How much space do we need to live in?

Life in a tiny home
South Africa
You know how we go and look at the ultra-large homes of the rich and famous? but the other end of the spectrum - the really tiny homes - can be equally as fascinating. There are many people living in repurposed shipping containers, tiny little 'Wendy' houses and similar. There is even on YouTube a young lady in Japan whose apartment is no wider than her outstretched arms yet she lives very comfortably. So how much space do we really need to live happily and comfortably and how much 'stuff' would we be willing to get rid of to fit into a tiny space - obviously some stuff would have to go
I wish it were just me here..if it was I would be fine with a matchbox. I have no possessions whatsoever and that is the way I want it. Meanwhile someone I live with just keeps gathering stuff.
• South Africa
When you live alone, you can control your space but when there are others - not so easy. Particularly children who spread themselves all over the place.
@QuantumJoy Indeed.
@peachpurple (11800)
@QuantumJoy Yes, children need more space to run about and to grow.
I'm a big fan of tiny homes. I think we should take a real good look at our lives and start living a minimalist life.
• South Africa
Yes - I would like to live with only the very minimum that I need but it is not so easy in practice.
@mandala100 (25865)
@QuantumJoy I think the total area for one's home will depend upon one's need as a general statement or if you are merely looking for pure functionality. But some people really wants to have a big and expensive house if they can afford it my friend.
• South Africa
Yes you are right Peter. Do you long for one of those huge 'palaces'? I know of people who have houses so big they hardly ever go into some of the rooms! I know of others who live completely happily in a tiny one room apartment.
@mandala100 (25865)
@QuantumJoy I just want a simple one my friend we are only 3 in the family" my wife and my dauther and me and we don't really need a big house for us my friend.
• South Africa
@mandala100 You don't need a big house but would you like one? Would you like to wander from room to room and up and down the stairs?
• Pleasant Hill, California
I like small spaces, though I've slightly outgrown my apartment here.
@vandana7 (57764)
Wow Pony ji...me too...I hate things...dad loves them. I can live in about 250 sft..open space...more things more time to dust, clean, settle, waste life...just think I could have done much better than that...the only time I like slightly larger room is when I am sick..i get bored then..looking at same things again and again when sleep is evading me, eyes are hurting while working, and sound is irritating..kinda. That too..under 500 sft will do fine.
• South Africa
@vandana7 I think I would get lonely and feel very selfish if I had a huge mansion to wander around in!
• South Africa
Are you still growing then? Legs getting a little too long to fit in perhaps?
We downsized from a big house to a smaller ranch house, and we have adjusted to a smaller home quite well. Our son is on his own, so the house is just right for my husband and me. We do not miss the space we had before since we did not use all the rooms. We use all the rooms here.
I moved from a bigger apartment to a smaller one. I am very comfortable in this small one. I had to throw lots of things out and still find things to throw out and clean up, but,
• South Africa
I feel so much 'lighter' without all those things. Like you I am still able to unclutter and re-organise.
@QuantumJoy I know what you mean. I was going to put a picture here to show you one of my rooms but decided not to.
• South Africa
@Hannihar Pictures are always good - I love to see how other people love and I don't judge!
@Rondout50 (218)
• Kingston, New York
Having lived in a one room cabin, I would love tiny house. I am a minimalist and live in a two room studio with the same furniture I had in the 20x15 cabin.
• South Africa
I would love to be a minimalist but have not got there yet. Any hints about the transition from lots of stuff to minimum stuff? Do you just jump in and get rid of everything?
@jobelbojel (5596)
I think I saw that video in YouTube. My apartment not as big as the other but I am used to it.
• South Africa
Yes we do get used to the space we are in - humans are very adaptable - think of the astronauts who live quite comfortably on the space station.
@ramapo17 (19513)
• Melbourne, Florida
When I moved in the house I am living now I had to get rid of so much stuff. We moved from a very big house in Pennsylvania and I gave away lots of things but still have enough to fill the house I am in now. I am in a retirement community and the house is bigger than I planned on but we bought it as the price was right. I could still get rid of a lot of stuff now.
@peachpurple (11800)
For my family, a 3 bedroom house is sufficient for 4 of us. I don't need a garden because I am lazy to keep the grass short. I prefer small space
• Austin, Texas
When it comes to living happily and comfortably, it's not about the physical space. Sure I'd rather live in a big house versus a tiny house, but if I have a roof over my head, I can be content. I wouldn't want to be homeless.
@spaceseed (2898)
I like to live in small house, but my wife has other thoughts, If I get achance to stay alone i will have a single room apartment for me
@shshiju (9541)
• Cochin, India
The space belongs to the comfort of all the family members and pets and belongings.
The bigger the house, the more unnecessary stuff we put in. We lived for many years in a small apartment, now we have quite a big home and a lot of things to get rid of.
I think I will love to live here. I don't need to think about having a big place if I am going to live here alone.
@Tracy04 (10627)
I like to live in comfortable house or space
@valmnz (13163)
• New Zealand
I agree, the only reason we accumulate so much unnecessary stuff is that we fill up our available space. We downsized to a smaller place just over ten years ago and have filled it to brimming already. I think we'd all be a lot happier with less.
• Richfield, Utah
There is a tiny house movement going on in my state of Utah right now. But, the state is resisting zoning for these, because they are afraid of losing money on property taxes. Smh I could live in a travel trailer later on after my kids are grown.