Why do we need Vitamin D3?

@buenavida (8014)
Sweden
And what about D2? What is the difference? It seems that so many of us get too little Vitamin D3.. It can cause many hetalth problems.. If we are outdoors while the sun shines from at least 45 degrees or higher, we can get the good vitamin from it for free! If our shadow is as long as we are, or shorter, the sun works for us - and that would work during the summer season.. During winter, we have to get the vitamins from other sources, like fish and eggs - animal products..
Vitamin D2 derived from plants and D3 from animal products are thought to be virtually the same; but a study showed one to be twice as effective as the other.
So true, this is why those living in countries where the sun shines all the year round do not need supplements.
@buenavida (8014)
• Sweden
No wonder many like to stay in sunny countries, like Spain and Italy during our winter season..
@buenavida At least south of Italy, the north (where I was born) is not very sunny in winter.
@buenavida (8014)
• Sweden
@LadyDuck OK.. Hopefully the sun works even from behind the clouds too..
@bluesa (13421)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
We have a lot of sunny days here, even in the winter @buenavida , but I still like to take vitamins to help boost and especially vitamin C in winter to help combat colds and flu :)
@buenavida (8014)
• Sweden
Sounds good! Maybe you also eat LOTs of fruit and veggies?!
@bluesa (13421)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@buenavida , I try. Today I had an apple and a tangerine. And carrots with a salad with my dinner.
@Nawsheen (23076)
• Mauritius
I get my dose of Vitamin D everyday. I live in a tropical country and we get to see the sun mostly everyday
@buenavida (8014)
• Sweden
I guess you get good fruits etc too.. enjoy!
@Nawsheen (23076)
• Mauritius
@buenavida oh yes that's true too
@dgobucks226 (12170)
I know vitamin D is very important for bone heath. Deficiency in children can lead to soft bones and deformities like rickets. The sun being a major source of vitamin D, I always wondered what effect it had on mood and depression. I've heard during wintertime people's moods can be different.
@buenavida (8014)
• Sweden
If we live in a place with too little sunshine, we may need a good supplement for D3 - It may help to keep us happier..
@1hopefulman (28461)
Yes, vitamin D3 is very important but are you sure that we can get it from animal products? In the summer I am out a lot and spent a bit of time in the sun each day. In the winter I take a supplement of D3 to be sure but uncertain if it does any good. When I asked a knowledgeable scientist about D3 in the winter I was told that 1000 IU taken daily would not harm me. He also seemed to be unsure if it did any good. My father did not take any supplements and hr lived to be 100.
@buenavida (8014)
• Sweden
Hmmm... maybe not all scientist know how much and if it works.. I take a suppplement in Winter.. who knows if it works..?? Better enjoy the sun, when it is available, in moderation, of course..
@salonga (28016)
We have lots of free Vitamin D here, thank God!
@buenavida (8014)
• Sweden
Congratulations! Enjoy the sun!
@Tracy04 (10839)
Good info.
@buenavida (8014)
• Sweden
Thanks..
Weird. I didnt even know there was a d2 or d3. Interesting info! S
@buenavida (8014)
• Sweden
We always learn something new..
@dragon54u (31617)
There has been a return of rickets in children in the past few years as parents "protect" them from any exposure to the sun. They slather on the sunscreen and keep the kids in the shade and of course the children aren't healthy unless the adults make up for the vitamins they are missing. England had an almost serious rickets problem a couple of years ago due to lack of exposure to the sun but they realized what was happening and now the children take vitamins. At least that's what I've read. If we would do everything in moderation we would have fewer health problems. Every time science comes out with new findings we flock to whatever those results say to eat or drink or stop eating and drinking and doing. It's really ridiculous.
@buenavida (8014)
• Sweden
You are right.. things seem to change all the time.. The fear of fats has been "modern" for a long time, and then some found out that we don't need to stop eating good fats, like real butter, coconut oil etc - seems people have better health and lose weight, especially when they avoid white sugar and flour..