How gullible are you?

Gullible - According to Dictionary.com - 'easily deceived or cheated' Synonyms include: credulous, trusting, naive, innocent, simple, green The internet has given us the opportunity to communicate with people from all over the world....people we normally would not meet. Since there is no face-to-face interaction and usually no way to verify information, how do we know the people we are talking to are telling the truth? We don't - we have to trust our instincts. I may have been young, trusting and naive many years ago, but that's not me today. I am 99 percent sure I am not easily deceived. I say 99 percent because some people are very good at telling untruths. I can tell you all kinds of things about myself, but are they true? If I were to tell you a bunch of outrageous lies would you believe me, believe my lies? Sure, we get taken once in a while....like buying a 'miracle product' that in no way could possibly work.... But being deceived by another human being is different. How trusting are you? How gullible are you? Photo from PIxabay
@Asylum (45918)
• Manchester, England
I have never considered myself as gullible and always recognise scams instinctively. However, for online acquaintances we have very little to judge by. If a person chooses to masquerade as being different to what they are, it could be impossible to detect. They have the option to think closely before responding. Furthermore we are unable to observe their general demeanour as we could with offline acquaintances.
You said it much more eloquently than I did LOL! I would bet 100 percent you are not gullible. I think you are also one of a kind.
@Asylum (45918)
• Manchester, England
@AbbyGreenhill I have been called 'one of a kind' many times, but rarely as a compliment.
@Asylum Why do you always put yourself down?
I am not gullible, I tend not to trust people, most of the time they invent stories to look "more interesting". I need a certain time to trust someone.
I know what you mean. Trusting people to fast isn't a good thing in many cases. I would prefer the true person.
@AbbyGreenhill It's hard to really know someone you do not meet in person, but from what people write you can spot the liars.
@LadyDuck Yes since mot liars don't remember the lies they tell. If you want to be a good liar you have to have an excellent memory.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
I think after a few years of being online in sites like this we develop an instinct about those we interact with. However, we do need to be careful not to put ourselves into tricky situations.
People wear costums online...Unless you have met the person how do you know if Val is who she says she is? How do you know if I'm who I say?
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
@AbbyGreenhill exacctly, but gut instinct does give us an informed belief. It doesn't take long to realising that something doesn't ring true.
@nanette64 (11929)
• Fairfield, Texas
That's the one good thing about "experience being a good teacher" @AbbyGreenhill . The older we get the more cynical we become. I wouldn't even believe someone if they had their hand on a Bible and swore they were telling the truth.
Unfortunately, there are lot of 'old folks' who don't have experience LOL!
@nanette64 (11929)
• Fairfield, Texas
@AbbyGreenhill Very true. They must have been the 'coddled' ones.
@nanette64 That's one way to put it.
@silvermist (14858)
I am sure that I am not gullible.I do not try to cheat others either.
That's good, keep up the nice job.
@silvermist (14858)
@AbbyGreenhill Thank you.
I trust no one and I assume nothing anymore. Being a landlady has made me think that more people lie than not.
I trust two people.....only. One if myself.
I think I am pretty gullible. I am easily swayed sometimes.
You aren't alone in that I'm sure. I was like that in my younger years.
• Portland, Connecticut
I am skeptical in the extreme. But so far, my experience with the people I have met online has been really good, I have met lots of them in person and they are exactly who they purported to be. But, if someone didn't want to meet, I would assume they have something to hide!!
I have met several from the old writing sites and one I'm friends with and I write for her blog. One turned out to be a little too off the wall for us....he talked non-stop about himself for hours while we sat and had to smile and nod LOL!
• Portland, Connecticut
@AbbyGreenhill Yes well one had a picture that was her so long ago that I didn't recognize her so that was disconcerting and it turned out she wasn't a very nice person so that went nowhere but it was the only one.
@Asylum (45918)
• Manchester, England
It is expected for a person to be different than we think because we tend to create a mental picture of a person, which cannot be accurate. It is like reading a book and then watching the film. We have already created our own image of the characters and even imagine a voice for them. Clearly this character would be impossible to emulate.
@CoralLevang (34411)
Am I gullible? No. I've lived too much of life to be that way. I hope I don't lose that as I start to lose my mind. I can usually smell a scam a mile away. I appreciate that I have an ability to listen to others and watch for cues, even here online. Am I wrong? Most likely, but I can usually spot things fairly easily. I have traveled and stayed with people in Europe that I met here online. But the moment that I met them, I would not have hesitated to change my mind, if I thought I had been wrong. So, does that make me gullible? I guess buy some definitions, yes. But I don't think I'm very gullible. The way I look at it, there are people that I have known for 50 years that have duped me into believing they care. There are people that I have met online, who I would trust with my life.
I trust no one with my life - some days not even my husband. Other than him, no one. I only believe half of what sounds logical and less of what I am sure is a lie but told very well.
@CoralLevang (34411)
@AbbyGreenhill I used to tell people that I believe only half of what people say and I question that!
Like you said how do we know you are telling us the truth here? I either trust so far or do not trust at all. I put up a wall and when it goes down and someone makes me feel terrible then I am angry and do not want to trust again. There are people that I do know that I trust with my heart and others not. I was the only one that knew what these people that lived above me here in my building for two long years were like. They were liars and did not know the truth if they stepped on it. Others did not pay attention, but, since we lived directly below they we got the noise they made. People here would not listen so I was really alone with my cat to deal with it. I hope they are gone and but I think there are some up there again that act the same way. I have not seen anyone so do not know. Sick people are good examples of deceiving people. They can be very charming and then there are those that really see what they are like and others do not. I hope I have learned throughout the years not to be so gullible.
That is right - some lke your example are trying to hide things, but those living close can hear what the truth is.
@AbbyGreenhill So so true.
I think that when I was young I was very gullible. I learned a lot. I am now not very trusting at all. I have learned by trial and error and so I am very vigilant and careful now days. Good common sense and trusting our instincts is very important. Young people don't seem to take this seriously and they should. Even some older folks don't seem to.They are so innocent and trusting it is rather sad.
Sometimes the 'smart ones' with the big degrees have zero common sense. I have a story about that I should share.
@AbbyGreenhill ......Yes, I do as well. Sad. Common sense and communication is so important.
whom do you trust is the question
Myself first and foremost, then my husband, and I won't name the others.
@AbbyGreenhill Okay no whistle blower here.LOL
@Tracy04 (10239)
I don't easily believe people's stories. I tend to think and be quiet rather than give answers straight away.
Many people don't think they jsut respond and that gets them in trouble.
I was very gullible once, not anymore - these days I take everything "with a grain of salt". However I don't stress about it , people will be people , I am just glad I am no longer gullible.
I used to have 'doormat' written on me, but I got over that 30 years ago.
I trust family and close friends, but that is about it. When a person lives long enough, one often learns to trust most due to being disappointed in the past.
Yes, that's for sure. A lot of times family has been the disappointing group.
I used to be very gullible, but not so much these days. I just don;t trust people as much anymore, sad to say.
I think we have to not be trusting, the world isn't a nice place and people are not often nice.
I believe that I am 99.99% not gullible.
That's pretty high, I will have to try to trick you now!
@shikharava (1910)
I'm not gullible. It's really difficult to cheat me...
Not necessarily does it have to be cheated, deceived isn't as bad as being cheated - or is it?
@AbbyGreenhill yes, that too. It's not easy to deceive me
@shikharava I might have to test you on this!
I'm real sceptical of those around me but you never know so if I were to rate how gullible I am i would put it 1.3%
I don't know why people have to 'pretend' to be who they aren't - that's why I don't trust a lof of people in cyberspace.
@AbbyGreenhill like wise. It is hard to trust people out of cyberspace much less those on cyberspace.
@Pheomenon101 I even question myself at times lol
@dollaboy (6370)
A bit Gullible , Abby greenhill
In what ways?
@dollaboy (6370)
@AbbyGreenhill easily cheated sometimes