it is worth perhaps annoying others to be able to talk to our dad. Photo: Dad WWII Naval Aviator
You made me smile, I have the same problem with my mom. She has broken so many hearing aids and now she refuses to buy another. I have a soar throat when I come back from a day spent with her.
Sis and I are exhausted after visiting Dad. Takes a lot of energy to have a conversation with Dad.
@Corbin5 I agree, people cannot understand how hard it is to speak to someone who does not hear well.
I agree that it's worth it.
Yes, Dad is always happy when his loud-talking daughters visit.
@Corbin5 as he should be (:
Sometimes it's good to be loud.
I believe so too!!!
Since he's made his choice, the best thing is go along with it.
Yes, we just try our best so that Dad can engage in conversation with us.
@nanette64 (11953)
• Fairfield, Texas
One things for sure @Corbin5 , he'd sure be able to hear me. I've been told I have a booming voice.
I bet he would hear you, my friend. My parents always said I have a voice that "really carries," which means loud.
@nanette64 (11953)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 LOL. Who needs a dang megaphone!!
@MsBooklover (2022)
I am sure he appreciates your patience.
He does. We are exhausted after every visit, but worth the effort.
@Corbin5 Like a loving daughter.
@ilocosboy (25423)
And being a loud sister for dad is a great thing to do.
It takes a lot of energy to talk that loud for hours, but communicating with Dad is so important.
@ilocosboy (25423)
Sometimes it's the octave of your voice that's the problem. With mom all I had to do was talk in a deeper base ... and loud ... for her to hear me, if I used my normal voice she'd never be able to hear me even when I shouted.
Yes, it is strange that Dads hearing seems to rather normal sometimes and other times he cannot hear a thing. It may be the octave of our voices, like you mentioned.
Mom was like that @Corbin5 she could hear a mans voice if it was fairly low but mine is higher pitched and she just couldn't hear me ..... it was rough on the vocal cords but at least she could hear me when I talked bassy.
My daddy has hearing aids too and we also do the shouting game so he can hear us
Oh yes, it is the shouting game. At Dad's age of 96, he just cannot manage not to break them or lose them.
@Corbin5 the shouting game can either be very frustrating or amusing at times
@Tracy04 (10434)
I understand. Our mom not hear well too.
Yes, many elderly folks have difficulty hearing. I suppose most of us will experience that sooner or later.
@Tracy04 (10434)
@Corbin5 yeah.
@KrauseHome (32388)
People might complain, but hey you should be Lucky to still have him around, and people need to remember to Cherish those moments, as he won't be around forever.
Yes, talk loud we will. We do spoil our dad, and that is how it should be.
@bluesa (9868)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Really such a handsome man. And definitely being able to talk to your Dad is worth anything @Corbin5 :)
Yes, I know our loud talk my disturb the peace and quiet, but communicating with Dad is our top priority.
@ShifaLk (7312)
Oh yes.. my sister's mother in law can't hear well too but she also doesn't like to use the hearing aides
I bet the hearing aides are very uncomfortable for those who are older.
@PatZAnthony (11760)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Dealing with hearing loss is so difficult when young, but as the person gets older it is really so much to handle. So many just refuse to "hear" so maybe they are just tired of listening to us?
I think you may be right. All that listening for 96 years for Dad would lose its appeal, for sure.
@Lucky15 (33671)
the things we do for our love ones :) we do the same thing to a relative that has some issue with hearing and we don't mind the people who give us some look
I bet everyone around us knows our business due to our loud voices, but can't worry about that.
Yes it is and you continue to see your dad you bunch of big mouth women! My old lady that passed a couple years ago was 93 and she was hard of hearing but could hear with the hearing aids, while I was there for a month at her house I put them in daily! I got tired of hearing the t.v. out by the road when I checked her mail.
Yes, my mother-in-law, age 89, has the TV on so loud that I cannot hear her when we talk on the phone. She refuses to wear hearing aides. Dad fiddled with one hearing aide so much that a piece broke off and lodged in his ear canal. We had to go to the ER to have a pro remove that piece. After that, we decided to forget about the hearing aides.
@Hate2Iron (7260)
LOL... the "Loud Sisters" now there is something to add to your family tree... haha Yes, that is what I have been working on since breakfast. I really need to put on a timer, or I would be working on it non stop!
The loud talking has become a habit that carries over into everyday life after so many years of trying to communicate with Dad. I am sure both of us annoy others. Oh well.
You reminded me of when I used to have to talk to my mom. I would have to constantly increase my volume when speaking to her until she said "why are you yelling" and then I knew she heard me LOL. Love that you named yourselves the Loud Sisters
On Sundays, we forget about the church service going on at the nursing home, and I know we have disrupted many a service with our loud voice. After so many years, the loud has become a habit.
@SanyoSan (380)
• Sri Lanka
Is it ur dad in the photo?
Yes, Dad was a naval aviator in WWII. He flew fighter planes. He also earned the Distinguished Flying Cross. We are proud of Dad.
@SanyoSan (380)
• Sri Lanka
Have a nice day loud sistar:D
Wishing you a wonderful day too!!!