Mona Lisa: What's That Mystic/Enigmatic Smile Of Yours?

@mandala100 (35751)
Hong Kong
The painting Mona Liza by Leonardo da Vinci is probably among the most famous paintings in the world. It is more than 500 years old and has been the subject of so many talks and discussion... We often heard about the mystic or enigmatic smile of the subject of this painting. No wonder why the lyrics of the song "Mona Lisa" by Nat King Cole has these rhetorical questions: "Do you smile to tempt a lover, Mona Lisa? Or is this your way to hide a broken heart? Are you warm, are you real, Mona Lisa? Or just a cold and lonely lovely work of art?" The Mona Lisa is a classic work of art and as such will endure... Do you see any mystic or enigmatic smile on the painting Mona Lisa? What could be the reason behind the smile of Mona Lisa or is it merely the artistic effect/style of Leonardo da Vinci on this work of art?
@salonga (27998)
I am actually more interested to know why she does not have eyebrows.
@mandala100 (35751)
@salonga They say that she has in the original painting but due to constant painting restoration the same was wipe out.
@salonga (27998)
@mandala100 Really! I did not know that! I am now tempted to restore her eyebrows lol!
@mandala100 (35751)
@salonga But be careful my friend you might put on her a very bushy or thick eyebrows!
Monna Lisa (La Gioconda) really existed and we also know her name Lisa Gherardini, "Monna" it is the Italian nickname for "Madonna" that derives from Latin Mea Domina. She was the wife of Francesco del Giocondo and Leonardo when he painted the portrait, lived in Florence (Italy) in the house next door to Del Giocondo.
@mandala100 (35751)
@LadyLuck That's right my friend she was the model of the painting.
@mandala100 I am Italian, we studied Leonardo and his works in school.
@mandala100 (35751)
@LadyDuck Alright that's good to know my friend.
@Fishmomma (11523)
I think its a beautiful painting and like the way she is sitting so peaceful to me.
@mandala100 (35751)
@Fishmomma Yes that's true my friend.
@garymarsh6 (13204)
It is as you say probably the most famous painting in the world. Her smile and her eyes that seem to follow you wherever you are in the room.
@mandala100 (35751)
@garymarsh That's right my friend.
A very mysterious smile and I never really thought what was on her mind. There were a lot of theories why she smiled like that. But it's really a beautiful smile and that's the only thing thats running on my mind.
@mandala100 (35751)
@toniganzon Yes my friend. We don't realy need to be a rocket scientist in order to appreciate the beauty of the painting Mona Lisa as work of art by Leonardo da Vinci.
There are so many different stories behind Mona Lisa Who really knows.
@mandala100 (35751)
@jstory07 You are right my friend so many of those stories behind Mona Lisa: facts, fiction and mixtures of those in between perhaps.
@alberello75 (16462)
• Genova, Italy
I know that the "smile" of Mona Lisa has been subject of many controversy in history. Basically, I find there a simple smile, nothing enigmatic for me "behind".
@mandala100 (35751)
@alberello75 You maybe right on this and some people are seeing something that is not really there in the painting my friend.
@alberello75 (16462)
• Genova, Italy
@mandala100 Indeed! I remembered this painting, where behind the portrait there was a bridge. On this posted by you, I can't see it! There are perhaps some variants?
@ridingbet (46688)
i think Mona Lisa is the female facial version of da Vinci.
@mandala100 (35751)
@ridingbet That's possible my friend.
I have seen the Mona Lisa at the Loure and it's smaller and less impressive in person.
@mandala100 (35751)
@JohnRoberts Is that so John my friend? I thought this is a big painting.
@Tracy04 (10575)
No idea.
@mandala100 (35751)
@Tracy04 No problem my friend and I'll see you later.
@Tracy04 (10575)
@mandala100 this friend you talk about must be your wife I guess.
@mandala100 (35751)
@Tracy04 Nope. The word "my friend" refers to you.
I think da Vinci painted what he saw, it's up to the viewers to interpret it any way they like.
• Portland, Connecticut
I don't find her slight smile mysterious at all, maybe she had bad teeth?
@bluesa (13430)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
It seems a little shy and a little secretive, that smile. What she was thinking will always remain a mystery