Whatever happened to the good coin-operated laundromats?

@CoralLevang (27970)
I want to wash all of my comforters, bed pillows, and mattress pads. my home washer will not accommodate them. So, I have looked in my local County for laundromats with the super size washers and dryers. I have stopped by the three of the five in my county and they were all disgusting. They did not have the extra large washers and dryers that would accommodate more than two small blankets at a time. In each of the three establishments they had one washer each that would accommodate the extra large come from, but they were out of order in all three places. Plus, each of these establishments was filthy dirty. Now it's off to Tacoma 40 miles away that I used to go to when I lived there. I am hoping that the machines are in good repair and that it's as clean as it used to be. The machines are $8.50 a load to wash but it's worth it because dry cleaning would be more expensive and each of these has washing instructions as well. This is not a job that I particularly like to do, but it's necessary that I get it done. As it is just about noon on a Monday morning, I hope that laundromat is not too busy. And what are you doing or did you do on your Monday? That is, except working in an office.
• Richfield, Utah
We have 1 laundromat here, and it's pretty disgusting, one of the dryers caught fire a few years ago and never got replaced, over half of the washers don't work either. Thank god I have my own washer and dryer.
@CoralLevang (27970)
Have my own washer and dryer but they won't accommodate the pillows and comforters
I do hope you find a machine that can accommodate the load you have. I have not been to a laundromat in such a long time. I have not idea what type of machines are available in the ones here.
@CoralLevang (27970)
I did find the place I used to go. Thanks!
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
We live right across the street from one!
@CoralLevang (27970)
That is Uber convenient!
I'm so glad we don't have to go to the public laundries any more. Sorry you have to go so far. There were only a couple here that were maintained. Pretty sad really.
@CoralLevang (27970)
I don't usually have to, but my washing machine and dryer do not accommodate the large blankets and pillows
@CoralLevang .......I understand. Too bad they won't come apart in smaller pieces you could wash and then put back together.
@CoralLevang (27970)
@celticeagle like I mentioned the thelma, the $30 plus gasoline to go to and from was still cheaper than replacing them all
@Freelanzer (5143)
I recall enjoying my jaunts to the laundromat during my university days. Then there were so many around but not so many today.
@CoralLevang (27970)
I do not mind laundromats, as long as they're clean. And it's nice to get everything done all at once. I have my own washer and dryer, but I can't put two pillows in it and I can't put my big comforters in it
@CoralLevang Yes they are useful for large items if they don't fit your home washer. Haven't been to one in decades but still remember when I used them in my youth
@CoralLevang (27970)
@Freelanzer At least the largest washer, I could wash an equivalent of 6 baskets, so I had three dark blankets/comforter and could do them in one washer. I used three washers, though I could have done with two.
Yikes. Sorry none of them are good for you to use. So glad we have our own washer and dryer. *knocks on wood*
@CoralLevang (27970)
I have my own washer and dryer also, but they won't do all these comforters and pillows
@CoralLevang that stinks
I hope that you were able to get them washed
@CoralLevang (27970)
I did, and I thank you!
@CoralLevang that's good.
We have tons in my town. We have about 9 or 10 of them. They all have big and little washers. I have never had to use one though because the washer and dryer we have at home fits my sheets, pillow cases, comforter, blanket, and my pillows.
@CoralLevang (27970)
That's great on both counts!
Hope that your mission to Tacoma is worth the time and effort to get your things washed. Yes, dry cleaning is very expensive
@CoralLevang (27970)
Thank you. I got it all done!
There are many laundromats here that have the big machines to handle comforters. The problem isn't being unkept or enough machines but cost. More quarters are frequently required and in return the drying cycle is fewer minutes thus you have to pump in more quarters.
@CoralLevang (27970)
Their biggest machines cost 750, but you could add an extra rinse and the pre wash. Both the big machines cost $8.50. I could have probably use some of the smaller machines but I went ahead and use all of those machines so that I had room for the dirt than all of that. The dryers were five minutes at $0.25. I ended up spending about $5.50 on the dryers. Both the washers and dryers used debit cards, but I plugged in all the quarters
We just had breakfast and I had some sales on ebay that I got ready to mail. So as soon as the desktop computer finishing updating we will leave to mail the items. I hope the laundromat you go to is clean and empty.
@CoralLevang (27970)
Yes, clean and empty, and expensive. But for about $30 I got all of my blankets and comforters, and mattress pads and pillows washed and . And of course the gas it took me to get to Tacoma! And back! Haha
@SonjaRae (2661)
Come to Tulsa, the place I go to now is super clean! We don't use quarters anymore thank goodness. These new machines have their own unique ATM card, you load the card with money, insert it into the slot on the machine and boom, you are done! Triple Load Washers are $3.00, and the biggest machine they have is $6.00. There are so many machines, regardless of the time of day, I can always do my laundry.
@CoralLevang (27970)
Okay, I'll send you all my dirty undies in the next shipment! Thank you for doing them for me
@SonjaRae (2661)
@CoralLevang what in the halo? I said you can come to Tulsa not send me your dirty draws sicko
@CoralLevang (27970)
@SonjaRae *laughs* I figured that since it's so cheap to do, and you had these bragging rights, I might as well let you do my laundry for me, since you are so good at it.
I hope you find the right place to wash your things. Here in Israel it is Tuesday already. I had a good Monday. I decided to try out something so can get rid of all I have left to sell and start fresh and so I decided to put things on sale. It worked very well, but, not sure how will do next week. I also got my new batteries put in my scooter yesterday so was happy and all and all it was a decent day. I remember those too, but, thank heavens I have a washing machine and plenty of sun in the summer to put my clothes out on a rack to dry.
@CoralLevang (27970)
All are washed, though I still need to put my duvet covers on the comforters. I do have a washer and a dryer, but not one large enough to accommodate the large comforters, mattress pads, and pillows sufficiently. So, are you moving??
@CoralLevang I understand. Me, no I hope I we can stay her as long as possible.
@CoralLevang (27970)
@Hannihar you were saying that you were selling off things, so I thought maybe you were moving
@RubyHawk (14951)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I don't use large bed coverings but I don't wash them in my washer. Our Complex has a laundromat and I use those for large pieces.
@CoralLevang (27970)
Even my mattress pad is not able to fit well for washing in the machine at home.
@RubyHawk (14951)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@CoralLevang I don't put anything heavy in my washer. I take heavy pieces to the complex laundromat. But as you say I don't remember the last time I saw an old fashioned laundromat.
@CoralLevang (27970)
@RubyHawk they certainly seem to be fewer and farther between
I can't remember the last time I needed one of those horrid places. Oh yes I do it was in 1999 and we were here, TN, on vacation staying at a motel. We had to use on in town and it was 6 pm and the temp outside was 105 and in the building must have been 140. It was awful. When we put out last home on the market I wanted to wash the queen quilt/shams and didn't want to spend time in one of those - so I took them to the dry cleaners! Easier on me! Now I have the big washer/dryer so I can do my king size one at home.
@CoralLevang (27970)
I loved reading your story! I could so feel your pain! I'm glad you have one of those nice big ones now to do the work. What a great convenience at home!
@CoralLevang I make my life easier, not harder. I avoid all un-necessary work - just ask my husband - he does it all!
@CoralLevang (27970)
@AbbyGreenhill good you found him!
@Srbageldog (1239)
The last time I went to the laundromat at the end of my block there was a cockroach running around inside one of the machines. Blech. I do my laundry at my parents' house but their machine isn't big enough for bigger blankets.
@CoralLevang (27970)
It would be nice to live close to someone to take it over to their house to do my laundry! Especially if they have one of those huge blanket loading machines like @AbbyGreenhill does! Hey Abby! Will you adopt me?
@CoralLevang you want the long or short answer?
@CoralLevang (27970)
@Lucky15 (31295)
Monday has been tiring, have to travelled back and back to work
@CoralLevang (27970)
Do you live far away from work?
@Lucky15 (31295)
@CoralLevang not really, i just took a short trip to my second home :)
@CoralLevang (27970)
@Lucky15 You have two homes? wow.
@Tracy04 (6197)
As usual, Korean drama
@CoralLevang (27970)
Enjoy your Korean Drama!
@Tracy04 (6197)
@CoralLevang will do!
The coin-operated laundromats are sprouting like mushrooms here in our city. Back then, it was only wash and dry clean services and it is only this year that do-it-yourself laundromats are beginning to open up. Tuesday morning here in Manila and I'm at the office pretending to work.
@CoralLevang (27970)
I like laundromats in the sense one can do it all at once.
@CoralLevang true that.
Did you find the place in Tacoma was still as clean and have the right dryers? The only time I ever had a comforter cleaned is because of my sister paid for it when she had my nephew 12 years ago and came to stay with my parents and me and one of the two dogs she brought threw up on my quilt she was using,. So my sister offered to get it dry cleaned, and i had not cleaned it since My sister did put my pillow in the sanitary part of the dryer i have in my home washer when i was in the hospital the first time this year did you get them done today?
@CoralLevang (27970)
Yes I got everything done. And I'll be home in just a few minutes.
@CoralLevang That is great you got it all done! I hope you have a good dinner as I think it is around your dinner time? Are you having a dinner of food you froze?